Thread: New meteor shower, the Camelopardalids, 0200 CDT 24 May

New meteor shower, the Camelopardalids, 0200 CDT 24 May

Earth will pass through Comet 209P/LINEAR debris trail from 0045 to 0350 on 24 May. At about 0200 CDT the new meteor shower, the Camelopardalids, will peak with as many as (means less-than) 1000 meteors/hour visible. More conservative estimates have 100 - 400 meteors visible per hour, still comparable to the best annual meteor showers.

The eponymous constellation Camelopardalis, containing the apparent point of origin of the meteors, will be in my northern
    sky just lower (closer to the horizon) than Polaris, the North Star at the end of the Little Dipper's handle (and just 45 degrees above my horizon).

The usual instructions for watching meteor showers have one laying with your feet pointing away from the shower's radiant, the point of origin, and watching the darker regions of the local sky.

The crescent moon will rise on the distant eastern horizon at 0210 CDT. A forecast of the cloudiness a month in the future is not practical, but the NOAA Climate Prediction Center one month forecast indicates a normal chance of precipitation.

Details at: http://www.universetoday.com/111474/...es-on-the-sky/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Seems like every time these neat events happen its cloudy where I'm at....last great thing I was able to do is to image Mars when it got "close"....took about 1000pics and ran them through my stacker program ... looked awesome...a few years ago

Where those pics are now? I'd have to hound them down. Now my setup includes video capability as well ... I'm a sucker, I'll try again with my 8" LX200.

Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Nope, just checked it. Works fine for me. Again.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 04-30-2014 at 11:30 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Nope, just checked it. Works fine for me. Perhaps you used a mobile device incapable of displaying the page?
    Not a mobile device

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shower.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	11544
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)