Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Parent calls cops on teen for giving books away at a book giveaway

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838

    Parent calls cops on teen for giving books away at a book giveaway


  2. #2
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Good for those kids. I read that book and it reminded me quite a bit about growing up.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    idaho
    Posts
    760
    Makes me wonder...the book was written by an adult. However, if an adult writes an email or a letter to a minor about masturbation its illegal.

  4. #4
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by onus View Post
    Makes me wonder...the book was written by an adult. However, if an adult writes an email or a letter to a minor about masturbation its illegal.

    It's a book not a letter. And it more than likely is based on experiences, some I find some similarities with.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    idaho
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    It's a book not a letter.
    whats the difference ?

  6. #6
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by onus View Post
    whats the difference ?
    A binding and cover?
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  7. #7
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    It's a book not a letter.
    Quote Originally Posted by onus View Post
    whats the difference ?
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    A binding and cover?
    I would have said: "An editor, publisher, and machine binding, in that order".

    @ JoeSparky: I take it you've never bound a homemade book, or glued on the cover? Still a "book" of sorts, but not as unequivocal as having the above.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  8. #8
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    A "letter" is individualized, unlike a "letter" published in the "media." You send a "letter" to a kid(s) and mention "naughty stuff" and expect to be visited by your local Deputy Fife. Get your local paper to publish your "letter" and expect to be greeted with "stink-eye" looks from some of your more "prudish" neighbors.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  9. #9
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    A "letter" is individualized, unlike a "letter" published in the "media." You send a "letter" to a kid(s) and mention "naughty stuff" and expect to be visited by your local Deputy Fife. Get your local paper to publish your "letter" and expect to be greeted with "stink-eye" looks from some of your more "prudish" neighbors.
    +1
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •