• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

America is exceptionally dumb when to comes to guns

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Cynthia Tucker strikes me as educated past her abilities.

lol. No.

I know that anti-educational bias is popular, but no.

This woman is clearly barely-educated. I could write past her ability in grade school.

I am a product of education. That some folks can go to school and remain uneducated speaks more to the failure of government management of education than it does to education itself.

Then again, it speaks to societal values, as I am a product of public schools. Thus, in at least some states, it is possible to wring an education out of the government, if one goes into it with the right value structure.

It is a mistake to conflate government-mandated [strike]daycare[/strike] [strike]youth jail[/strike] "school", as is provided to most Americans, with education, and decry the latter based on the former.

Last edited:

Primus

lol. No.

I know that anti-educational bias is popular, but no.

This woman is clearly barely-educated. I could write past her ability in grade school.

I am a product of education. That some folks can go to school and remain uneducated speaks more to the failure of government management of education than it does to education itself.

Then again, it speaks to societal values, as I am a product of public schools. Thus, in at least some states, it is possible to wring an education out of the government, if one goes into it with the right value structure.

It is a mistake to conflate government-mandated [strike]daycare[/strike] [strike]youth jail[/strike] "school", as is provided to most Americans, with education, and decry the latter based on the former.

So what made your public school better then others? Was it the teachers or curriculum?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
So what made your public school better then others? Was it the teachers or curriculum?

The curriculum, if anything. I went to Robinson Secondary in Fairfax County. Although it's been many moons since I was there, and I'm sure they've added courses since, even when I went the curriculum was better than many community colleges:

http://www.fcps.edu/RobinsonSS/stud_serv_hs/pdf/2014-course-catalogue.pdf

Fairfax County is kind of the exception, though. And even there, most of my friends did not escape nearly so well-educated, if I do say so myself.

I generally credit myself as self-educated in many areas, however.

I do credit my scrupulously nonpartisan government class teacher for being surprisingly forthright, however, especially compared to the American history I was taught.

Last edited:

Primus

The curriculum, if anything. I went to Robinson Secondary in Fairfax County. Although it's been many moons since I was there, and I'm sure they've added courses since, even when I went the curriculum was better than many community colleges:

http://www.fcps.edu/RobinsonSS/stud_serv_hs/pdf/2014-course-catalogue.pdf

Fairfax County is kind of the exception, though. And even there, most of my friends did not escape nearly so well-educated, if I do say so myself.

I generally credit myself as self-educated in many areas, however.

I do credit my scrupulously nonpartisan government class teacher for being surprisingly forthright, however, especially compared to the American history I was taught.

So here's a crazy question.

Do you remember anything you were taught in say... 3rd grade? 4th?

How recent in school would you have to go before you could state "I learned x fact in y class back in 1856 from ms. Joe Snuffy"?

Above is not a slight in anyway, just something I've been curious in general with other individuals. I know we blame government education on a lot of things (I agree to a certain degree), but if we don't /can't retain what was taught in 3rd grade then its kind of a moot point. No?

I can honestly say I remember nothing from grade school and only some things from highschool. I can't think of any fact I could say I learned in a specific class or specific grade.

Now I know what's coming with the lack of intelligence jokes, but while not being a philosopher, I'm certainly not stupid. I was able to maintain over a 3.5 throughout college with a fairly broad course of study.

Primus

Education is not facts. Education is how to think, usefully and with purpose.

I actually agree with this. But again can you tie any of your "thought processes" or methods to something you distinctly learned in school?

Now that I think of it I learned two.things. Venn diagrams and 5x5 essays. Lol pretty sure both are obsolete now.

sudden valley gunner

Recently saw a video of a man who was not very educated in the Academic way, you could tell by his grammar and the way he talked, yet he was smart enough not to let several cops force him to surrender his rights.

Primus

Recently saw a video of a man who was not very educated in the Academic way, you could tell by his grammar and the way he talked, yet he was smart enough not to let several cops force him to surrender his rights.

That's awesome. Totally relevant to what we were talking about too.

Wait... no its not..

Primus

Yes it is. Because "education" isn't necessarily a marker of intelligence. A smarter person would have got that......:p

I agree. Except if your following along we weren't talking about "intelligence" we were talking about education.

Specifically around the point I asked of anyone remembers they were taught in public schools and responses were given about EDUCATION.

Tracking now?

sudden valley gunner

I agree. Except if your following along we weren't talking about "intelligence" we were talking about education.

Specifically around the point I asked of anyone remembers they were taught in public schools and responses were given about EDUCATION.

Tracking now?

Yes I am tracking, are you? I was adding to the conversation with my belief that government education isn't necessarily a marker for "smart".

Primus

Yes I am tracking, are you? I was adding to the conversation with my belief that government education isn't necessarily a marker for "smart".

Oh was said man publicly educated? Or was he privately educated? Was he home schooled? And how do you know this?