• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking to get into shooting

oneallaustin

Hi, you can probably tell that my name is Austin, I live in Spokane, WA. I'm new here and in fact I am very new to fire arms in general. I've never owned a gun in my life, but, the way the world has been shaping out I feel like buying a fire arm may be necessary soon. I plan on getting my conceal carry permit as soon as I turn 21. (I'm 20 now) But I was just hoping to shed some light on my situation. I would like to know if there is anywhere is Spokane that any of you know of where I could go and learn how to shoot a pistol before that day comes and if it's even legal. I've been looking at the glock 26 gen 4 as the pistol I want to buy when the day comes. It's small and would be easy to conceal, and I hope that I would never have to show it. The point here is I feel like I should know what operating a fire arm is like before I actually settle down and get one of my own.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO Austin. Lots of really good people here.

You have a very responsible approach to owning and carrying a handgun. I'm sure that some locals will chime in with recommendations for a good instructor soon - never too much training.

Consider attending local meet-n' greets - face time with ol' hands is invaluable.

Spend some time perusing the Washington sub-forum and absorb all that you can. Washington allows you to OC (open carry), so you have the choice to OC or CC after you get your CPL.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...e-Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Open-Carry

Perkins

Most of the places I've encountered like you to have your CPL before you take their class. Since the CPL just requires passing a background check and paying a fee, anyone can get it. Having one also lets your instructor know that you've passed a background check. If you're new to firearms, I'd recommend getting some training before you buy one. You'll want to get one that works well for you, and that is easier if you can compare them to stuff you've shot before. As for the training, Sharpshooting indoor range is at N 1200 Freya Spokane WA. My brother got some advice from them, and thought they were competent. I don't know what their prices run for training. I also know there is a group up in the DP area talking about doing a firearms intro course, probably next month. I don't know the details on it yet, I don't think there *are* many details yet. If it comes together, it'd require a valid CPL, but would probably be given at cost. Remember there is up to a 30 day wait for the CPL, 'though spokane county tends to turn it around in a couple weeks.

WalkingWolf

Welcome to OCDO, and thank you for considering taking your own destiny into your own hands. And not relying on government or another to do it for you. While your chances of ever being involved and having a need for a firearm are very slim, there is always a chance, albeit a small one.

Yes the world seems to be scary place, but to be honest it always has seemed that way. In all my years I have not found it scary at all, or dangerous but I was always prepared. Kinda like keeping my car and truck in good repair, not because I was expecting an accident, but because I want to avoid an accident.

You have gotten good advice on getting your feet wet, don't get discouraged if it takes time to get your skills honed. Relax and enjoy yourself but always keep safety as the most important part of carrying on your mind.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I've been looking at the glock 26 gen 4 as the pistol I want to buy when the day comes. It's small and would be easy to conceal, and I hope that I would never have to show it... ..

Welcome to OCDO Austin. You do know that the OC in OCDO is for Open Carry,eh? Most of us do.
My Sweet Baboo carries a glock 26. It conceals well when you have to, but Lori keeps a glock 17 magazine with a grip adapter for Open Carry. look here http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-XGGL26-27

Perkins...glad to see you here, been lurking for a while,eh? Welcome to OCDO.

WalkingWolf

Welcome to OCDO Austin. You do know that the OC in OCDO is for Open Carry,eh? Most of us do.
My Sweet Baboo carries a glock 26. It conceals well when you have to, but Lori keeps a glock 17 magazine with a grip adapter for Open Carry. look here http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-XGGL26-27

Perkins...glad to see you here, been lurking for a while,eh? Welcome to OCDO.

All three of our Glocks are full size, since we are open carry mostly I see no sense in mini glocks that IMO are too thick for CC. When the need to conceal comes, for the wife, she uses either a PA-63 or a JA-380. Helll she can conceal a 1911 better than any Glock except for maybe the 42. The slide on the glock is just too thick for comfortable concealment. But then others mileage may vary.

EMNofSeattle

Hi, you can probably tell that my name is Austin, I live in Spokane, WA. I'm new here and in fact I am very new to fire arms in general. I've never owned a gun in my life, but, the way the world has been shaping out I feel like buying a fire arm may be necessary soon. I plan on getting my conceal carry permit as soon as I turn 21. (I'm 20 now) But I was just hoping to shed some light on my situation. I would like to know if there is anywhere is Spokane that any of you know of where I could go and learn how to shoot a pistol before that day comes and if it's even legal. I've been looking at the glock 26 gen 4 as the pistol I want to buy when the day comes. It's small and would be easy to conceal, and I hope that I would never have to show it. The point here is I feel like I should know what operating a fire arm is like before I actually settle down and get one of my own.

if you have money you can actually legally purchase a handgun in Washington now if it's from a private party.

As far as training, you should call your local shooting ranges, my local range offers a wide variety of classes throughout the year, so maybe a shooting range in the Spokane area offers classes. also another lead, occassionally instructors for Utah CCW licenses host classes in Cabelas in Lacey, so maybe you should check to see if a class is at the Cabelas in Post Falls

I'd PM Jeff Hayes, he's on this forum under his real name, he's in your area and knows alot......

perkins said:
Most of the places I've encountered like you to have your CPL before you take their class. Since the CPL just requires passing a background check and paying a fee, anyone can get it. Having one also lets your instructor know that you've passed a background check.

Will these classes accept a WA State Patrol WATCH check?

Last edited:

Perkins

MSG, I've been around about a year and a half, found you guys when I was trying to decide if I wanted to get an open carry gun (which I did last august). EMN, I suspect a WATCH check would probably work for some of them. I notice that it specifically only reports in-state convictions; but, while the CPL application requires you to say you've not got any felony convictions out of state, I don't know if that is actually checked in the background check. The thinking behind it is that it's the same check gun stores use before you can pick a firearm up without a waiting period and covers due diligence in avoiding handing a firearm to a prohibited person. I know the Utah CPL class Sharpshooting offers requires a Wa accepted CPL, since they have you conceal during their class, you have to be able to before you start.

oneallaustin

So I went to sharp today. Very informative people and were very open to me about getting into shooting and like you all have said they think I'm taking a very responsible step by wanting to take the course and explore hand guns in general. The guy I spoke to showed me a glock 26 and even let me hold it. I have to say as of now I don't think I'll be purchasing it, I'll be getting a glock but not that one. It's way to small for my hands and it when I was holding it there was like an inch of what will be my shooting hand that was not touching the gun itself. Thank you all for your help.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Looking to get into shooting

Impossible. All the ammo is presently occupied being someone's hoard.

So I went to sharp today. Very informative people and were very open to me about getting into shooting and like you all have said they think I'm taking a very responsible step by wanting to take the course and explore hand guns in general. The guy I spoke to showed me a glock 26 and even let me hold it. I have to say as of now I don't think I'll be purchasing it, I'll be getting a glock but not that one. It's way to small for my hands and it when I was holding it there was like an inch of what will be my shooting hand that was not touching the gun itself. Thank you all for your help.

Frankly, compact guns are stupid. That is, unless you concealed carry – which you shouldn't, because that's stupid too (the tactical advantages of open carry are numerous and well-documented).

Try a full-size Glock, or better yet a Springfield XD or XDM, or best of all a 5" 1911.

Last edited:

Perkins

What I've found the most important consideration to be is how well the gun fits your hand and handles for you. If the 26 doesn't fit comfortably, get something else. If you like the balance and size, but the grips are slightly too big or too small, that can be fixed with custom grips. If the grip size is way off (an inch sounds like it's way off), or you don't like the balance, best to find something else.

I do have to disagree about compact guns and CC slightly. A Washington CPL allows for the carry of [strike]one[/strike] concealed pistol, even if this is in addition to an OC firearm. Having a compact backup piece in addition to your open carry piece may well come in useful in some circumstances. [strike]Note that you can only have one of them loaded and on you in a vehicle though[/strike] Also, see above about fitting comfortably. My fiancee uses a .32 top break H&R, because it fits her small hands well enough that she can control it well, and she can carry it at work without upsetting the customers and boss. True, tactically OC is superior, but at least sometimes, politically CC is. Compact guns fill that niche.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Concealed BUG is the exception to my general view. I don't consider it much, though, as I don't live in a state which permits me to concealed carry (well, I could ask for permission – and I might, on a cold day in hell).

Trigger Dr

A Washington CPL allows for the carry of one concealed pistol, Note that you can only have one of them loaded and on you in a vehicle though

Cite please
IIRC there is NO LEGAL LIMIT as to how many you may carry or have loaded on your person, either in a vehicle or OC and CC.

Ajetpilot

A Washington CPL allows for the carry of one concealed pistol, even if this is in addition to an OC firearm. Having a compack backup piece in addition to your open carry piece may well come in useful in some circumstances. Note that you can only have one of them loaded and on you in a vehicle though.

Oh, the things I learn on the Internet! :lol:

Perkins

Cite please
IIRC there is NO LEGAL LIMIT as to how many you may carry or have loaded on your person, either in a vehicle or OC and CC.

[strike]
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050
The relavent section is 'license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person', note the use of the singular. To the best of my knowledge, there is no case law on this; but, there are several other locations where reference is made to 'a' or 'the' concealed pistol. In no place I can find is reference made to carrying multiple concealed pistols. The warning about having two loaded in a car is because a pistol on your person in a car is considered concealed. I think there is a decent probability you'd get away with it, but I also think that (due to the lack of case law), a cop may decide to give you a hard time over it. Of course, if someone has heard of case law or some other authoritative answer on this, I'd love to hear about it. [/strike]

Edit: As explained below, singular and plural are considered interchangeable, so the license is valied for any number of concealed pistols.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050
The relavent section is 'license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person', note the use of the singular. To the best of my knowledge, there is no case law on this; but, there are several other locations where reference is made to 'a' or 'the' concealed pistol. In no place I can find is reference made to carrying multiple concealed pistols. The warning about having two loaded in a car is because a pistol on your person in a car is considered concealed. I think there is a decent probability you'd get away with it, but I also think that (due to the lack of case law), a cop may decide to give you a hard time over it. Of course, if someone has heard of case law or some other authoritative answer on this, I'd love to hear about it.

Sometimes it is difficult (or impossible) to prove a negative.

As you are the one making the assertion, your, imho, should be the one citing case law to back up your claim. If yopu have a law school nearby you might get assistance from a student organization in looking for case law, or the reasearch librarians might assist you if there is slack time. Otherwise, your county court should have a law library you may access, but help there is often non-existant.

stay safe.