• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Gun For Open Carry

Chief Ten Beers

This past weekend I went to the gun show in Murray, Kentucky looking specifically for a .45 ACP, and I found one. I bought a Hi-Point Model JHP .45 ACP. Now I can either carry this or a .45 SAA. I can't carry my Hi-Point yet, cause I don't have a holster for it. Can anyone here recommend a good holster for it and where I can buy one, either online, or a store? I live in western Kentucky, just west of the LBL. A tactical holster will work, but I prefer either a leather or a nylon holster.

Thanks.

100_7031.jpg

Last edited:

outlaw13

Don't know about any stores in your area. I would say Paducha would have at leasts one. As specific as it is to order online I would say your best bet.
Good luck and congrats
♠Outlaw♠

DrakeZ07

This past weekend I went to the gun show in Murray, Kentucky looking specifically for a .45 ACP, and I found one. I bought a Hi-Point Model JHP .45 ACP. Now I can either carry this or a .45 SSA. I can't carry my Hi-Point yet, cause I don't have a holster for it. Can anyone here recommend a good holster for it and where I can buy one, either online, or a store? I live in western Kentucky, just west of the LBL. A tactical holster will work, but I prefer either a leather or a nylon holster.

Thanks.

View attachment 11536

Welcome to the illustrious, secretive, and modest club of Hi-Point owners, and carriers. As far as holsters are concerned, I have not been able to find ANY drop-leg/tactical holster that will hold a full size (.40/.45) HP without jiggling around, flapping against my leg, or being a general nuisance, and trust me, I've bought everything from el cheapo five dollar rigs, to 130 dollar rigs. The best hip holster for the HP that I've found so far, and once again went through many different ones of various prices, is the one I initially bought along side my HP for 20$. The brand name on it is worn out, but its nylon, and has a brass snap buckle to keep it in place. It's held up nicely for the last three years, no rips, tears, brays, or any thing wrong with it other than a worn out name brand, and a worn snap button. If I can figure out the name I'll tell ya more.

Honestly speaking, at least in my case, I've found that the best holster for my beloved Hi Point, is also one of the most inexpensive ones on the market. And besides, it's a good pairing, right? Inexpensive but solid and durable holster, for a inexpensive but solid and durable sidearm.

Even though the mission 'statement' of OCDO is the discussion of properly holstered open carry, I cannot let you think that is legally required as a minimum. "Mexican carry" e.g.; Carrying a sidearm behind your back (or on your side, or belly) with the barrel slipped in your pants, and the chamber/round expulsion slot thing, and handle exposed and plainly seen, is still LEGAL OPEN CARRY. I've done it many times actually. HOWEVER, It is a dangerous means of carrying, and I've only done it with an EMPTY CHAMBER, and safety on. I only recommend it to someone who cannot otherwise afford, or find, or have the means to get, a holster for their weapon, and only for those who are smart with their sidearm, and know not to stick a firearm in their pants without clearing the chamber and putting the safety on.

Last edited:

Chief Ten Beers

Don't know about any stores in your area. I would say Paducha would have at leasts one. As specific as it is to order online I would say your best bet.
Good luck and congrats
♠Outlaw♠

Hey outlaw, I know of a couple of stores not to far from me without having to go to Paducah, so I'll try those first. If I can't find what I want from there, then I'll go to Paducah to Dunn's and Shooters Supply. I actually have two guns to get holsters for, this Hi-Point .45 ACP and a smaller Llama .380 that looks like a baby 1911. :) I don't have a ccw, so these will be oc holsters. :D

Chief Ten Beers

Welcome to the illustrious, secretive, and modest club of Hi-Point owners, and carriers. As far as holsters are concerned, I have not been able to find ANY drop-leg/tactical holster that will hold a full size (.40/.45) HP without jiggling around, flapping against my leg, or being a general nuisance, and trust me, I've bought everything from el cheapo five dollar rigs, to 130 dollar rigs. The best hip holster for the HP that I've found so far, and once again went through many different ones of various prices, is the one I initially bought along side my HP for 20$. The brand name on it is worn out, but its nylon, and has a brass snap buckle to keep it in place. It's held up nicely for the last three years, no rips, tears, brays, or any thing wrong with it other than a worn out name brand, and a worn snap button. If I can figure out the name I'll tell ya more.

Honestly speaking, at least in my case, I've found that the best holster for my beloved Hi Point, is also one of the most inexpensive ones on the market. And besides, it's a good pairing, right? Inexpensive but solid and durable holster, for a inexpensive but solid and durable sidearm.

Even though the mission 'statement' of OCDO is the discussion of properly holstered open carry, I cannot let you think that is legally required as a minimum. "Mexican carry" e.g.; Carrying a sidearm behind your back (or on your side, or belly) with the barrel slipped in your pants, and the chamber/round expulsion slot thing, and handle exposed and plainly seen, is still LEGAL OPEN CARRY. I've done it many times actually. HOWEVER, It is a dangerous means of carrying, and I've only done it with an EMPTY CHAMBER, and safety on. I only recommend it to someone who cannot otherwise afford, or find, or have the means to get, a holster for their weapon, and only for those who are smart with their sidearm, and know not to stick a firearm in their pants without clearing the chamber and putting the safety on.

Hey Drake, I'm looking more for a holster that goes on a belt, either my pants belt, or a separate belt. I like the nylon holsters too, especially if it has a belt clip on it instead of a belt loop. I do have one of those nylon holsters, but it's too small for my Hi-Point, I got that for a single action .22 revolver, and my Lorcin .380. I usually carry a Uberti .45 Colt SSA with a 7 1/2 inch barrel in a Buscadero holster, but that gets heavy after awhile and it covers my pants pocket where I carry my cell phone. So I figured I'd lighten my load a bit without giving up heavy fire power. :) If you know what I mean. :D As far as "Mexican carry" goes, I'm not Mexican, so that's definitely out of the question. :lol:

Chief Ten Beers

Update!!

I actually got two guns from the gun show last weekend, the Hi-Point .45 ACP, and a Llama .380. Today I went to my local gun store and bought an open carry holster for each. A Fobus for my Hi-Point, and a Gun Mate for my Llama. :banana:

Attachments

• 100_7061.jpg
    100_7061.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 100_7098.jpg
    100_7098.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 137

WalkingWolf

I actually got two guns from the gun show last weekend, the Hi-Point .45 ACP, and a Llama .380. Today I went to my local gun store and bought an open carry holster for each. A Fobus for my Hi-Point, and a Gun Mate for my Llama. :banana:

My wife has a fobus for her CF380 she likes it. I don't care for paddles, prefer belt holsters.

Glad you found something that works for you, I was going to suggest Old Wheel Gun Shop but you have already found what you were looking for. The craftsman is a HP owner as well as SA revolvers, he is also a well known member of HPFF.

Chief Ten Beers

Thanks WalkingWolf, for the information on Old Wheel Gun Shop. I'll check them out. I do like to have more than one holster for some of my guns, and these two are some of them, especially my Hi-Point. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior