• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Informing LEO of recording.

rightwinglibertarian

Define "extreme action" to avoid being arrested.

Caution suggested - slippery road.

Understood.

The problem here is that if a citizen is being assaulted by armed officers then that person could argue they were in fear of their life, citing past cases where officers have shot dead people and animals for nothing. I know where Grapeshot is going here and understand. However one is certainly allowed to use whatever force is necessary to protect ones life. If an officer tries to steal your weapon you know he will either do it or murder you. Perhaps it may be best simply to reiterate the law as quoted earlier

704.4 DEFENSE OF PROPERTY.
A person is justified in the use of reasonable force to prevent or
terminate criminal interference with the person's possession or other
right in property
. Nothing in this section authorizes the use of any
spring gun or trap which is left unattended and unsupervised and
which is placed for the purpose of preventing or terminating criminal
interference with the possession of or other right in property.

I don't duck and dodge easily and i'm not going to continue a discussion when I have to tread on eggshells. I either say it how I see it or don't say anything

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The problem is best understood in the perspective of where you are and what the forum intends to be. It is not all things for all people.

Tucker6900

http://www.rcfp.org/reporters-recording-guide/state-state-guide

That site has the most up to date laws on the interwebs. A quick search through it and youll find that Iowa is a single party consent state. Even in private conversations, if you are a party to, or have permission from a participant in, a conversation, you can record. Im on my phone and cant paste the cite but if you take a moment to look at the site youll find it.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
The problem here is that if a citizen is being assaulted by armed officers then that person could argue they were in fear of their life, citing past cases where officers have shot dead people and animals for nothing. I know where Grapeshot is going here and understand. However one is certainly allowed to use whatever force is necessary to protect ones life. If an officer tries to steal your weapon you know he will either do it or murder you. Perhaps it may be best simply to reiterate the law as quoted earlier

I don't duck and dodge easily and i'm not going to continue a discussion when I have to tread on eggshells. I either say it how I see it or don't say anything

An additional problem is that the law thinks that when cops attack, its assumed to be a legal attack.

No death penalty in my state, so in one case (where you did nothing) you may end up dead whereas in a second case (you are wrong but did something) one gets a trial for whatever and you go to prison but you'll survive and may be free one day and a third case (you are right and you did something) then you are alive and free. 66% of the time if you do something and survive the encounter it likely will not affect your lifespan, time-wise.

What to do , what to do ....

Last edited:

amaixner

An additional problem is that the law thinks that when cops attack, its assumed to be a legal attack.

No death penalty in my state, so in one case (where you did nothing) you may end up dead whereas in a second case (you are wrong but did something) one gets a trial for whatever and you go to prison but you'll survive and may be free one day and a third case (you are right and you did something) then you are alive and free. 66% of the time if you do something and survive the encounter it likely will not affect your lifespan, time-wise.

What to do , what to do ....
Incorrect use of statistical methods. What you mean is in 2 of the 3 cases; each of the 3 situations does not have a 33% probability.
Thread seems to have gotten off track though. Recording illegal officers' actions and suing their asses, their bosses, and their employers seems to be the most productive action.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Incorrect use of statistical methods. What you mean is in 2 of the 3 cases; each of the 3 situations does not have a 33% probability.
Thread seems to have gotten off track though. Recording illegal officers' actions and suing their asses, their bosses, and their employers seems to be the most productive action.

Well, I guess it depends on the goal of the person there ... to stop the abuse in its tracks for the single event or to address it for future events.

Primus

Well, I guess it depends on the goal of the person there ... to stop the abuse in its tracks for the single event or to address it for future events.

I'd say a department/person getting sued several times would be more prone to affect change then any other method.

You forget violent methods are just used as reasons to get armor/guns, etc.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'd say a department/person getting sued several times would be more prone to affect change then any other method.

You forget violent methods are just used as reasons to get armor/guns, etc.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-Police-department-shoot-and-kill-unarmed-man

The guy ^^^ may disagree ... I have stopped police in the past on the spot when they were beating the heck out of a helpless or unconscious person; I guess one has to examine each one encountered according to the facts known and circumstances involved so its case specific. And I never had to use physical force to stop them but was willing to if needed.

Can one simply watch a person thinking that the person is getting beaten to death (cop or otherwise)?

rightwinglibertarian

To go all out and deal with one situation or to be tactical. That is a whole debate in and of itself and one thats probably not allowed on here.

davidmcbeth

Banned
When you record a cop (that u can do) tell them you are breaking the law by doing so ... he'll go crazy, bob you on the head and you'll be rich ! Rich I tell ya ....

I do this sometimes ... I'll record a conversation I'm having and they guy will say "hey, I need to consent to this too" confusing telephone recording to non-telephone recording. Then I tell them "I don't care about that law" and watch them try and figure out what to do....

OC for ME

Why out of curiosity? Once an LEO knows he's being recorded it could prevent him from violating your rights. Well *could* or could mug you for the camera.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
Are citizens permitted to record interactions with Bobbies in the UK without informing the Bobbie?

One party states only: Never inform a a cop he is being recording. Take any measure to conceal this fact. A cop must be allowed to hang himself with his own rope. Good cops will not care if you are recording even if they knew you were recording.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Why out of curiosity? Once an LEO knows he's being recorded it could prevent him from violating your rights. Well *could* or could mug you for the camera.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
The idea is to defuse and record the event. We train others in many diverse ways.

IMO, more often than not recording openly works out well. ymmv.

P.S. Sometimes I have 2 recorders running and a dash cam w/audio :)

Last edited:

rightwinglibertarian

Are citizens permitted to record interactions with Bobbies in the UK without informing the Bobbie?

From what I can see, technically yes. In practice the public are so passive and so accepting I've never seen it done though I've heard about it. People are so passive as far as I know it's impossible to legally object to a stop and search.

Can I legally film the police?
There is no law stopping anyone filming in a public place, so if you are on the streets you can film without asking permission – the Metropolitan Police’s own guidelines(adopted by all police forces in Britain) make clear that “police have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel”. There is a law – Section 58A of the Terrorism Act 2000 – that says police officers’ can stop you filming them if they believe that the video will be used for purposes of terrorism. However, police guidelines state that:
“it would ordinarily be unlawful to use section 58A to arrest people photographing police officers’ in the course of normal policing activities… An arrest would only be lawful if an arresting officer had a reasonable suspicion that the photographs were being taken in order to provide practical assistance to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism”
(Source)

One party states only: Never inform a a cop he is being recording. Take any measure to conceal this fact. A cop must be allowed to hang himself with his own rope. Good cops will not care if you are recording even if they knew you were recording.

On the flip side of the coin bad cops arent going to care either. They will still violate your rights as can be seen in multiple Youtube videos. I'm more the type of person to join the local Copblock or even start one myself and use Google Glass or an equivalent in recording.

Last edited: