Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Taurus TCP questions

  1. #1
    Regular Member hhofent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    142

    Taurus TCP questions

    My sister just turned 21, so her and I just went down to Scheels and she got her first handgun. She wanted her first to be one she can carry in a flash-bang holster(believe me, she can handle a .44), so she settled on a taurus tcp .380 acp.

    When we got home, she loaded it and tried cycling a round through by hand, and it caught, wedged in the slide. It looks like the round is too long for the gun. The rounds are Hornady hollow points, and the box says .380 auto.
    Are .380 auto and .380 acp the same thing?
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    Could it be that hallow points are longer than FMJs?

    We never fired it yet, and quite frankly im a little worried about when we do.
    Last edited by hhofent; 04-24-2014 at 01:37 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,201
    380 auto and 380 acp same thing.

    If it is not to long for the magazine it should fit.

    Did she get slide racked back far enough for it to cycle properly.

    Did she ride the slide forward doesn't take much to slow the slide down.

    The one I shot worked well don't remember what ammo was used.

    But the lady that owned it had a hard time operating the slide.

    Those very small guns are nice to carry but can be hard to operate.

    Take a dial calibers and measure the length if it is in specs I would say it could very well be operator error.

    But some pistols well not function with all ammo.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 04-24-2014 at 08:29 AM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  3. #3
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    I own 2 Taurus TCP .380's and both had to go through a "break in" period before they functioned the way that they should . Both of mine have done the same exact thing that you describe. After about about 100-200 rounds being fired through it you will noticed that everything is fine and loosened up. My first thought was the same as yours. "is the mag screwed up?", "is the ammo too long?", "is this gun junk?". But it is simply that the gun is not broken in yet. Run a few boxes through it and report back, please.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  4. #4
    Regular Member hhofent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    142
    Thank you all very much for not only answering my questions, but giving me a bunch of good info regarding tcps.

    Sent from my SCH-R680 using Tapatalk 2

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,797
    I got a TCP for the wife a few years back and it has a similar issue. The first round of the mag pretty much always catches. It seems like the feed ramp doesn't properly load the first round when you simply rack the slide unless you push the rear of the barrel down, but once firing the gun loads just fine. While I'm not a fan of the gun, I have put around 200-300 rounds through it and it still does this.

  6. #6
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    I got a TCP for the wife a few years back and it has a similar issue. The first round of the mag pretty much always catches. It seems like the feed ramp doesn't properly load the first round when you simply rack the slide unless you push the rear of the barrel down, but once firing the gun loads just fine. While I'm not a fan of the gun, I have put around 200-300 rounds through it and it still does this.
    The TCP's in 380acp are notorious for feed issues. The A&B models are most prone to misfeeds. The fix has been to return the firearms to Taurus & they machine the feed ramp to allow for better feeding. Taurusarmed.net is full of threads on this issue. Try using FMJ instead of hollow points as they will feed better & out of such a short barrel the expansion/penetration of a JHP in this caliber is reduced significantly. As a general rule any caliber that runs below 1000 fps it's usually better to go with FMJ's. Why? A JHP can't do it's job well if it only travels 3-5 inches in the body.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,797
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    The TCP's in 380acp are notorious for feed issues. The A&B models are most prone to misfeeds. The fix has been to return the firearms to Taurus & they machine the feed ramp to allow for better feeding. Taurusarmed.net is full of threads on this issue. Try using FMJ instead of hollow points as they will feed better & out of such a short barrel the expansion/penetration of a JHP in this caliber is reduced significantly. As a general rule any caliber that runs below 1000 fps it's usually better to go with FMJ's. Why? A JHP can't do it's job well if it only travels 3-5 inches in the body.
    All of the rounds fired in the gun have been FMJ but I'll see about sending the gun off once I leave this state and have access to the gun again.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    300
    I assume it came with two mags. If so, try the other mag. My wifes was doing the same thing but with only one mag, the other worked fine. I called Taurus and they sent out another one to us. Problem solved. That's the only issue we've had other than getting used to the flea sized front sight.

  9. #9
    ScottEdvin
    Guest
    Taurus makes a good quality gun. I have one Taurus revolvers and it is good reliable guns. I prefer a snub nose .357 mag. I know that a .357 may be intimidating but the nice thing about them is that you can also shoot .38 Special rounds in them.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,201
    I have found the Taurus firearms quality can be hit and miss they can make some good guns but once in a while some duds come out.

    I own two Taurus revolvers one had to be sent back for issues works fine now. I picked up a brand new TI 41 mag and locked the action up by cocking it wouldn't do any thing locked up tight. Trigger wouldn't move hammer wouldn't drop.

    It was sent back in that condition.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,797
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangkiller View Post
    I assume it came with two mags. If so, try the other mag. My wifes was doing the same thing but with only one mag, the other worked fine. I called Taurus and they sent out another one to us. Problem solved. That's the only issue we've had other than getting used to the flea sized front sight.
    It happens with both mags.

    The odd thing is that the first time I went to the range with it this wasn't a problem. It wasn't until I took it apart and cleaned it that it started happening. I have taken it apart several times since then and still continue to have the problem.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •