Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPECIAL MEMORIAL DAY OC Breakfast Sat 5/24 9:30 AM River City Diner I-95 & Parham Rd

SPECIAL MEMORIAL DAY OC Breakfast Sat 5/24 9:30 AM River City Diner I-95 & Parham Rd

Texas OCDO member HPmatt will be gracing the Old Dominion on the Saturday of the Memorial Day weekend and we have invited him to experience OCing in a group setting.

The after party will include a trip to Capitol Square for him to experience OCing in front of elected representatives (even if they are not his). Depending on the time available* we may take him on a tour of some of the sight - so far the suggestions are the world's largest collection of second place trophies, Hollywood Cemetary, Belle Isle, and/or Fountain Lake/Swan Lake.

Pencil this in your calendars now. RSVPs would be nice as we approach the date so we can arrange space with RCD folks.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Always enjoy meeting our brothers from other states - looking forward to this.

Richmond's nickel tour is hard to beat - must include drive down Monument Avenue.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Always enjoy meeting our brothers from other states - looking forward to this.

Richmond's nickel tour is hard to beat - must include drive down Monument Avenue*.
    AKA The world's Largest Collection of Second Place Trophies.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Looking forward to OC in the Old Dominion. With all the folks moving to Texas, not sure how many know Sam Houston was born down the road from Lexington VA. His dad gave part of the acreage that makes up the Washington & Lee University campus.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sam Houstonv1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	11607Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lee chpl.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	11608Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nov10_WL.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	11609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wmsbrg.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	11610Attachment 11611

Since our daughter has been attending school in the Shenandoah Valley it sure has been a great experience for me and my family to visit and actually see the places where so many of the founders of country grew up and the countryside that has not changed too much. I have spent most of my time on the revolutionary war - it has been 5 years - there is just so much to see...

Daughter is now graduating and moving to Arlington VA with a job at a for-profit company. Looking forward to additional trips, with oppty to explore the Northern Neck, the Chesapeake and the Eastern shore. Was able to convince her and her roommates that living in VA was the right thing to do as opposed to DC.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

So the Old Dominion's nickname as "Father of Presidents" covers two nations. Learn something new every day.

Be prepared to explain (I know there is no defending) Texas law against OCing. I just want to see if any of the stuff I have been told approaches the reality of the situation.

Looking forward to meeting you.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Looking forward to OC in the Old Dominion. With all the folks moving to Texas, not sure how many know Sam Houston was born down the road from Lexington VA. His dad gave part of the acreage that makes up the Washington & Lee University campus.
    Yeah on Rt11 just north of Lexington there is a "Sam Houston Wayside". I noticed it several years ago, but was never driving anything small enough to be allowed to stop there. However, I did read up for some research to find out that he was indeed born in that area.

--snipped--.

Daughter is now graduating and moving to Arlington VA with a job at a for-profit company. Looking forward to additional trips, with oppty to explore the Northern Neck, the Chesapeake and the Eastern shore. Was able to convince her and her roommates that living in VA was the right thing to do as opposed to DC.
    Very good decision. The yamn dankies keep trying to make it into a D.C. suburb though.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Here's a thought…,

since you're interested in the Revolutionary period, have you been to one of the re-enactments of Patrick Henry's famous "Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death" speech at St. John's Church in Richmond? They schedule them on Sundays starting at 1:15 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. I believe, but I can check it out for sure and get back. It's also free, but they do ask you to consider a $5.00 donation, which seems quite fair to me, and I believe the next one is on May 25th. I wouldn't mind going to that myself.

Here's the question though, will you be able to OC there? Anybody got any experience with this particular venue?

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.
    Last edited by sidestreet; 05-15-2014 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Caps

Regular Member Liberty-or-Death's Avatar
    I've been there but didn't carry. It's private property, and to my knowledge and recollection, there are no signs posted either at the sidewalk entrance, the church, or the visitor's center. It is an active church that holds regular worship services, so that must be considered when carrying, but otherwise, I don't see any reason why one shouldn't carry there. I think it would be highly ironic if carry was prohibited.

μολών λαβέ
    Last edited by Liberty-or-Death; 05-15-2014 at 09:41 AM.
    Be active.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty-or-Death View Post
    I've been there but didn't carry. It's private property, and to my knowledge and recollection, there are no signs posted either at the sidewalk entrance, the church, or the visitor's center. It is an active church that holds regular worship services, so that must be considered when carrying, but otherwise, I don't see any reason why one shouldn't carry there. I think it would be highly ironic if carry was prohibited.

μολών λαβέ
    We have "good and sufficient reason" - so saith the former AG in his legal opinion.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...YPLD_blog.html

Regular Member Liberty-or-Death's Avatar
    We have "good and sufficient reason" - so saith the former AG in his legal opinion.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...YPLD_blog.html
    No reason needed "while a meeting for religious purposes is [NOT] being held", as during a historical reenactment, or while on a guided history tour. Carry on!

μολών λαβέ
    Be active.

Quote Originally Posted by sidestreet View Post
    since you're interested in the Revolutionary period, have you been to one of the re-enactments of Patrick Henry's famous "Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death" speech at St. John's Church in Richmond? They schedule them on Sundays starting at 1:15 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. I believe, but I can check it out for sure and get back. It's also free, but they do ask you to consider a $5.00 donation, which seems quite fair to me, and I believe the next one is on May 25th. I wouldn't mind going to that myself.
    Here's the question though, will you be able to OC there? Anybody got any experience with this particular venue?

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

you know the rule, announce it and people will show up. Might be a good thing to do if our Texan friend is still around on the Sunday

does anyone have access to a 15+ passenger vehicle that we could perhaps use to give HPmatt a decent tour of the city. I don't mind planning a route, talking about some of the sights or driving it, I just don't have the vehicle

Bumping to the top.

It's next weekend, folks.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    does anyone have access to a 15+ passenger vehicle that we could perhaps use to give HPmatt a decent tour of the city. I don't mind planning a route, talking about some of the sights or driving it, I just don't have the vehicle
    Access to a 15-passenger van is probable. Donations for gas will be gratefully accepted.

Do NOT let the driver have a bullhorn!

We can use my Handicapped Parking placard, since I am claiming shotgun.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Access to a 15-passenger van is probable. Donations for gas will be gratefully accepted.

Do NOT let the driver have a bullhorn!

We can use my Handicapped Parking placard, since I am claiming shotgun.

stay safe.
    Please to 'splain "probable" specific to these plans.

Yes, I am good to go - wouldn't miss this.

Dear Kind and Loving Heavenly Father, please forgive me…,

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    for the first thought I had when I first saw this quote and who posted it. My sense of humor almost overrode my better judgement!

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

p.s Header should read "Dear Kind and Loving Heavenly Father, please forgive me…," can somebody fix it for me? It did work, thanks scouser!
    Last edited by sidestreet; 05-19-2014 at 03:00 PM.

Please to 'splain "probable" specific to these plans.

Yes, I am good to go - wouldn't miss this.
    At the time I wrote that it was not set in stone. It is now cast in concrete.

We have a van. I repeat, I call shotgun!

stay safe.
    Last edited by skidmark; 05-17-2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: "now" - not "not"!! Now cast in concrete

----Allahpundit

ok, skid called shotgun, who is calling revolver, AR, semi-auto pistol ?

this was added on edit to see if it works .. and yes it does

Quote Originally Posted by sidestreet View Post
    p.s Header should read "Dear Kind and Loving Heavenly Father, please forgive me…," can somebody fix it for me?
    once you have clicked "edit" to change your post try clicking on the "go advanced" option. That gives you the opportunity to edit your title
    Last edited by scouser; 05-17-2014 at 06:31 PM.

I gratefully arrived in VA this morning - was on the Dallas cabin crew training flight with 2 newbies, 2 trainees and I think this was the pilot's first time outside the simulator to land a Super 80. I'm up for Richmond on Saturday morning but need to move on to Gastonia SC by Saturday night. Plan to walk Kings Mountain and Cowpens battlegrounds Sunday morning. Hope the van tour works for Saturday but that would miss Patrick Henry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

I gratefully arrived in VA this morning - was on the Dallas cabin crew training flight with 2 newbies, 2 trainees and I think this was the pilot's first time outside the simulator to land a Super 80. I'm up for Richmond on Saturday morning but need to move on to Gastonia SC by Saturday night. Plan to walk Kings Mountain and Cowpens battlegrounds Sunday morning. Hope the van tour works for Saturday but that would miss Patrick Henry.

The re-enactments are on Sundays so the Saturday 'tour' wouldn't interfere. If memory serves me correctly the re-enactments run from Memorial Day to Labor Day if you're planning on returning

Welcome back to Virginia.

Hope they didn't bounce you around too much, any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing.

Think we may be able to fit Patric Henry into the tour + General Assembly Bldg or just to take your picture with Geo. Washington in the rotunda of the Capitol building - will check with our tour director.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 05-17-2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: fixed it

We're keeping the traditional 9:30 AM start time - unless someone decides differently & posts both in Events and the other part of the Va forum.

You let us know when you want to be on the road to get to Gastonia. (Mapquest says 5 hours) That way we can figure out how much time we have and set up the tour route.

If you have any special sights (besides OCing in the Capitol) let us know so the tour director will be sure to include them.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Well, I will most definitely be there. The wife is also trying to convince her mother and grandmother, who will be here from Connecticut on "vacation" to break their itinerary for that day, and attend. Hell, they always want to look at stuff around Richmond, so this would be a great way to do it. Plus, they are among the 2A advocates from CT, so we could end up with attendance from three states.
    "Now, why believe in anything they praise,
    When one hand holds them the victor,
    While the other holds the shovel to their graves?"
    ~~~Claudio Sanchez

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast