Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: First kinda negative OC experience

  1. #1
    Regular Member callee11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    13

    First kinda negative OC experience

    Was Oc in Aldi's grocery today like I have many times. Have never had a problem till today. The following letter is what I emailed to corp. offices since I can not find a number anywhere to call.

    Hello
    I will start by saying I have been a customer to this location since it's opening. I have always had good experiences while shopping there until today. I am licensed in the state of Oklahoma to carry a handgun anywhere it is not prohibited. I have carried my handgun into your store on several occasions as there are no signs on your doors stating it is prohibited. Today while me and my family were shopping I was approached by I am assuming the store manager and was told I could not carry in the store. I told him I did not see any signs anywhere stating that I could not carry my firearm in the store, he then got very short with me and said they are there and I had to leave. I walked outside and thoroughly looked over the doors and still there was no signs. I walked out to my car and placed my firearm inside my vehicle so I could go in and discuss this matter further with him and ask him to point out the signs to me. When I went back in I could not find him so I asked another employee to get the manager and they told me he was unavailable.
    If your store does not recognize oklahoma state law, or my right to protect myself, my family and anyone else around me then you need to have proper signs up stating your position so that I, my family, and all other law abiding citizens who have the right to carry our firearms can find another store to do business with as there are several other stores that have no problem with me carrying my firearm in their stores.
    I am looking forward to hearing from you in this matter.
    Thank you

  2. #2
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    plug the name of the store and town into Google. Phone number should come right up especially if you have the exact address.

    It also appears that this branch is in violation of company policy

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...biting-weapons
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  3. #3
    Regular Member callee11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    13
    I tried and it would not come up, I have already sent an email and will not do business there till I get a response, and If the response is like the one you linked, I will print it out and go give it to this manager while I OC in front of him.

  4. #4
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    Aldi and Trader Joe's are owned by German parent company

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  5. #5
    Regular Member Superlite27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    God's Country, Missouri
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by callee11 View Post
    *have carried my handgun into your store on several occasions as there are no signs on your doors stating it is prohibited. Today while me and my family were shopping I was approached by I am assuming the store manager and was told I could not carry in the store. I told him I did not see any signs anywhere stating that I could not carry my firearm in the store, he then got very short with me and said they are there and I had to leave. I walked outside and thoroughly looked over the doors and still there was no signs.
    I'm sure that, after your vehement and repetitive remarks about the lack of signs forbidding firearms, this oversight will soon be corrected by their prompt posting.

    Feel free to write letters to any additional businesses you enter and raise awareness that there are no signs.

    I'm sure that if you continue to point out the lack of signs to businesses that aren't currently posted, it wont be long before the majority of doors have them due to your vehement insistence.

    Thanks.

    Thanks a bunch.
    Last edited by Superlite27; 04-28-2014 at 07:19 AM. Reason: emphasis

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NEOK
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlite27 View Post
    I'm sure that, after your vehement and repetitive remarks...
    WHOA!
    I didn't see any reason in his letter for your reaction and re reading his quote below he did not even seem to adamantly protest this against this person's claim. Person, who as far as I can tell, may not have even been an employee.
    I say, good on ya for not becoming argumentative and seeking to continue the dialogue in a civil manner based on facts!

    "I was approached by I am assuming the store manager and was told I could not carry in the store. I told him I did not see any signs anywhere stating that I could not carry my firearm in the store, he then got very short with me and said they are there and I had to leave"

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by callee11 View Post
    I tried and it would not come up, I have already sent an email and will not do business there till I get a response, and If the response is like the one you linked, I will print it out and go give it to this manager while I OC in front of him.
    Well, they may be doing business under another name ~ I do not see them in the Sec. of State's business search.

    I would go back and see their business license (must be posted), find out the name of the company, go to SOS website searching for business, find its registered agent, and send a demand letter to them via their registered agent asking for $$$. This will get you a response.

    If they are not licensed with the SOS then this does not mean that they cannot do business but it does lead to the situation where they cannot sue in the state (they can defend a lawsuit, just not initiate one).

    I would not bother with the "manager"...bother the people who hold the purse strings; make it a civil rights issue and an entrapment issue. Who knows...maybe they'll apologize and offer you some cash.

    The time for being nice is past ...
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 04-28-2014 at 01:03 AM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member kinggabby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Duncan, Ok
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by callee11 View Post
    Was Oc in Aldi's grocery today like I have many times. Have never had a problem till today. The following letter is what I emailed to corp. offices since I can not find a number anywhere to call.

    Hello
    I will start by saying I have been a customer to this location since it's opening. I have always had good experiences while shopping there until today. I am licensed in the state of Oklahoma to carry a handgun anywhere it is not prohibited. I have carried my handgun into your store on several occasions as there are no signs on your doors stating it is prohibited. Today while me and my family were shopping I was approached by I am assuming the store manager and was told I could not carry in the store. I told him I did not see any signs anywhere stating that I could not carry my firearm in the store, he then got very short with me and said they are there and I had to leave. I walked outside and thoroughly looked over the doors and still there was no signs. I walked out to my car and placed my firearm inside my vehicle so I could go in and discuss this matter further with him and ask him to point out the signs to me. When I went back in I could not find him so I asked another employee to get the manager and they told me he was unavailable.
    If your store does not recognize oklahoma state law, or my right to protect myself, my family and anyone else around me then you need to have proper signs up stating your position so that I, my family, and all other law abiding citizens who have the right to carry our firearms can find another store to do business with as there are several other stores that have no problem with me carrying my firearm in their stores.
    I am looking forward to hearing from you in this matter.
    Thank you
    Which store was it? Glad a place of business in Oklahoma has to have it posted.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by callee11 View Post
    SNIP...I have carried my handgun into your store on several occasions as there are no signs on your doors stating it is prohibited. Today while me and my family were shopping I was approached by I am assuming the store manager and was told I could not carry in the store. I told him I did not see any signs anywhere stating that I could not carry my firearm in the store, he then got very short with me and said they are there and I had to leave. I walked outside and thoroughly looked over the doors and still there was no signs. I walked out to my car and placed my firearm inside my vehicle so I could go in and discuss this matter further with him and ask him to point out the signs to me. When I went back in I could not find him so I asked another employee to get the manager and they told me he was unavailable.
    If your store does not recognize oklahoma state law, or my right to protect myself, my family and anyone else around me then you need to have proper signs up stating your position so that I, my family, and all other law abiding citizens who have the right to carry our firearms can find another store to do business with as there are several other stores that have no problem with me carrying my firearm in their stores.
    I am looking forward to hearing from you in this matter.
    Thank you
    Bolded your mistakes, underlined your BIGGEST mistake. That being said:

    Neversuggestputtingupgunbustersigns.

    Also, never:
    Let them know their gunbuster signs do not adhere to the format specified by local anti-gun ordinances.
    Call ahead of time to ask about their gun policy, since that might encourage them to form an anti-gun policy.

    We want to make management have to throw out every single armed LAC so they understand their criminal empowerment policy is causing them to lose business. They will likely ignore or not even notice people simply coming up and driving away.
    Sorry if I come off as angry, but stuff like that, while seemingly innocent, makes it harder for the next OCer or armed LAC, and potentially adds another anti-gun establishment to the list of anti-rights establishments we should not patronize.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 04-28-2014 at 05:45 AM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  10. #10
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlite27 View Post
    I'm sure that, after your vehement and repetitive remarks about the lack of signs forbidding firearms, this oversight will soon be corrected by their prompt posting.

    Feel free to write letters to any additional businesses you enter and raise awareness that there are no signs.

    I'm sure that if you continue to point out the lack of signs to businesses that aren't currently posted, it wont be long before the majority of doors have them due to your vehement insistence.

    Thanks.

    Thanks a bunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayne&Vera View Post
    WHOA!
    I didn't see any reason in his letter for your reaction and re reading his quote below he did not even seem to adamantly protest this against this person's claim. Person, who as far as I can tell, may not have even been an employee.
    I say, good on ya for not becoming argumentative and seeking to continue the dialogue in a civil manner based on facts!

    "I was approached by I am assuming the store manager and was told I could not carry in the store. I told him I did not see any signs anywhere stating that I could not carry my firearm in the store, he then got very short with me and said they are there and I had to leave"
    Jayne&Vera, the reason for Superlite27's post is NOT because of the tone callee11 used, but because of the mentioning of SIGNS.

    There are a few unspoken, but generally understood, rules on OCDO regarding anti-gun establishments:

    1) Never suggest gunbuster signs.
    2) Never let them know their gunbuster signs do not adhere to the format specified by local anti-gun ordinances.
    3) Never call ahead of time to ask about their gun policy, since that might encourage them to form an anti-gun policy.

    We want to make management have to throw out every single armed LAC so at the very least they understand their criminal empowerment policy is causing them to lose business (if all goes well, they'll also realize they are making themselves prime targets). They will likely ignore or not even notice people simply coming up and driving away.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Midwest City, OK
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    There are a few unspoken, but generally understood, rules on OCDO regarding anti-gun establishments:

    1) Never suggest gunbuster signs.
    2) Never let them know their gunbuster signs do not adhere to the format specified by local anti-gun ordinances.
    3) Never call ahead of time to ask about their gun policy, since that might encourage them to form an anti-gun policy.
    I fully agree with these points!

    Last year, I had the unfortunate experience of having an organization for which I was an active volunteer receive a phone call asking about their gun policy. Suddenly confronted with the apparent need to do something - anything - ordinarily rational people, many of whom claim to support the right to keep and bear arms, literally went into panic mode to post a computer printed sign until they could buy pre printed signs and post them. In keeping with a 20 year position on gunbusters signs, I stopped volunteering and allowed my membership to lapse. Now that the policy has been established, it will not be rescinded.

    I hope more thoughtful heads prevail at Aldi.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Superlite27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    God's Country, Missouri
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayne&Vera View Post
    WHOA!
    I didn't see any reason in his letter for your reaction and re reading his quote below he did not even seem to adamantly protest this against this person's claim."
    You don't see why I'd be a little disturbed about a person writing a letter to a company demanding they post a "no guns" sign?

    Unless you believe any company official reading it will see the repetitive reference to lack of signs and come to any other conclusion than the easiest way to prevent customers entering the store and complaining about not seeing a sign......

    .....is to simply put up a sign.

    he did not seem to adamantly protest this against this person's claim."
    You don't consider taking the time to write a letter an adamant protest?

  13. #13
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,269
    Once requested to leave the business, leave and do not return, then send a letter to corporate indicating why you will not return. Any communication with a business must be focused on the incident and not the policy in effect, or lack thereof. Inform the business of your intentions to encourage others to not patronize their business as a result of you treatment by store employees.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  14. #14
    Regular Member Robert318's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Choctaw, OK
    Posts
    158
    How about informing them that under the new provisions of the Oklahoma SDA that businesses and employers are exempt from liability for allowing lawful citizens from carrying in their business. I dont necessarily agree with the sign issues as mentioned above but do agree that you have to be careful about mentioning the lack of signage, and instead focus on the lack of civil liability to them for allowing armed LAC's and that you respect their decision either way but don't appreciate the manner at which you were treated.

    TITLE 21 § 1290.22 BUSINESS OWNER’S RIGHTS

    E. A person, corporation, place of worship or any other business entity that does or does not prohibit any individual except a convicted felon from carrying a loaded or unloaded, concealed or unconcealed weapon on property that the person, corporation, place of worship or other business entity owns, or has legal control of, is immune from any liability arising from that decision. Except for acts of gross negligence or willful or wanton misconduct, an employer who does or does not prohibit their employees from carrying a concealed or unconcealed weapon is immune from any liability arising from that decision. The provision of this subsection shall not apply to claims pursuant to the Workers’ Compensation Code.

    http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA...013.pdf#page23
    Stay safe and God bless.

    Everyone will hate you because of me.
    But not a hair of your head will perish.
    Stand firm, and you will win life.
    (Luke 21:17-19 NIV)

    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them.",
    "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms."Thomas Jefferson

  15. #15
    Regular Member Glock 1st fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Once requested to leave the business, leave and do not return, then send a letter to corporate indicating why you will not return. Any communication with a business must be focused on the incident and not the policy in effect, or lack thereof. Inform the business of your intentions to encourage others to not patronize their business as a result of you treatment by store employees.
    Businesses don't listen to the littleman because he is one voice. They listen to the bells that ching on heir tills. Like for example. Movie theater tried to do what they felt was theright thing and only play g and pg movies providing a family environment free of sex and violence. It wasn't long before the theater was losing money so they reversed the decision.

    I don't have issues with businesses who don't allow firearms but instead opt to shop where they do allow them. If its unavoidable and I need to shop where they don't allow firearms then I simply conceal. (Except prohibited places listed on pag 23)

    I am fully supportive of the 2nd amendment and fully against tyranny but we have to fight with our money if we want to be heard. No sales means no stay in business.

  16. #16
    Regular Member callee11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    13
    Yes I did mention the signs and the MAIN reason for this is because he clearly lied through his teeth saying there was a sign. Besides that I would rather know before hand if firearms are allowed or not... I don't know about y'all but I would find it a lot easier to just see the sign and go do business somewhere else then to go in with my daughter and have to explain to her why we had to leave and why everyone was looking at us. And before y'all take that statement way out of context let me say I don't want more businesses to put up signs... I would just rather see I'm not welcome before I decide to walk in a place then to go in , get in the middle of what I am doing and then have some manager come and make a lil scene about it and tell me to leave. If businesses don't want us in there they are going to keep us out rather it's through a goofy sign or by confronting us in the store in front of our family freinds or whoever else is around. Just my opinion.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by callee11 View Post
    Yes I did mention the signs and the MAIN reason for this is because he clearly lied through his teeth saying there was a sign. Besides that I would rather know before hand if firearms are allowed or not... I don't know about y'all but I would find it a lot easier to just see the sign and go do business somewhere else then to go in with my daughter and have to explain to her why we had to leave and why everyone was looking at us. And before y'all take that statement way out of context let me say I don't want more businesses to put up signs... I would just rather see I'm not welcome before I decide to walk in a place then to go in , get in the middle of what I am doing and then have some manager come and make a lil scene about it and tell me to leave. If businesses don't want us in there they are going to keep us out rather it's through a goofy sign or by confronting us in the store in front of our family freinds or whoever else is around. Just my opinion.
    I can understand that you don't want to be "put on the spot" and all, but I'd also like to make an argument for it: YOU have absolutely no reason to feel ashamed for practicing a God-given/Natural (whichever way you see it) RIGHT to defend yourself and your little ones, yet that is precisely what the antis want us carriers to feel. The people who SHOULD be ashamed are the ones trying to force us to be easy prey. So each time a scene is made by the antis, it helps our cause if bystanders see the following: a raving lunatic screaming about guns (the anti).... and a calm, courteous armed mother and her daughter (you and your daughter, in this case).
    Being defenseless is a choice, and they should respect yours, mine, and ours.


    The odd thing is, I'm in the same conversation on another thread (conversation really starts around post #69):
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...99#post2056199

    Here's part of what I posted:

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man
    One of our goals is to normalize OC, and we can't exactly do that if businesses start putting up signs that have the force of law because then we can't be in there without breaking the law.
    By promoting the posting of signs (even if by unintentional suggestion), an area becomes closed off for casual discourse and normalization of OC by the next OCer who sees that sign (provided it has the force of law, or there is a codified exception in the law for entering with the intent of determining whether the sign reflects company policy).

    We know the business is anti-gun when they ask us to leave BECAUSE of our sidearm, we contact the manager/higher-ups about it, and they ALSO uphold the decision to ask us to leave because we carry a sidearm.
    It seems drawn-out, tiresome, and energy-consuming, but THAT is exactly why the approach of having them reply to EVERY single OCer is effective: they get a chance to see how many people they are no longer getting money from, and get to see how Law-Abiding and POLITE we are; the latter helps to dispel negative stereotypes they may have of OCers.
    This was the response:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man
    Quote Originally Posted by McLintock View Post
    Yes, we to normalize OC, but if a business is anti gun I do not want to step a foot on there property. Also having a gunbuster sign up is costing them business.

    Plus changing someone/business from anti gun/ anti OC is like changing a democrat to a conservative. But I do see your point, I guess I view it a little different
    On the part I bolded:
    I can respect that decision, though I have no problem doing so provided I don't patronize them (spend any money there). I'll give the doors a glance, but won't go out of my way to look for signs. Usually with the amount of time I spend perusing the aisles, AT LEAST two employees get a good glimpse of my 1911 (plus, I tend to wear lighter colors, which really contrasts with the place holster and grips). If they ask me to leave because of my sidearm, I'll simply add it to my list of places I don't patronize, as well as entering it into FriendOrFoe.us and gunburger.com so that other armed LACs can inform their decision on which businesses NOT to patronize. I'm pretty constant about which places I now frequent, so it's a RARE occurrence when I find myself in an anti-gun establishment.

    On the part I underlined:
    Correct, gunbuster signs are announcing that our armed presence isn't welcome (and my money goes where I go), as well as speaking volumes to the defenselessness of everyone in the establishment. Unfortunately, the owners probably won't notice an OCer (or armed LAC, for the matter) pulling up in his/her car, seeing the sign, and then driving to another business because of the sign. It would be akin to CCing to bring awareness to OC: if they can't SEE it, they can't NOTICE it, and they can't become accustomed to it (armed LACs).
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 04-28-2014 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Clarification
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  18. #18
    Regular Member callee11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    13
    I'm going to post this then I'm done.
    I didn't feel ashamed and I never will, If anything I was pissed off. I could have sat there and argued with him in the middle of the store, I have seen several posts on this forum where that type of behavior seems to be condoned, But that's not me. I will be polite and obey the "rules" of the so called manager. That is why I took my gun to the car and went back in to discuss it with him, However he didn't wish to speak to me so the next thing to do would be complain or leave. Also I understand what you are saying about wanting them to "throw us out" but at the same time that just not me. It is not because im "ashamed" it is because I just don't want the hassle of all of it and I don't want my family to be in the middle of some big scene.
    Point being I will not go where I'm not welcome, If I see a sign, I avoid that store, If I don't I will go in. My biggest problem was being lied to, How do I let his superiors know what he did if I cant mention the sign issue?? Had he simply said I don't need a sign, I would have told him I will no longer do business here and I would leave and that would have been the end of it.
    I understand everyone's point but at the same time you all are kind of treating this as I have just unveiled a trade secret, Like businesses had no clue that these signs exist. but like I said before if there is a sign there or not, if they don't want you there they will find a way to keep you out.
    on a side note, Some of the rude and criticizing comments left on this thread have been un called for, I am all about constructive criticism, otherwise I wouldn't have posted. With all that said I will post a response when and if I receive one, But this will be the last time I post on this forum.
    Have a good evening.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Whitney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Poulsbo, Kitsap County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    449

    Good Gouge with a quick how to

    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Well, they may be doing business under another name ~ I do not see them in the Sec. of State's business search.

    I would go back and see their business license (must be posted), find out the name of the company, go to SOS website searching for business, find its registered agent, and send a demand letter to them via their registered agent asking for $$$. This will get you a response.

    If they are not licensed with the SOS then this does not mean that they cannot do business but it does lead to the situation where they cannot sue in the state (they can defend a lawsuit, just not initiate one).

    I would not bother with the "manager"...bother the people who hold the purse strings; make it a civil rights issue and an entrapment issue. Who knows...maybe they'll apologize and offer you some cash.

    The time for being nice is past ...
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    I was intrigued by this post. For my own edification, I went to my Secretary of State (SOS) website and did a quick search for Trader Joe.

    The short version...you may not be dealing with the the actual business; there is a business entity called "registered agent", a middle man of sorts.

    Screen shots as attachments: Links follow for what I discovered.

    In this case (click on the green link below search results) it seems TJ has an agent named Paracorp.
    If you click the additional information link from the previous result you find business governing information.

    So...what the heck / who is Paracorp? Google foo says ......Paracorp Inc, and they have a website, Parasec dot com.

    I tend to agree with davidmcbeth with regard to skiping the manager and making my case elsewhere.

    ~Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

  20. #20
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    callee11,
    I'm sorry if my post came off as a scathing criticism. I usually try to (over-) use emoticons to soften up the tone that people read it in. And I'm sorry if I offended you, since that was never my intention.

    I never meant to sound as though arguing in the store is productive. I was just trying to point out that shaming/pointing out of OCers is one reason people seem to choose CC over OC. So you and I share the same view on people who decide to have the debate in the middle of the stores. Unfortunately, OCer's are seen as "ambassadors", whether they like it or not. An argumentative OCer tends to give other OCers a bad image in the minds of observers. I'm also against this "you're an ambassador of OC" () thing.

    In cases of an anti-gun business asking OCers to leave, I advocate for leaving the premises and then contacting the manager/higher-ups by phone call or email (email is my preference, since it leaves a trail). So yes, you did what I would have done by leaving.

    While some stores do know about the signs, others never post them because they fear guns only because they are ignorant of guns, not like the antis, who have an illogical fear of guns.
    Posting of signs just makes it less likely that they'll ever interact with OCers and dispel whatever negative stereotype they've cultivated. I know in my case, I've changed a few minds just within my family (just ask me what my first Thanksgiving while OC was like).

    Again, I never meant to offend you or be rude. I try to make my criticisms be constructive, lest I reduce myself to troll-like behaviour. I believe open discourse, with mutual respect, is how each of us can contribute to promoting OC, and I apologize if what I posted came off as hostility instead of an attempt at passionate discourse.

    I hope you'll consider continuing to post here, since each member contributes a slightly different perspective to the forum.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 04-28-2014 at 09:26 PM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitney View Post
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    I was intrigued by this post. For my own edification, I went to my Secretary of State (SOS) website and did a quick search for Trader Joe.

    The short version...you may not be dealing with the the actual business; there is a business entity called "registered agent", a middle man of sorts.

    Screen shots as attachments: Links follow for what I discovered.

    In this case (click on the green link below search results) it seems TJ has an agent named Paracorp.
    If you click the additional information link from the previous result you find business governing information.

    So...what the heck / who is Paracorp? Google foo says ......Paracorp Inc, and they have a website, Parasec dot com.

    I tend to agree with davidmcbeth with regard to skiping the manager and making my case elsewhere.

    ~Whitney
    The "registered agent" is simply a company that can accept legal service for the company. Usually you can serve the president of the company or the registered agent or another officer of the company for civil service. I always serve the reg. agent because there is never any question that he can accept service for the company.

  22. #22
    Regular Member 2AFriendly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    80
    I may have missed it, but what is the store's location?
    Unfriendly | Neutral | Friendly | OC Friendly

    Rate the places you carry according to their 2A friendliness. Online or with free apps for iPhone and Android.

    Proud sponsor of OpenCarry.org

  23. #23
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitney View Post
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    I was intrigued by this post. For my own edification, I went to my Secretary of State (SOS) website and did a quick search for Trader Joe.

    The short version...you may not be dealing with the the actual business; there is a business entity called "registered agent", a middle man of sorts.
    We only visited trader joes when we visited relatives in CA, keep hoping they'd come to Dallas. About 3-4 years ago Aldi did come, then Trader Joes - obviously setting up distribution centers/channels is easier for the Aldi grocery stores, then roll out Trader Joes on top of it. Want to say one of the Aldi brothers died a few years ago. Both of the guys were/are billionaires in Germany and are/were on Forbes 400 list.

    From Wiki

    Trader Joe's is an American privately held chain of specialty grocery stores headquartered in Monrovia, California, in Greater Los Angeles. As of May 2013, Trader Joe's had a total of 408 stores.[1] Approximately half of its stores are in California, with the heaviest concentration in Southern California, but the company also has locations in 30 other states and Washington, D.C..[5]

    Trader Joe's was founded by Joe Coulombe and has been owned since 1979 by a German family trust established by Aldi Nord's owner Theo Albrecht.[6] The chain has offices in Monrovia, California and Boston, Massachusetts.[7]
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Midwest City, OK
    Posts
    35
    I've been following this thread about Aldi's. I love a good argument especially when I have someone else on my side against the manager. There's no need to get upset and no need to send emails, and etc.

    Here's a tip for you. If you don't see a gun buster sign when you oc into the store, and the manager tells you that you can't carry in the store, get his name and then just turn around, leave, go to your vehicle, get on your smartphone, google the store's corporate headquarters and ask them what their gun carry policy is. If they tell you that they allow oc in accordance to state laws, then inform them of the incident, give them the manager's name and ask them to call the store right away because you're in the parking lot and would like to go back in to do your shopping without further incident, and also, ask them to set the manager straight. In the meanwhile, march right back into the store and oc. If the manager bothers you again, he probably didn't get the phone call yet. Inform him you called corporate and that they will be calling him any minute to set his (_|_) straight.

    I've done that and it's funny how the manager disappears out of sight.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •