• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Annoyance with Anti-Gunners.

7om5hipp

This story is not about me, it is about a friend of mine who OCs. I am only telling this incident because it is another account of just how foolish anti-gunners really are and how they only make it harder for themselves.

My friend has been looking for a new house, he and his wife found one in town that they really liked and ha gone to look at the place. The seller was at the house when the Realtor gave them the first tour, and like always my friend was carrying his firearm. Everything seemed to have gone smoothly. A week later they called back to get a second look at the house and they were hit with the words "The seller is uncomfortable with you carrying a gun." And that the seller was no longer considering them as buyers. All because he carried a firearm, she has decided that they are not good enough to buy her house.

Now as you can imagine my friend is a bit pissed, heck I am pissed as well because of how they were treated and I was not even involved. The funny thing is that the house has been on the market for over 3 years and the owner is asking way to much for a 50+ year old house, and she turned away the only people to show interest in the house. Because cause of her "uncomfortable feeling" she missed out on selling her house.

Now that I shared it and all I guess you guys can read and have a good laugh.

Gallowmere

I'd be sure to let them know, "Eh, it's still a buyer's market. We'll likely find a better deal within the week anyway. Thank you, and goodbye."

stealthyeliminator

LOL! What difference would it possibly make? She's selling the house and moving away, no? Very silly. I think maybe she just doesn't want to sell. Wasting the realtor's time and probably a good amount of her own money.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Put in a bid at the asking price and have an inspection rider. Have the friend carry and do the inspection...then find a zillion things wrong and cause the cancellation of the contract .... do the inspection as late as possible so that the deal falls through by the end of summer..

Now 4 yrs on the market.

dakatak87

Would some form of retribution be made if they were denied sale because of race or religion?

Sadly, bigotry will never fully go away. We can continue to educate the people about the 2A.

OC for ME

I think with land sales, people have the cash .. you MUST sell.
You reside in CT and as such CT may have such a anti-liberty law on the books.....it is CT after all. In MO, no such law exists.....we seem to be a wee bit more liberty minded here in MO.

Being annoyed is on the citizen who chooses to be annoyed, not the citizen who is annoying. As was previously stated, walk away, there are other houses on the market.

georg jetson

Not the case in any state I know of... perhaps you could link us to this law in your state. Typically, when a house is listed, the seller will sign a contract with a broker "to find a willing and able buyer". If such a person is found, the commision is due even if the seller refuses to sell.

A bit more on topic... sounds like this seller is just finding excuses not to sell. Walk away. No big deal.

Freedom1Man

The county should be required to pay the taxed rate any time the house has been on the market for more than 90 days or refund the taxes for the past 10 years at the actual sales price.

Then why not make it on all things that can be sold?

Not the case in any state I know of... perhaps you could link us to this law in your state. Typically, when a house is listed, the seller will sign a contract with a broker "to find a willing and able buyer". If such a person is found, the commision is due even if the seller refuses to sell.

A bit more on topic... sounds like this seller is just finding excuses not to sell. Walk away. No big deal.

He seems to have been expressing a belief of how things should be not stating how things are.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

If an offer to purchase in full agreement with the terms is not accepted, then one can suit for specific performance.
http://www.biggerpockets.com/articl...a-successful-lawsuit-for-specific-performance

Elm Creek Smith

"The Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO) administers and enforces federal laws and establishes policies that make sure all Americans have equal access to the housing of their choice."

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp

According to federal law, you can't discriminate against ANYONE in housing sales, sales, or rentals if they are "able" buyers. If someone qualifies for a loan and both parties can agree on a price, the sale must be accepted. I'd tell the realtor to tell the owner that I was going to sue the her for discrimination. If you can make that case that your religious beliefs require you to be armed, you might actually be able to sue!

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
My friend has been looking for a new house, he and his wife found one in town that they really liked and ha gone to look at the place. The seller was at the house when the Realtor gave them the first tour, and like always my friend was carrying his firearm. Everything seemed to have gone smoothly. A week later they called back to get a second look at the house and they were hit with the words "The seller is uncomfortable with you carrying a gun." And that the seller was no longer considering them as buyers. All because he carried a firearm, she has decided that they are not good enough to buy her house.

Sounds like it's prior to any offer. Contracts require four things before they're enforceable: offer, acceptance, intent, and consideration. For property sales, they must also be in writing. Discrimination in the U.S. is protected by several acts, covering things like age, race, creed, sex, etc.

Similarly, HUD only enforces along these lines, as well, as specifically stated on their website: "HUD investigates complaints of housing discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, or familial status."

I'm afraid it doesn't encompass firearms. Until it does, the general rule stating, "We reserve the right to refuse service" will continue to apply.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Sounds like it's prior to any offer. Contracts require four things before they're enforceable: offer, acceptance, intent, and consideration. For property sales, they must also be in writing. Discrimination in the U.S. is protected by several acts, covering things like age, race, creed, sex, etc.

Similarly, HUD only enforces along these lines, as well, as specifically stated on their website: "HUD investigates complaints of housing discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, or familial status."

I'm afraid it doesn't encompass firearms. Until it does, the general rule stating, "We reserve the right to refuse service" will continue to apply.

All correct.

However, if the buyers wanted the house and submitted an offer with no contingencies and for full asking price, the seller would have no recourse but to accept it or risk having to pay the realtor's commission based on the fact that she had fulfilled her responsibility to find qualified, willing buyers. If the seller did refuse such an offer, the buyers could sue for specific performance.

It all gets down to how badly the buyers wanted that house....

Maverick9

Actually, I'm rather surprised to the point of being shocked that more Real Estate agents don't carry firearms, and encourage carry by LACs. It's a fairly risky business for the (typically) female agent to show up and go into a house with an unknown person or persons.

Who would guess that this agent would fail the 'intelligence' part of the RE exam, heh.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Actually, I'm rather surprised to the point of being shocked that more Real Estate agents don't carry firearms, and encourage carry by LACs. It's a fairly risky business for the (typically) female agent to show up and go into a house with an unknown person or persons.

Who would guess that this agent would fail the 'intelligence' part of the RE exam, heh.

350px-Railway_turnout_-_Oulu_Finland.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

A real estate contract also requires "consideration" - which might only be $1.00, love and other considerations.

If an offer to buy is made meeting the listed minimum terms and not accepted by the sellers, one can sue for specific performance = force the sale.

Freedom1Man

A real estate contract also requires "consideration" - which might only be $1.00, love and other considerations.

If an offer to buy is made meeting the listed minimum terms and not accepted by the sellers, one can sue for specific performance = force the sale.

You are evil, absolutely correct, but evil, in a good way.