• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long Beach Police department shoot and kill unarmed man

OC for ME

Never shoot at a cop. That likely results in the citizen being shot. Research the laws of your state on the justifiable use of force. I'll state that all a cop has to do is articulate that he was in the process of arresting you and you will loose every time.

LE don't give a rip about a citizen's right to defend themselves if the citizen claims they were defending themselves from a cop. Even if the citizen had ironclad justification, proved on the spot. LE will instinctively side with the cop regardless of the obvious misdeed of a cop, happens almost all of the time. The citizen has no advocate until they get in front of a judge. LE investigates themselves and that is a conflict of interest.

You want these outrageous situations, as rare as they really are, to stop? Remove QI and have a cop defend himself in a courtroom just as a citizen must do.

No QI, better LE.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
IMO:

Shooting at the police is a very bad idea.

We have given the authority to the police. They are abusing it. We must take the authority away from those that abuse it. Those in authority that don't abuse that authority, but also do nothing to remove those that do abuse their authority do not have enough personal integrity to have the authority we've given them, and must be removed as well. (If that last sentence is too convoluted please let me know.) :)

We must be squeaky clean in all our dealings with the police. Video and audio recordings of all interactions are imperative. Those that would change the system must act from unimpeachable personal integrity. Or at least a reasonable facsimile . . .

OC for ME

IMO:

We have given the authority to the police. They are abusing it. We must take the authority away from those that abuse it. Those in authority that don't abuse that authority, but also do nothing to remove those that do abuse their authority do not have enough personal integrity to have the authority we've given them, and must be removed as well. (If that last sentence is too convoluted please let me know.) :)

We must be squeaky clean in all our dealings with the police. Video and audio recordings of all interactions are imperative. Those that would change the system must act from unimpeachable personal integrity. Or at least a reasonable facsimile . . .
+1

The dead gain no redress.

Primus

IMO:

+1

The dead gain no redress.

Very well said. +1

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I agree with OC for ME.

People do shoot at cops (not with quite the frequency that cops would have you believe, but still). Granted, maybe those people tend to be too brown for onus's taste, and it's clear that society is generally willing to accept the inevitable police contention that any such individual is a worthless career criminal anyway...

I fail to see how a few more, or differently-situated (after all, we're all scrotes anyway), people shooting at cops is going to change anything.

We need to change the law so as to render impracticable training which encourages a shoot-first, militaristic, at-war-with-society approach to "law enforcement".

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

IMO:

I can't find no constitutional authority for police? What authority they do have is limited and not a broad brush. E.G. I feel they have no authority over me unless I broke a law.

Not meaning to be contentious just adding my two cents for conversation.