• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Round in the chamber?

DrumGuru

Hey folks. I am brand new to this forum, and I am really glad I ran across it. I have wanted to start OCing for a while and there is a lot of great information in this forum. I have been debating on CCW but I really am not interested in adding my name to that government watch list.

I do have one question that I have not seen asked here, I admit I didn't dig too deep, about OC in North Carolina, particularly the Greensboro area. When OCing in NC are you allowed to have a round in the chamber. I have seen a ton of videos regarding this topic and it always seems as if LEO's will check to make sure a round is not chambered. Can anyone tell me if this is allowed or not? I never keep a round in the chamber when the gun is in my home, just in case someone was to somehow grab the weapon that shouldn't, (ie. child), but I have never seen a law or ordinance pertaining to OC.

Also, does anyone from Greensboro area know of any places that should be avoided while OCing, minus the obvious govn't buildings and public parks? Maybe places you have had a problem with in the past?

Jamesm760

One in the chamber is ok and legal. Not sure why any LEO would even disarm you... It's been a while since I heard of someone in NC being approached by a LEO because they are OCing... IDK why they would disarm you, or why you would even talk to them and let it get that far to the point where they want to disarm you to have a conversation....

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Worried about it? Keep a round with just the primer & no projectile or gunpowder .... it it goes pop, you'll get the answer you desire.

WalkingWolf

North Carolina does not distinguish between loaded and unloaded. You can carry in any condition you like as long as you do not handle your firearm in public.

DrumGuru

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...e-a-loaded-magazine-while-open-carrying-in-NC

Your question is answered here. As you are new, you may not have noticed the "search" option at the top of your screen. Welcome to OCDO.

Thanks for the link. It answered a lot of questions. Thank you for all other responses as well. What type of rounds do most of you guys recommend for OC? I have a Springfield XD .40 subcompact and keep it loaded with Horniday rounds for home defense. I use Federal FMJ's for the range.

DrumGuru

One in the chamber is ok and legal. Not sure why any LEO would even disarm you... It's been a while since I heard of someone in NC being approached by a LEO because they are OCing... IDK why they would disarm you, or why you would even talk to them and let it get that far to the point where they want to disarm you to have a conversation....

I don't have any OC experiences personally, only what I see happen to others. I haven't seen much from NC, but I have seen a lot of LEO's that will disarm a person for the LEO's safety while they are "investigating." If you are doing nothing wrong I know they have no right to disarm or investigate, but there are some bad LEO's out there who don't know, or abide by the laws.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Thanks for the link. It answered a lot of questions. Thank you for all other responses as well. What type of rounds do most of you guys recommend for OC? I have a Springfield XD .40 subcompact and keep it loaded with Horniday rounds for home defense. I use Federal FMJ's for the range.

Here's a link that I have found very informative: http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/#.38spl/.357mag

Based on advice from several federal LEO friends, I keep Speer Gold Dots in my carry pistols, but use FMJ for the range. Whatever you decide to use for Self Defense ammunition, make sure you fire a couple of magazines' worth through your XD to make certain it "likes" it.