• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

America is exceptionally dumb when to comes to guns

Primus

The curriculum, if anything. I went to Robinson Secondary in Fairfax County. Although it's been many moons since I was there, and I'm sure they've added courses since, even when I went the curriculum was better than many community colleges:

http://www.fcps.edu/RobinsonSS/stud_serv_hs/pdf/2014-course-catalogue.pdf

Fairfax County is kind of the exception, though. And even there, most of my friends did not escape nearly so well-educated, if I do say so myself.

I generally credit myself as self-educated in many areas, however.

I do credit my scrupulously nonpartisan government class teacher for being surprisingly forthright, however, especially compared to the American history I was taught.

Curriculum or type of EDUCATION

So here's a crazy question.

Do you remember anything you were taught in say... 3rd grade? 4th?

How recent in school would you have to go before you could state "I learned x fact in y class back in 1856 from ms. Joe Snuffy"?

Above is not a slight in anyway, just something I've been curious in general with other individuals. I know we blame government education on a lot of things (I agree to a certain degree), but if we don't /can't retain what was taught in 3rd grade then its kind of a moot point. No?

I can honestly say I remember nothing from grade school and only some things from highschool. I can't think of any fact I could say I learned in a specific class or specific grade.

Now I know what's coming with the lack of intelligence jokes, but while not being a philosopher, I'm certainly not stupid. I was able to maintain over a 3.5 throughout college with a fairly broad course of study.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

EDUCATION

Education is not facts. Education is how to think, usefully and with purpose.

EDUCATION distinction being introduced between curriculum teaching/learning abilities.

I actually agree with this. But again can you tie any of your "thought processes" or methods to something you distinctly learned in school?

Now that I think of it I learned two.things. Venn diagrams and 5x5 essays. Lol pretty sure both are obsolete now.

More education/school

Recently saw a video of a man who was not very educated in the Academic way, you could tell by his grammar and the way he talked, yet he was smart enough not to let several cops force him to surrender his rights.

And wham...... stating "he's not educates in an academic way".......

And then you process to state you were pointing out .gov "education" sucks.

Well bases on what? Based on this guy? Ok.... that means you must know WHAT education he had in order to contribute it to being gov education. Right?

Trust me I'm reading.

Bernymac

"Another Brick In The Wall (Part II)"

We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey teacher leave them kids alone
All in all it's just another brick in the wall
All in all you're just another brick in the wall

OC for ME

ed·u·ca·tion noun \ˌe-jə-ˈkā-shən\

: the action or process of teaching someone especially in a school, college, or university

: the knowledge, skill, and understanding that you get from attending a school, college, or university

: a field of study that deals with the methods and problems of teaching

cur·ric·u·lum noun \-ləm\

: the courses that are taught by a school, college, etc.

knowl·edge noun \ˈnä-lij\

: information, understanding, or skill that you get from experience or education

: awareness of something : the state of being aware of something

learning noun

: the activity or process of gaining knowledge or skill by studying, practicing, being taught, or experiencing something : the activity of someone who learns

: knowledge or skill gained from learning

school·ing noun

: teaching that is done in a school

Well?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
So here's a crazy question.

Do you remember anything you were taught in say... 3rd grade? 4th?

How recent in school would you have to go before you could state "I learned x fact in y class back in 1856 from ms. Joe Snuffy"?

Above is not a slight in anyway, just something I've been curious in general with other individuals. I know we blame government education on a lot of things (I agree to a certain degree), but if we don't /can't retain what was taught in 3rd grade then its kind of a moot point. No?

I can honestly say I remember nothing from grade school and only some things from highschool. I can't think of any fact I could say I learned in a specific class or specific grade.

Now I know what's coming with the lack of intelligence jokes, but while not being a philosopher, I'm certainly not stupid. I was able to maintain over a 3.5 throughout college with a fairly broad course of study.

As mentioned, education is not accumulation of facts and trivia. Education is the development of the art of critical thinking (including the rudiments of historiographic theory), the interest in expanding one's horizons (i.e. reading), and a Socratic awareness of the limits of those horizons. Even specific education devoted to the acquisition of a particular skill (e.g. engineering) is less about factoids and more about a practical, systematic understanding of the field in question, and therefore maintains its emphasis on the aforementioned fundaments (excepting historiography in the case of most technical disciplines).

If an educational system is good, it is because it emphasizes these and instills them in its pupils. A bad (or, rather, non-) education creates students able to regurgitate a few facts until those facts' lack of utility causes them to be once again forgotten.

A great many public schools are of the latter sort. Even Robinson (my aforementioned high school) was largely this way in the standard classes; only the AP and IB classes attempted real education from what I experienced.

To put it simply: if an individual is conversant in many areas, it is not because he had some teacher spout a few relevant facts at him, but because he is educated, and this is the ability of any truly educated individual.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Curriculum or type of EDUCATION

EDUCATION

EDUCATION distinction being introduced between curriculum teaching/learning abilities.

More education/school

And wham...... stating "he's not educates in an academic way".......

And then you process to state you were pointing out .gov "education" sucks.

Well bases on what? Based on this guy? Ok.... that means you must know WHAT education he had in order to contribute it to being gov education. Right?

Trust me I'm reading.

You may be reading but you are lacking in understanding.

stealthyeliminator

I was going to say something along these lines, I think :)

Anyway, I think that it's also important to remember that just because you can't think back and recall precisely when you learned something in, say, the 3rd grade, that doesn't mean you actually didn't and it doesn't mean that what you learned then is irrelevant today. You can retain a lesson learned without remembering having received that lesson. I'd think that if you removed from memory everything that you learned in the 3rd and 4th grades, and everything which is founded upon what you learned in those grades, you'd be an idiot (not in the derogatory sense, you'd just know very little).

Gallowmere

This is true. This may also be precisely why we could safely assume that the state has no interest in providing what many would consider a proper education to most people. Don't get me wrong, it is clear that some people are just stupid, and beyond the possibility of more than the most basic of education. However, I do find it very strange that there always seems to be so many of the aforementioned people, within certain geographical confines.

It is giving exactly what it needed to keep itself afloat. With an entire population of well educated citizens, capable to critical thought in a broad variety of subjects, the state has less and less at it's disposal, to justify it's existence.

stealthyeliminator

This is true. This may also be precisely why we could safely assume that the state has no interest in providing what many would consider a proper education to most people. Don't get me wrong, it is clear that some people are just stupid, and beyond the possibility of more than the most basic of education. However, I do find it very strange that there always seems to be so many of the aforementioned people, within certain geographical confines.

It is giving exactly what it needed to keep itself afloat. With an entire population of well educated citizens, capable to critical thought in a broad variety of subjects, the state has less and less at it's disposal, to justify it's existence.

QFT

Not to change the subject, but even outside of educational issues, many public school systems are.. well, actually, they're teaching behaviors, so I guess it would be an "education" of sorts, but they're teaching behaviors directly contrary to principles of liberty. Besides the fact that the material they're teaching is often factually incorrect, like teaching that the constitution "grants" rights instead of protects rights which are sourced from a higher power which the state can never have the authority to override, they're teaching children to be subject to violations of rights. Violations of free speech, compelled speech, violations of privacy, coercing kids and parents into submitting the kids to unwarranted searches and seizures, the list goes on. I guess if you think about it, kids are learning a lot in school. They're learning a lot about how to live as a subject to the government. Before Primus jumps in, obviously that's a huge generalization and isn't the case across the board. But I think it's a significant portion of the board, whether it's majority or not.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

since9

Campaign Veteran
Overall, I think we were and still are pretty smart. We're one of the few countries that recognized the need to establish and maintain an individual right to keep and bear arms. Over the last thirty years, most state laws have become less restrictive, not more restrictive.

Still, we have a lot of work to do using facts to educate the ignorant before they do things which are exceptionally dumb, like eroding our right to keep and bear arms.