• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unusual signs noted n my visit to OKC

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I found the No "open carry" allowed sign on the hotel curious, I found second no open carry sign on Texas Roadhouse to be indicating a trend since it was the second place I visited in your fine city.

Notably these are not giving any sort of concealed carry restriction except the gun with a circle and slash on it pictured, but the words address OC only.

I have seen a few more but did not note the location.

We have yet to see such creativity in MO, but we have yet to get a state wide preemption and OC is fairly unpopular, we do have some pending legislation that could alter things a bit. Should we be expecting the no oc signs to follow?

When we got ccw we had the run on signs but they have dwindles down a lot. Just looking for feedback, not being critical.

OC for ME

Interesting. Do sign of any type carry the weight of law? Or, is the sign merely a notification that the carrier will be trespassed?

Does OC at a gas pump count where the store proper has a sign?

Randy P

Our local Los Cabos has a "No Open Carry Allowed" posted. At most they could ask you to cover or to leave. Even if LEO is called all they could do is ask you to leave and at the managers request No Trespass you, which I doubt would happen at a chain store.

I never let the sign slow me down, but I am almost always untucked (no one likes a fat man to have his carhartt tucked in it seems). The OC thing we have now just saves me from when I stretch or have a Marilyn Monroe moment while standing over the air vents, etc.

hrdware

Interesting. Do sign of any type carry the weight of law? Or, is the sign merely a notification that the carrier will be trespassed?

Does OC at a gas pump count where the store proper has a sign?

Signs do not have weight of law. You can be asked to leave and if you don't you can be trespassed. At a gas station, you are in the parking lot and the sign just effects the building.

Glock 1st fan

It depends. If its on the list of prohibited places the signs hold a lot of weight. Other then that if you enter past a sign posted on private property you can be asked to leave. If you refuse the police can issue a trespass citation. The fine is I believe either 250 or 350 if you are in possession of a firearm

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It depends. If its on the list of prohibited places the signs hold a lot of weight. Other then that if you enter past a sign posted on private property you can be asked to leave. If you refuse the police can issue a trespass citation. The fine is I believe either 250 or 350 if you are in possession of a firearm
Trespass fine increases if you are carrying?

Cite please - I'm not familiar with that.

hrdware

Oklahoma Statutes said:
The carrying of a concealed or unconcealed firearm by a person who has been issued a handgun license on property that has signs prohibiting the carrying of firearms shall not be deemed a criminal act but may subject the person to being denied entrance onto the property or removed from the property. If the person refuses to leave the property and a peace officer is summoned, the person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00).

Note, this only applies to those carrying and have been issued a handgun permit. A criminal without a permit can not be charged with this for not leaving when asked.

The amount of the fine does seem to be the same as for anyone trespassing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Statutes, Title 21, Section 1290.22, Paragraph D
The carrying of a concealed or unconcealed firearm by a person who has been issued a handgun license on property that has signs prohibiting the carrying of firearms shall not be deemed a criminal act but may subject the person to being denied entrance onto the property or removed from the property. If the person refuses to leave the property and a peace officer is summoned, the person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00).

Note, this only applies to those carrying and have been issued a handgun permit. A criminal without a permit can not be charged with this for not leaving when asked.

The amount of the fine does seem to be the same as for anyone trespassing.

This statute just seems to clarify that one may still be charge with trespass, but not a gun violation if they have a permit/license.

IMO, a criminal could/would be charged with a separate trespass offense AND a separate gun related charge.

Glock 1st fan

This statute just seems to clarify that one may still be charge with trespass, but not a gun violation if they have a permit/license.

IMO, a criminal could/would be charged with a separate trespass offense AND a separate gun related charge.

What this law is stating is that the possession of the firearm itself shall not be guilty of a criminal offense for possession of a firearm while trespassing.. trespassing in itel is still a misdemeanor

To clarify on the fines it depends on how they are filed. If its on the state charge its 250 dollars wich matches the sda laws fine. If a person is charged through a city ordinance the fine may be less then 250 dollars. Take for example in tulsa we see transients arrested daily and they are charged for violating city ordinance and most get a 150 dollar fine or a day in jail.

So while my statement of fines increasing I did not take into consderation that our fines are usually charged through municipal courts

Last edited:

Arin Morris

Open carry is fairly new in Oklahoma. There seems to be a lot of anti-open carry gun owners and a lot of these signs are replacements to knee jerk reactions to GFZ signs put in place after open carry was passed. The concealed carry proponents managed to have some of the signs changed to only discriminate against open carriers. Which I find kind of ironic as their favorite motto is "Concealed is concealed, I ignore the signs."

Glock 1st fan

Open carry is fairly new in Oklahoma. There seems to be a lot of anti-open carry gun owners and a lot of these signs are replacements to knee jerk reactions to GFZ signs put in place after open carry was passed. The concealed carry proponents managed to have some of the signs changed to only discriminate against open carriers. Which I find kind of ironic as their favorite motto is "Concealed is concealed, I ignore the signs."

There are many open carry supporters who settle for no open carry because its a baby step. While I fully support open carry I am. Thankful some places at least allow ccw as it prevents me being disarmed.

While open carry is still in its infancy there are not a lot percentage wise ocing now which raises more fear. If more people did oc it may change busines owners minds more.

I just tell people when I teach read the sda book because its the best source of information and carry responsible. That's what's going to turn the tide of support in our favor

Last edited: