Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: America is exceptionally dumb when to comes to guns

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    329

    Post America is exceptionally dumb when to comes to guns


  2. #2
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Seems to me Americans are exceptionally smart when it comes to guns.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    The author's mommy won't allow guns in her house (where he lives) ... and does not want anyone to have guns too

  4. #4
    Regular Member The Trickster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    218
    She ought to proofread the titles of her articles before she tries to label anything else as dumb.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Kopis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    727
    yawn........

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by The Trickster View Post
    She ought to proofread the titles of her articles before she tries to label anything else as dumb.
    Her grasp of literary diction and phraseology is tenuous at best.

  7. #7
    Regular Member OldCurlyWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    912
    Cynthia Tucker strikes me as educated past her abilities.

    The article posted her email address:

    cynthia@cynthiatucker.com

    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

    Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
    Cynthia Tucker strikes me as educated past her abilities.
    lol. No.

    I know that anti-educational bias is popular, but no.

    This woman is clearly barely-educated. I could write past her ability in grade school.

    I am a product of education. That some folks can go to school and remain uneducated speaks more to the failure of government management of education than it does to education itself.

    Then again, it speaks to societal values, as I am a product of public schools. Thus, in at least some states, it is possible to wring an education out of the government, if one goes into it with the right value structure.

    It is a mistake to conflate government-mandated daycare youth jail "school", as is provided to most Americans, with education, and decry the latter based on the former.
    Last edited by marshaul; 05-01-2014 at 01:59 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    lol. No.

    I know that anti-educational bias is popular, but no.

    This woman is clearly barely-educated. I could write past her ability in grade school.

    I am a product of education. That some folks can go to school and remain uneducated speaks more to the failure of government management of education than it does to education itself.

    Then again, it speaks to societal values, as I am a product of public schools. Thus, in at least some states, it is possible to wring an education out of the government, if one goes into it with the right value structure.

    It is a mistake to conflate government-mandated daycare youth jail "school", as is provided to most Americans, with education, and decry the latter based on the former.
    So what made your public school better then others? Was it the teachers or curriculum?

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    So what made your public school better then others? Was it the teachers or curriculum?
    The curriculum, if anything. I went to Robinson Secondary in Fairfax County. Although it's been many moons since I was there, and I'm sure they've added courses since, even when I went the curriculum was better than many community colleges:

    http://www.fcps.edu/RobinsonSS/stud_...-catalogue.pdf

    Fairfax County is kind of the exception, though. And even there, most of my friends did not escape nearly so well-educated, if I do say so myself.

    I generally credit myself as self-educated in many areas, however.

    I do credit my scrupulously nonpartisan government class teacher for being surprisingly forthright, however, especially compared to the American history I was taught.
    Last edited by marshaul; 05-01-2014 at 05:48 PM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    lol. No. I know that anti-educational bias is popular, but no. This woman is clearly barely-educated. I could write past her ability in grade school. I am a product of education. That some folks can go to school and remain uneducated speaks more to the failure of government management of education than it does to education itself. Then again, it speaks to societal values, as I am a product of public schools. Thus, in at least some states, it is possible to wring an education out of the government, if one goes into it with the right value structure. It is a mistake to conflate government-mandated daycare youth jail "school", as is provided to most Americans, with education, and decry the latter based on the former.
    Self-educated autodidact polymath. +1
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    The curriculum, if anything. I went to Robinson Secondary in Fairfax County. Although it's been many moons since I was there, and I'm sure they've added courses since, even when I went the curriculum was better than many community colleges:

    http://www.fcps.edu/RobinsonSS/stud_...-catalogue.pdf

    Fairfax County is kind of the exception, though. And even there, most of my friends did not escape nearly so well-educated, if I do say so myself.

    I generally credit myself as self-educated in many areas, however.

    I do credit my scrupulously nonpartisan government class teacher for being surprisingly forthright, however, especially compared to the American history I was taught.
    So here's a crazy question.

    Do you remember anything you were taught in say... 3rd grade? 4th?

    How recent in school would you have to go before you could state "I learned x fact in y class back in 1856 from ms. Joe Snuffy"?

    Above is not a slight in anyway, just something I've been curious in general with other individuals. I know we blame government education on a lot of things (I agree to a certain degree), but if we don't /can't retain what was taught in 3rd grade then its kind of a moot point. No?

    I can honestly say I remember nothing from grade school and only some things from highschool. I can't think of any fact I could say I learned in a specific class or specific grade.

    Now I know what's coming with the lack of intelligence jokes, but while not being a philosopher, I'm certainly not stupid. I was able to maintain over a 3.5 throughout college with a fairly broad course of study.

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

  13. #13
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    I never let my schooling interfere with my education. - MT
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  14. #14
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Youtube is chock full of dumb people.....the smarter ones are taking the video.

    Redneck's last words: Hold my beer and watch this.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,159
    Education is not facts. Education is how to think, usefully and with purpose.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Education is not facts. Education is how to think, usefully and with purpose.
    I actually agree with this. But again can you tie any of your "thought processes" or methods to something you distinctly learned in school?

    Now that I think of it I learned two.things. Venn diagrams and 5x5 essays. Lol pretty sure both are obsolete now.

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

  17. #17
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Recently saw a video of a man who was not very educated in the Academic way, you could tell by his grammar and the way he talked, yet he was smart enough not to let several cops force him to surrender his rights.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  18. #18
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Recently saw a video of a man who was not very educated in the Academic way, you could tell by his grammar and the way he talked, yet he was smart enough not to let several cops force him to surrender his rights.
    That's awesome. Totally relevant to what we were talking about too.

    Wait... no its not..



    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

  19. #19
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    That's awesome. Totally relevant to what we were talking about too.

    Wait... no its not..



    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

    Yes it is. Because "education" isn't necessarily a marker of intelligence. A smarter person would have got that......
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  20. #20
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Yes it is. Because "education" isn't necessarily a marker of intelligence. A smarter person would have got that......
    I agree. Except if your following along we weren't talking about "intelligence" we were talking about education.

    Specifically around the point I asked of anyone remembers they were taught in public schools and responses were given about EDUCATION.

    Tracking now?



    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

  21. #21
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    I agree. Except if your following along we weren't talking about "intelligence" we were talking about education.

    Specifically around the point I asked of anyone remembers they were taught in public schools and responses were given about EDUCATION.

    Tracking now?



    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    Yes I am tracking, are you? I was adding to the conversation with my belief that government education isn't necessarily a marker for "smart".
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  22. #22
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Yes I am tracking, are you? I was adding to the conversation with my belief that government education isn't necessarily a marker for "smart".
    Oh was said man publicly educated? Or was he privately educated? Was he home schooled? And how do you know this?

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,159
    It is good to see the distinction being made clear amongst education, knowledge and intelligence.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  24. #24
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    It is good to see the distinction being made clear amongst education, knowledge and intelligence.
    +1
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  25. #25
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Oh was said man publicly educated? Or was he privately educated? Was he home schooled? And how do you know this?

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    Do you even read the posts?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •