• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long Beach Police department shoot and kill unarmed man

Jeff. State

Banned
Man allegedly carrying wooden stick fatally shot by Long Beach police

Law enforcement officials say a man who was shot and killed Sunday afternoon by Long Beach police pulled out a pair of scissors during a clash at a Target store in Compton before leading Sheriff's deputies on a chase into Long Beach, where he got out of his vehicle with a large wooden stick in hand.
Security officers first tried to detain the man at the Target on South Alameda Street for “a crime allegedly committed at the store,” the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said late Sunday.
When deputies arrived to help security officers locked in a struggle with the man, he pulled out a large pair of scissors, according to a department statement. Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Crystal Hernandez said no deputies were injured in the incident.
The man then fled to his vehicle and led deputies on a chase. The Sheriff’s Department pursued him into Long Beach, where Long Beach police joined in the pursuit at about 3:15 p.m., said Long Beach Police spokeswoman Sgt. Megan Zabel.
The Sheriff’s Department said that the man came to a stop on the 1800 block of East Ocean Boulevard and refused commands to exit his vehicle. About 15 minutes later, he got out of the vehicle with a large wooden stick and again refused to follow commands, the department stated.
The department said it attempted to stop the man by firing a stun bag but it had no effect and the man ran away from deputies.
Long Beach police then encountered the man and shot him. He died after being taken to a nearby hospital. Zabel said she could not comment on what prompted police to fire on the suspect.
"The officers are still being interviewed and all the evidence is being collected," Zabel said.
Long Beach police personnel will investigate the shooting, according to the Sheriff's Department. The alleged crimes of the victim are under investigation by the Compton Sheriff’s Station, and Sheriff’s homicide detectives will investigate the use of force by deputies

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...-stick-20140427,0,2358076.story#ixzz30ITgEweE

Long Beach Police department shoot and kill unarmed man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy7VZ6IiInI

onus

If you go back 30 years and read all the police reports and media stories about police shootings they all say the same things. Even today they say the same things. But now we have video and we see how full of sh*t the police are .

Jeff. State

Banned
Good question. Video and audio is a start.

I'll guarantee that not a single officer who shot this man in the back as he ran down the stairs will lose their job or face any kind of charges. It is how the system works.

"Stay safe"

Primus

Most police murders are captured on video and it doesn't make much difference.

Lots of police beatings are captured on video and it doesn't make much difference.

When your enemy is waging a violent war on you the best thing to do is defend yourself.......eye for an eye.

And out of the officers who are fired would you say more are caught on audio/video? And would you say the audio/video has a part in the said reprimand, firing, charges, etc.?

Of finally, if audio video is so useless and the answer is "eye for an eye" why do you just run around videotaping instead of interfering?

This a do what I say not what u do moment?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

davidmcbeth

Banned
If you go back 30 years and read all the police reports and media stories about police shootings they all say the same things. Even today they say the same things. But now we have video and we see how full of sh*t the police are .

Quit defending them already ! :uhoh:

onus

The police would like me to interfere so they can lock me in a cage.

My videos educate the public everyday about rampant police corruption.

My videos are influencing the future generations so that in a few years these people will sit on juries.

I will correct myself a little....audio/video of police misconduct IS IN FACT having a positive effect on getting guilty officers punished, just not nearly as much as it should.

America still has a lot of cop worship and DA's in America are still basically corrupt cops in suits so prosecutions are rare.

Things are changing though.

I would like though to see people shoot back at police and DA's either not charge them or juries not convict them.

Last edited:

Primus

The police would like me to interfere so they can lock me in a cage.

My videos educate the public everyday about rampant police corruption.

My videos are influencing the future generations so that in a few years these people will sit on juries.

I will correct myself a little....audio/video of police misconduct IS IN FACT having a positive effect on getting guilty officers punished, just not nearly as much as it should.

America still has a lot of cop worship and DA's in America are still basically corrupt cops in suits so prosecutions are rare.

Things are changing though.

I would like though to see people shoot back at police and DA's either not charge them or juries not convict them.

Ok.... so like i said...... audio and visual recordings.

"The police would like me to interfere so they can lock me in a cage"

So your not willing to interfere yourself due to fear of being arrested? Makes sense.

"I would like to see people shoot back at police and DA's either not charge them or juries not convict them."

Hmmm...... too afraid to interfere because you might get locked up for a night, but want to see others shoot at police and potentially be locked up for a long time or killed......

Sounds like true heroism to me. Wanting others to take the risk while your safe behind a camera because afraid of being arrested.

Primus

You sound like a cop. But then again I don't even think you are a cop. Lets see how brave you are....tell us what department you work for.

Afraid to identify yourself ? I bet you are one of those cops who demands people give them their name, home address and date of birth everyday. And you threaten them with arrest if they don't.

If you were a real cop and you were an honest law abiding person you would have the guts to tell us what department you work for.

I know you wont identify yourself though, you are a cop and cops are just cowards. In this case, you are a coward behind a keyboard.

Hmmm.... I guess I struck a nerve....

Ironic the guy who is scared to get arrested but advocates for others to shoot other people calls others cowards.... I understand.

Glad we cleared that up :)

Primus

Despite the actions of the man running with scissors there is absolutly NO reason for the police to shoot him in the back.
I will wait for you to provide your analysis of the situation.
Sooner or later people will start to shoot back, how do you feel about that? (serious question)

If these guys are abdicated by internal investigation it will only serve to reinforce this type of gang activity. We will just have to wait and see.

The internet is full of this stuff, when does it stop?
[video=youtube;1V9FV3G3noE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V9FV3G3noE[/video]

~Whitney

I don't know the situation because in wasn't there. Based on what's reported its probably not a good shoot. Depends on many factors but so far I'd have to say no good on the shoot.

I've said it many times about "shooting back" but I'll clarify since you have directly asked nicely and seemingly sincerely.

If there was NO doubt that a cop.was beating/shooting/ ANYTHING to someone so severely that they were going to kill them/sever bodily harm and if that person shot back then so be it. I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Anything less then that is a no go. For example.... say this case. Say the cop shoots a guy running away in the back. What do you do? Do you shoot the cop? Ok. But what if the guy he shot just murdered 15 kids and was going to murder 15 more. Say the cops were aware he just killed people and posed a threat and shot him, which would be perfectly legal. Well then you just shot a cop who was legate doing his job.

Also, ok the cop shoots the guy. Then holsters his firearm and calls for an ambulance. Do you then shoot the cop because he shot someone? Even if you KNEW the shooting was bad? Bad idea. Better idea is come.forward as a witness.

Better yet. Cop shoots guy. You shoot cop. Now other cops show up. What do you do? Shoot them? Holster your firearm? Ok your getting arrested (kidnapped). Which means they are taking your gun. Do you redraw and shoot everyone again since taking your gun violates your 2a? Ok somehow magically you shoot or don't shoot several officers and survive and go to court. Now you fave several charges and spend several thousands in money and probably several days/weeks/months in jail. Or...... you could just not kill anyone and be a witness against any/all officers.

Do you see how these "scenarios" NEVER work.

Again.... if YOU are directly being beaten to death and you resisted I wouldn't have problem. Not guilty is my verdict.

Whitney

Excuses or Deficencies ??

I don't know the situation because in wasn't there. Based on what's reported its probably not a good shoot. Depends on many factors but so far I'd have to say no good on the shoot.

I've said it many times about "shooting back" but I'll clarify since you have directly asked nicely and seemingly sincerely.

If there was NO doubt that a cop.was beating/shooting/ ANYTHING to someone so severely that they were going to kill them/sever bodily harm and if that person shot back then so be it. I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Anything less then that is a no go. For example.... say this case. Say the cop shoots a guy running away in the back. What do you do? Do you shoot the cop? Ok. But what if the guy he shot just murdered 15 kids and was going to murder 15 more. Say the cops were aware he just killed people and posed a threat and shot him, which would be perfectly legal. Well then you just shot a cop who was legate doing his job.

Also, ok the cop shoots the guy. Then holsters his firearm and calls for an ambulance. Do you then shoot the cop because he shot someone? Even if you KNEW the shooting was bad? Bad idea. Better idea is come.forward as a witness.

Better yet. Cop shoots guy. You shoot cop. Now other cops show up. What do you do? Shoot them? Holster your firearm? Ok your getting arrested (kidnapped). Which means they are taking your gun. Do you redraw and shoot everyone again since taking your gun violates your 2a? Ok somehow magically you shoot or don't shoot several officers and survive and go to court. Now you fave several charges and spend several thousands in money and probably several days/weeks/months in jail. Or...... you could just not kill anyone and be a witness against any/all officers.

Do you see how these "scenarios" NEVER work.

Again.... if YOU are directly being beaten to death and you resisted I wouldn't have problem. Not guilty is my verdict.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I do see how these scenarios you describe never work and absolutely understand your rationale. I don't neccesarily agree with it.
It seems there are several witnesses to this event and it is only one of many like it. Often times they are explained away as mistakes (oops my bad) or some other "oversight". I am weary of hearing excuses for "other peoples deficiencies". I also acknowledge perception is not truth; it is often a protected lie.

I appreciate your candid forthwright answers.

~Whitney

onus

Hmmm.... I guess I struck a nerve....

Ironic the guy who is scared to get arrested but advocates for others to shoot other people calls others cowards.... I understand.

Glad we cleared that up :)

Yup, we established that you wont give your name or department that you work for.

And yes, I am scared to be kidnapped by strangers.

Jeff. State

Banned
I'd like to ask why this was moved? It happened with the dog story out of Texas as well.

Forum: California

Open carry stories from California

I posted it in the "Social Lounge" where "off topic" discussions occur, if I posted it here from the beginning, my guess is it would be deleted as it is not DIRECTLY associated with OC in California?

IMO some of these threads are being moved simply to get them off of the more heavily viewed areas.............

Jeff. State

Banned
Primus, you bring up your hypotheticals just as the SOP for LEO's states, as well as with "I wasn't there".

This isn't an "attack", this is stating a fact, when cops consistently fail to "police" their own, "Justice" is dead. The man in this situation was shot in the back unarmed PERIOD. MURDER at the most, Manslaughter at the least.

I don't hate cops, I hate the increasingly CORRUPTED entities they enFORCE for. Also "Rule #1" is accounting for more and more innocent citizens deaths and physical assaults/BEATINGS. "Rule #1" is also responsible for the massive encroachment on Citizens civil liberties/Constitutional Rights.

If it is so dangerous out there and so many LEOS are so scared for their safety, DONT DO THE JOB if you have to kill, maim and trample the Constitution in order to "go home at the end of your shift".