• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Park Ranger in Roosevelt

Dario

With all the negative publicity the feds get lately I thought I'd share a good experience I had on the Peak to Peak a couple of weeks ago. It was just after a big spring snow, my son and I wanted to test out his new Marlin model 60 and cycle through some ammo on the others. Our favorite spot was snowed out so we went to plan B spot which had some tracks we could follow in. We parked near the highway to scout the area and it turned out the tracks were caused by a PR who was just sitting in his truck about 50 yards in.

As we walked up he got out of his truck. I imagine he was thinking we were going hiking or something similar and he was a bit surprised when I asked if we could target shoot this close to the highway due to the conditions. He said it wasn't a problem and asked what kind of targets we had, I explained we had some cardboard and a metal spinner, and a cheap plastic-type swivel that does a poor job of resealing bullet holes. He had an issue with the latter so I said no problem I would leave in the car.

He then asked if we knew the rules and regs (I actually have them printed out but buried under all the gear) and gave us a copy while inquiring about the 4 steps of gun safety which I recited flawlessly... On reflection I should have put my 14 year old on the spot and had HIM recite the steps. He does know them of course but I'm sure he would have turned beet red and stammered, which would have been priceless :lol:

What impressed me was that we were treated with respect the entire time, not once inquiring anything about our motives, running our names or treating us suspiciously. It made me really happy to live here. I regrettably didn't get his name (didn't think about it until after the fact) but he went on his way and we had the next 2 hours to ourselves. It was a beautiful warm day in the snow and the best day at the range in recent memory. As for the Marlin? 300 rounds without a hitch and a great addition to the family.

notalawyer

With all the negative publicity the feds get lately I thought I'd share a good experience I had on the Peak to Peak a couple of weeks ago. It was just after a big spring snow, my son and I wanted to test out his new Marlin model 60 and cycle through some ammo on the others. Our favorite spot was snowed out so we went to plan B spot which had some tracks we could follow in. We parked near the highway to scout the area and it turned out the tracks were caused by a PR who was just sitting in his truck about 50 yards in.

As we walked up he got out of his truck. I imagine he was thinking we were going hiking or something similar and he was a bit surprised when I asked if we could target shoot this close to the highway due to the conditions. He said it wasn't a problem and asked what kind of targets we had, I explained we had some cardboard and a metal spinner, and a cheap plastic-type swivel that does a poor job of resealing bullet holes. He had an issue with the latter so I said no problem I would leave in the car.

He then asked if we knew the rules and regs (I actually have them printed out but buried under all the gear) and gave us a copy while inquiring about the 4 steps of gun safety which I recited flawlessly... On reflection I should have put my 14 year old on the spot and had HIM recite the steps. He does know them of course but I'm sure he would have turned beet red and stammered, which would have been priceless :lol:

What impressed me was that we were treated with respect the entire time, not once inquiring anything about our motives, running our names or treating us suspiciously. It made me really happy to live here. I regrettably didn't get his name (didn't think about it until after the fact) but he went on his way and we had the next 2 hours to ourselves. It was a beautiful warm day in the snow and the best day at the range in recent memory. As for the Marlin? 300 rounds without a hitch and a great addition to the family.

So your quite happy with being interrogated, bullied into not using the targets of your own choosing, and have to prove you could recite some stupid 'rules'? Then you glad he did not further violate your rights by unlawfully detaining you and demanding ID?

Interesting definition of good! :banghead:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
So your quite happy with being interrogated, bullied into not using the targets of your own choosing, and have to prove you could recite some stupid 'rules'? Then you glad he did not further violate your rights by unlawfully detaining you and demanding ID?

Sheesh. If you won the lottery, would you be upset that it cost you $1 to do so?

Dario

Well I could have played ignorant or waited until he left. Either way I would have enjoyed a good day of shooting.

OC for ME

The OP initiated the contact. The OP consented to the interaction. The OP did as he thought best, not what you think is best.

Yeah, I would have put my son on the spot as well.....maybe next time.;)

Shooting in the snow.....brrr, no way Jose, not me.

Dario

It was 60 degrees. Keep in mind I was only able to get about 75 yards off the road. The law says 150 yards but I thought I would ask the Ranger since he was right there and the possibility of getting "permission" seemed a better idea at the time than trudging all the gear another 75 yards in 2 feet of snow.

notalawyer

The OP initiated the contact. The OP consented to the interaction. The OP did as he thought best, not what you think is best.

Yeah, I would have put my son on the spot as well.....maybe next time.;)

Shooting in the snow.....brrr, no way Jose, not me.

So your comments about my reply are somehow more valid than my comments about his post.

Interesting.......

OC for ME

It was 60 degrees. Keep in mind I was only able to get about 75 yards off the road. The law says 150 yards but I thought I would ask the Ranger since he was right there and the possibility of getting "permission" seemed a better idea at the time than trudging all the gear another 75 yards in 2 feet of snow.
Sounds like a good day at the "range." When it comes to shooting on a improvised range I would have asked permission too. The PR sounded reasonable and I imagine he quizzed you more for your son's benefit and not his. I assign no ill intent on his part.

Did he happen to stop by later? Or did you not see him for the remainder of the day?

The following is just me, so take it for what you think it is worth. I would have asked if it would be permitted to contact him at the end of your shooting session, as a courtesy, to let him know that you were done shooting and hitting the road. My experience is that cops (even PRs) appreciate being kept in the loop for letting a little "lawlessness" (not being 150' back from the road) get by when there is no real reason to say no. Make and leave a good impression, reasonable cops remember reasonable citizens. Also, a good learning experience that not all cops, not by a long shot, are by default unreasonable idgits.

OC for ME

So your comments about my reply are somehow more valid than my comments about his post.

Interesting.......
You assigned behaviors and/or acts to the PR that were not reported to have been observed by the OP. Your criticism was unwarranted, in my view, given the facts as provided by the OP.

notalawyer

You assigned behaviors and/or acts to the PR that were not reported to have been observed by the OP. Your criticism was unwarranted, in my view, given the facts as provided by the OP.

Might want to check your reading comprehension. I offered no criticism on the matter, just an observation. You, on the other hand made a judgement based on a false presumption.

notalawyer

Sheesh. If you won the lottery, would you be upset that it cost you $1 to do so?

Anyone is free to perform tricks for authority figures when seeking dispensation of the rules (I doubt the P.R. had legal authority to grant in the first place).
Sort of like the little dogie begging fro a scrap and the dinner table (in violation of previously established rules to the contrary) being made to beg, roll over, play dead, etc. I'm sure the dogie thinks that's good too. And maybe it is. :banghead:

OC for ME

Might want to check your reading comprehension. I offered no criticism on the matter, just an observation. You, on the other hand made a judgement based on a false presumption.
Of course you did. I am not the only one who read your criticism. Tone and tenor are key here. Your initial post is spot on in far too many cop/citizen interactions. In this interaction, not so much.

notalawyer

Of course you did. I am not the only one who read your criticism. Tone and tenor are key here. Your initial post is spot on in far too many cop/citizen interactions. In this interaction, not so much.

In this interaction, not so much
I'm sorry...you were present?

Not sure why you think your interpretation of the OP's words are superior to anyone Else's?

I am not the only one who read your criticism.
Oh noes, someone has a different viewpoint? Oh, the horror! :shocker:

Gray Rider

LEO discretion aka common sense

LEOs exercise discretion on a regular basis. Whether one agrees with the practice or not, law enforcement is not a zero tolerance profession. We provide the training, we provide the equipment, the common sense needed to properly apply those the individual officer must furnish themselves.

The ranger was asked for discretion on not enforcing the letter of the distance law in view of mitigating circumstances. The distance law is related to safety. So the questions were reasonable in determining his favorable answer.

But someone with a chip on their shoulder would still snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory. Amazing, just amazing...

Last edited:

notalawyer

LEOs exercise discretion on a regular basis. Whether one agrees with the practice or not, it is not a zero tolerance profession. We provide the training, we provide the equipment, the common sense needed to properly apply those the individual must furnish their own.

The ranger was asked for discretion on not enforcing the letter of the distance law in view of mitigating circumstances. The distance law is related to safety. So the questions were reasonable in determining his answer.

I would agree if the OP would have asked if he would be arrested for violating the law in that specific situation. He did not, he asked if he could violate the law.

Something no LEO can authorize (in normal situations).

OC for ME

Dispensation.

The PR, I would like to think, has the authority to consider all circumstances when deciding his proper course of action.

In this particular case you are on the wrong side of reasonable in my view.

OC for ME

LOL LEO trained to common sense discretion. LEO discretion is on the coattails of the court's judicial discretion as an officer of the court. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.
Another singular, and obvious, observation. But, when it works in your favor "on the side of the road" it is a good thing.

notalawyer

Dispensation.

The PR, I would like to think, has the authority to consider all circumstances when deciding his proper course of action.

In this particular case you are on the wrong side of reasonable in my view.

Would you agree that P.R. #2 would have the same discretion when arriving an hour later (perhaps after complaints) and arresting OP for a violation of the law? Not sure how convincing would sound: "But the other guy dressed like you said I could." Name? No I did not get a name." "But he was dressed just like you"