• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SPECIAL MEMORIAL DAY OC Breakfast Sat 5/24 9:30 AM River City Diner I-95 & Parham Rd

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
SPECIAL MEMORIAL DAY OC Breakfast Sat 5/24 9:30 AM River City Diner I-95 & Parham Rd

Texas OCDO member HPmatt will be gracing the Old Dominion on the Saturday of the Memorial Day weekend and we have invited him to experience OCing in a group setting.

The after party will include a trip to Capitol Square for him to experience OCing in front of elected representatives (even if they are not his). Depending on the time available* we may take him on a tour of some of the sight - so far the suggestions are the world's largest collection of second place trophies, Hollywood Cemetary, Belle Isle, and/or Fountain Lake/Swan Lake.

Pencil this in your calendars now. RSVPs would be nice as we approach the date so we can arrange space with RCD folks.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Always enjoy meeting our brothers from other states - looking forward to this.

Richmond's nickel tour is hard to beat - must include drive down Monument Avenue.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Always enjoy meeting our brothers from other states - looking forward to this.

Richmond's nickel tour is hard to beat - must include drive down Monument Avenue*.

AKA The world's Largest Collection of Second Place Trophies. :p

stay safe.

HPmatt

Looking forward to OC in the Old Dominion. With all the folks moving to Texas, not sure how many know Sam Houston was born down the road from Lexington VA. His dad gave part of the acreage that makes up the Washington & Lee University campus.
Sam Houstonv1.jpglee chpl.jpgNov10_WL.jpgWmsbrg.jpgView attachment 11611

Since our daughter has been attending school in the Shenandoah Valley it sure has been a great experience for me and my family to visit and actually see the places where so many of the founders of country grew up and the countryside that has not changed too much. I have spent most of my time on the revolutionary war - it has been 5 years - there is just so much to see...

Daughter is now graduating and moving to Arlington VA with a job at a for-profit company. Looking forward to additional trips, with oppty to explore the Northern Neck, the Chesapeake and the Eastern shore. Was able to convince her and her roommates that living in VA was the right thing to do as opposed to DC.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
So the Old Dominion's nickname as "Father of Presidents" covers two nations. Learn something new every day.

Be prepared to explain (I know there is no defending) Texas law against OCing. I just want to see if any of the stuff I have been told approaches the reality of the situation.

Looking forward to meeting you.

stay safe.

scouser

Looking forward to OC in the Old Dominion. With all the folks moving to Texas, not sure how many know Sam Houston was born down the road from Lexington VA. His dad gave part of the acreage that makes up the Washington & Lee University campus.

Yeah on Rt11 just north of Lexington there is a "Sam Houston Wayside". I noticed it several years ago, but was never driving anything small enough to be allowed to stop there. However, I did read up for some research to find out that he was indeed born in that area.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--.

Daughter is now graduating and moving to Arlington VA with a job at a for-profit company. Looking forward to additional trips, with oppty to explore the Northern Neck, the Chesapeake and the Eastern shore. Was able to convince her and her roommates that living in VA was the right thing to do as opposed to DC.
Very good decision. The yamn dankies keep trying to make it into a D.C. suburb though. :uhoh:

sidestreet

Here's a thought…,

since you're interested in the Revolutionary period, have you been to one of the re-enactments of Patrick Henry's famous "Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death" speech at St. John's Church in Richmond? They schedule them on Sundays starting at 1:15 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. I believe, but I can check it out for sure and get back. It's also free, but they do ask you to consider a $5.00 donation, which seems quite fair to me, and I believe the next one is on May 25th. I wouldn't mind going to that myself.

Here's the question though, will you be able to OC there? Anybody got any experience with this particular venue?

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Last edited:

Liberty-or-Death

I've been there but didn't carry. It's private property, and to my knowledge and recollection, there are no signs posted either at the sidewalk entrance, the church, or the visitor's center. It is an active church that holds regular worship services, so that must be considered when carrying, but otherwise, I don't see any reason why one shouldn't carry there. I think it would be highly ironic if carry was prohibited.

μολών λαβέ

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've been there but didn't carry. It's private property, and to my knowledge and recollection, there are no signs posted either at the sidewalk entrance, the church, or the visitor's center. It is an active church that holds regular worship services, so that must be considered when carrying, but otherwise, I don't see any reason why one shouldn't carry there. I think it would be highly ironic if carry was prohibited.

μολών λαβέ

We have "good and sufficient reason" - so saith the former AG in his legal opinion.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...or-self-defense/2011/04/11/AFvTYPLD_blog.html

scouser

since you're interested in the Revolutionary period, have you been to one of the re-enactments of Patrick Henry's famous "Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death" speech at St. John's Church in Richmond? They schedule them on Sundays starting at 1:15 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. I believe, but I can check it out for sure and get back. It's also free, but they do ask you to consider a $5.00 donation, which seems quite fair to me, and I believe the next one is on May 25th. I wouldn't mind going to that myself.
Here's the question though, will you be able to OC there? Anybody got any experience with this particular venue?

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

you know the rule, announce it and people will show up. Might be a good thing to do if our Texan friend is still around on the Sunday

scouser

does anyone have access to a 15+ passenger vehicle that we could perhaps use to give HPmatt a decent tour of the city. I don't mind planning a route, talking about some of the sights or driving it, I just don't have the vehicle

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
does anyone have access to a 15+ passenger vehicle that we could perhaps use to give HPmatt a decent tour of the city. I don't mind planning a route, talking about some of the sights or driving it, I just don't have the vehicle

Access to a 15-passenger van is probable. Donations for gas will be gratefully accepted.

Do NOT let the driver have a bullhorn!

We can use my Handicapped Parking placard, since I am claiming shotgun.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Access to a 15-passenger van is probable. Donations for gas will be gratefully accepted.

Do NOT let the driver have a bullhorn!

We can use my Handicapped Parking placard, since I am claiming shotgun.

stay safe.

Please to 'splain "probable" specific to these plans.

Yes, I am good to go - wouldn't miss this.

sidestreet

Dear Kind and Loving Heavenly Father, please forgive me…,

for the first thought I had when I first saw this quote and who posted it. ;) My sense of humor almost overrode my better judgement!

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

p.s Header should read "Dear Kind and Loving Heavenly Father, please forgive me…," can somebody fix it for me? It did work, thanks scouser!

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Please to 'splain "probable" specific to these plans.

Yes, I am good to go - wouldn't miss this.

At the time I wrote that it was not set in stone. It is now cast in concrete.

We have a van. I repeat, I call shotgun!

stay safe.

Last edited:

scouser

this was added on edit to see if it works .. and yes it does

p.s Header should read "Dear Kind and Loving Heavenly Father, please forgive me…," can somebody fix it for me?

once you have clicked "edit" to change your post try clicking on the "go advanced" option. That gives you the opportunity to edit your title

Last edited: