• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Question?

LittleJohnny

HOW OLD MUST I BE TO PURCHASE A HANDGUN, SHOTGUN, OR RIFLE?

ANSWER: To purchase a handgun from a federally licensed firearms dealer, an individual
must be 21 years of age or older. The age at which a person can purchase a
shotgun or rifle from a licensed dealer is 18. Please note that although an 18, 19,
or 20 year old may be issued a pistol purchase permit they would not be able to
purchase a handgun with it from a licensed firearms dealer but could purchase a
handgun from a private person.

Cited from 2007-NC Firearms-gun-laws. (NCDOJ.gov)

My question is do you have to have the pistol purchase permit on you if asked by a local law enforcement officer? (I couldn't seem to find this anywhere.)
And since it says you can legally have a handgun at the age of 18, so i am guessing you can open carry one at the age of 18 as well. I am currently 19 fixing to turn 20.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

LittleJohnny

Thank you, I should have used the search function. I love how the second link you posted actually gave the statues and the court case behind the actually reasoning you can carry. I don't understand how you can openly carry without a permit or license at the age of 18, but more power to the law!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thank you, I should have used the search function. I love how the second link you posted actually gave the statues and the court case behind the actually reasoning you can carry. I don't understand how you can openly carry without a permit or license at the age of 18, but more power to the law!
Laws generally tell you what you cannot do, not what you can do. There is no law saying that one cannot open carry where guns are not otherwise restricted. Conversely, there is no law telling you it is legal - it is the absence of a law that leaves it legal.

We pride ourselves on citing the law - in fact it is a forum mandate/rule.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

solus

welcome young man to NC's OC forum as you will discern quite a few answers to your query's.

grape has provided a taste of insight please assure you have the revised feb 2014 NC AG guidance as it provides excellent oversight.

for the specific statutes the link is: http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutes.asp with the search function in the upper right side...

NC Statute 14-402 covers the use of the pistol purchase permit or PPP which is obtained from the county sheriff's office. if someone is < 18 they would obtain it if they were buying a firearm from a private individual. if your caregiver 'lets you borrow or gives you' a firearm then no PPP is required. >21 the PPP is given to the FFL for the purchase of a firearm.

as is my custom, i always recommend taking the NRA's basic pistol course for several reasons with the main one being it provides an excellent oversight about firearms as well as providing knowledge on a myriad of firearm knowledge which will serve you well throughout your firearm carrying days.

again welcome, and perhaps our paths will cross when i am in your neck of the woods.

ipse