Thread: NO GUNS ALLOWED Lapeer county central dispatch.

NO GUNS ALLOWED Lapeer county central dispatch.

there is a sign posted that reads:

ATTENTION

ALL Firearms are prohibited
    beyond this point.

Secure area.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/847258...n/photostream/

Except this area isn't really secure, at least not all the time. They hold public meetings on the other side of that door. They also hold meetings from the local ham radio club, in which the public is welcome to attend. I've been through that door more than 20 times and i'm nobody special. The sign is new.

If that was a secure area they do have the right to prohibit people from entering but they cannot prevent people from entering simply because they possess a firearm.

I will keep you all posted.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Pic link is broken

Banned
    Interesting point about meetings. What does you open meetings law say about such a restriction?

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Interesting point about meetings. What does you open meetings law say about such a restriction?
    nothing specific to firearms, but since we have preemption that precludes local units of gov from regulating firearms and you can't deny access to public meetings, they are not allowed to ban guns.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapeer20m View Post
    there is a sign posted that reads:

ATTENTION

ALL Firearms are prohibited
    beyond this point.

Secure area.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/847258...n/photostream/

Except this area isn't really secure, at least not all the time. They hold public meetings on the other side of that door. They also hold meetings from the local ham radio club, in which the public is welcome to attend. I've been through that door more than 20 times and i'm nobody special. The sign is new.

If that was a secure area they do have the right to prohibit people from entering but they cannot prevent people from entering simply because they possess a firearm.

I will keep you all posted.
    have you open carried back there or did they put up the sign because of someone else?
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

I believe the sign was put there because of someone else.

These guys are great to deal with as far as foia requests go. They often fulfill the request on the same day. I have either cc or not carried at all when conducting business with them because I believe that poking them with a stick could negatively impact our relationship. They could easily make me work a lot harder to obtain foia requests.

Monday when I go pick up my latest request I plan to begin the process of having the sign removed.
    Last edited by lapeer20m; 04-27-2014 at 08:49 AM.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

For those that don't know lapeer20m works with these folks at times, so his reluctance to oc when there is somewhat understandable. It is sad that one must worry about "poking the bear" when simply doing everyday things lawfully. Good work Lapeer20m. Keep us updated. +1
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi