• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal to prohibit sales to non LEO and non military

onus

I went on the website for Blackhawk and was looking at some of their stuff. When I got to their armor products I noticed they all said "military and LEO" only.

Is this legal ? Do these jerks think that only LEO and military are worth protecting their lives ?

notalawyer

I went on the website for Blackhawk and was looking at some of their stuff. When I got to their armor products I noticed they all said "military and LEO" only.

Is this legal ? Do these jerks think that only LEO and military are worth protecting their lives ?

Why do you think that any company should not be able to decide what to sell to whom?

onus

Why do you think that any company should not be able to decide what to sell to whom?

I believe companies should be able to sell to whomever they want. However, in America today they don't have that right.

I am more concerned though that a gun/shooting products company thinks the lives of LEO and military are more important than regular citizens.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I believe companies should be able to sell to whomever they want. However, in America today they don't have that right.

I am more concerned though that a gun/shooting products company thinks the lives of LEO and military are more important than regular citizens.

Current anti-trust laws would prohibit much of this

http://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/comp...ust-laws/price-discrimination-robinson-patman

If there is an exception cut of for cops (I guessing there is ~ and no, I am not looking into the world of anti-trust laws ~ its a quagmire) is not know for certain to me.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Body armor is a personal choice and it has many uses. I wear a vest when I shoot at the "gravel pit" for obvious reasons. I have several in my kit from soft concealable to plate carriers. I do not wear armor all the time (but when I do, I'm in seattle), only when I feel I will "need" it. Try Ebay, and save some bucks.

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Quick_Answers.shtml#13 A quick question and answer page on armor.

13. Is it legal for civilians to buy Body Armor?
In general, yes - for law-abiding folks. A felony conviction makes possession of Body Armor illegal under federal law and in many states.

We have had civilian clients with many different civilian needs for Body Armor so we understand the need for vests for civilians. Our policy is to only sell to law-abiding adults who have a lawful purpose for Body Armor. (A parent or guardian may buy for a minor with a legitimate need.)

Residents of Connecticut are prohibited from buying Body Armor unless the sale is face to face (or unless the buyer is a police officer, Police Department, or military). We can't ship to Connecticut, or even accept credit cards billed there...

We cannot ship to residents of Connecticut
who are not police or military.

Some states are considering new legislation to prohibit or restrict sales of Body Armor to civilians, e.g., New York. If you are in a state that passes such a law, you would be well advised to make your Body Armor purchase now before it becomes much more expensive and inconvenient, if not prohibited altogether.

notalawyer

Can a company only sell to white folk?

They certainly should be able to do so, however the government in their infinite wisdom has decided to carve out special protections for several groups of folks that they feel warrant such special protections.

LEO are on one such list, and the others...well you know who is on them.

Unfortunately gun-owners or non-LEOs are not on any.

Last edited: