• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I extreme to want to OC?

DanNabis

This may be a silly post but I was hoping for some perspective.

I am moving from a very strict state to a relatively free staye. My coworker asked me about this and one of my reasons mentioned was the ability to exercise my right to open carry.

He said that this was obsessive and extreme.

Is this how people view OC?

I find it extreme that I can't OC here.

I guess it is part of the east coast nyc/nj area mentality & culture?

What are non aggressive, open things to say to people in these situations?

PistolPackingMomma

Your coworker is obsessive and extreme for trying to influence your behavior and feelings to follow what HE thinks is "appropriate".

stealthyeliminator

Since only 6 states completely (with LEA exceptions, of course) prohibit open carry, I don't quite see how moving to a state with OC would be extreme. Throw a dart at a map and you'll probably hit an OC state. I know this doesn't exactly address the issue raised but sort of parallels it. Basically what I'm saying is, you're moving away from the extreme, not towards it, because the extreme position is prohibition.

Primus

Since only 6 states completely (with LEA exceptions, of course) prohibit open carry, I don't quite see how moving to a state with OC would be extreme. Throw a dart at a map and you'll probably hit an OC state. I know this doesn't exactly address the issue raised but sort of parallels it. Basically what I'm saying is, you're moving away from the extreme, not towards it, because the extreme position is prohibition.

But "allowing" and it being done are two separate things.... sure MA "allows it" but I'm a unicorn when I carry OC to the range or around before or after the range. It makes me think of how many other states on the map are labeled as "allowing" but its just a thing on paper not really in practice.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I got a similar group of questions about not living in my birth state (NJ). My entire family lives within a few miles of each other in south NJ. I now live in the Great Northwest, Land of Open Carry. Some of my answers went a bit like this......

1. Too many People

2. Everyone talks funny

3. Too much city, not enough Country

4. Too much tax

5. Not enough Freedom

6. Draconian firearms laws

7. I like suppressors

8. NJ is dirty

9. The cost of living is too high

10. I just don't like you people.

Your mileage may vary, I am a school trained smarta$$ and I really do not give a "rats a$$" over what most people think. Move on to a newer, Freedom filled life. Good luck to you mate.

77zach

New Jersey is a fascist nannying police state in more than just laws infringing on the natural right to freely and peaceably bear arms.

However, depending on the state you may or may not see other people taking advantage of the right to OC. I'm in Florida, concealed only. When I visit my dad in Virginia, I've seen lots of people open carry. Sometimes I drive up to Georgia, and I've never seen anyone OC, except me and the cops looking at me but pretending they're not, lol.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

I am moving from a very strict state to a relatively free staye. My coworker asked me about this and one of my reasons mentioned was the ability to exercise my right to open carry.

He said that this was obsessive and extreme.

Is this how people view OC?

Not in my state. And then there is this. Since when do you have to consider how others feel about you wanting to exercise and enjoy liberty? Except for those whom you chose to consider, what others think or say about you is of little importance.

Enjoy your soon to be new found freedom. BTW, which state are you moving to?

sudden valley gunner

Your coworker is obsessive and extreme for trying to influence your behavior and feelings to follow what HE thinks is "appropriate".

+1

To the OP, I now wear being called "confrontational", "Anarchist", "radical", "extreme" as a badge of honor. CARE because I care. It just shows how far away from the natural state of humans (liberated) they have moved.

Rusty Young Man

+1

To the OP, I now wear being called "confrontational", "Anarchist", "radical", "extreme" as a badge of honor. CARE because I care. It just shows how far away from the natural state of humans (liberated) they have moved.

"C.A.R.E. because I care". Me likey. Get a trademark for that, add in a photo of the Founding Fathers, and I'll buy a shirt off you.

b0neZ

I have to say, I rather like this outlook.

"C.A.R.E. because I care". Me likey. Get a trademark for that, add in a photo of the Founding Fathers, and I'll buy a shirt off you.

Me too! :D:p

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

And thus an idea/movement takes root!

SVG, trademark C.A.R.E. now. No, now.

OC for ME

I got a similar group of questions about not living in my birth state (NJ). My entire family lives within a few miles of each other in south NJ. I now live in the Great Northwest, Land of Open Carry. Some of my answers went a bit like this......

1. Too many People

2. Everyone talks funny

3. Too much city, not enough Country

4. Too much tax

5. Not enough Freedom

6. Draconian firearms laws

7. I like suppressors

8. NJ is dirty

9. The cost of living is too high

10. I just don't like you people.

Your mileage may vary, I am a school trained smarta$$ and I really do not give a "rats a$$" over what most people think. Move on to a newer, Freedom filled life. Good luck to you mate.
You left out.....:shocker:.....pumping your own gas.

Like many of the former liberty minded colonies north of Virginia, the bearing of arms is not what civilized citizens do. Did you not know we have cops to do the bearing of arms for us.

Elm Creek Smith

Not silly at all.

He said that this was obsessive and extreme. Is this how people view OC?

Only those people who are obsessive and extreme.

So do we.

Good guess!

I would ask him what was obsessive and extreme about Constitutionally-guaranteed (not granted) rights. Ask him if the desire to exercise the freedom to express political opinions, to worship, etc., is obsessive and extreme.

OC for ME

Is knowing that dudes with white-on-white ties are visibly armed (OC) worse than wondering if dudes with white-on-white ties might be armed (CC).

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I find it extreme to ask permission for actions which are not only self-evident, but Constitutionally-enumerated, rights.

I find it downright totalitarian to prohibit these actions altogether.

wizzi01

You left out.....:shocker:.....pumping your own gas.

Like many of the former liberty minded colonies north of Virginia, the bearing of arms is not what civilized citizens do. Did you not know we have cops to do the bearing of arms for us.

Aren't you banned from pumping your own gas in Oregon also?