• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DESPP out of control - cases ordering them to comply with the FOI Act-4 reference

davidmcbeth

Banned
DESPP is out of control with FOIA requests...simply not answering any with records. I asked for records relating to the stealing of Jonathan Hall's guns in March and they just came back asking me for his birthday & SS # before they could process the request. I even gave them a newspaper article to more narrowly define the subject matter.

I am filing a complaint with the states attorney's office for Middlesex. I called them and they seemed interested.

Anyway, if any has a case pending I'll attach a short list of cases where the FOIC specifically order DESPP to comply with the FOI Act .... its apparent they do not care...attaching the list of cases for others to use when seeking civil or criminal penalties under the FOIA Act.

I'm sick if these yahoos over there. I have several requests just sitting there, doing nothing.

Want to compare? I asked the Seattle (west coast Seattle, Wash.) for records ... 5 days later I got them. And they do 4000 requests a year. WTF is wrong with these idiots here?

If the SA won't move on criminal charges then DESPP may have a complaint filed against them at the claims commission. That would make 2 - my last one I got a default judgment against them...over what? A FOIC case.

PeaceBeWithYourSoul

What is wrong with them??!

Well duh, the only logical, rational, reasonable, explanation using critical thinking is: They (the CSP, DESPP, CT state government) have something to hide.

Philosoraptor question: If the FOIA is a law, and the law states the government agencies must comply with valid FOI requests.......and the government agencies refuse to provide the information.....isn't that against the law? Also known as illegal? Also known as a crime?

Is it not the job of Law Enforcement Officers to enforce the law? That is, make arrests when the law has been broken, to thereby enforce the law?

Are there any Law Enforcement Officers who will investigate and enforce the law in this matter? :shocker:

Superlite27

The problem is they're only required to meet "reasonable" expectations.

"Reasonable" being vague enough to hold any subjective meaning they deem to grant it.

When pressed to explain why they aren't meeting the reasonable requirements...

The Requestor probably didn't phrase the request right...

...but, if it can be shown he did:

The request was probably too broad....

...but, if it can be shown to be specific:

The volume of requests probably has caused a delay......

....but, if it can be shown that there aren't a high number of open requests:

They probably have someone assigned to fulfill it who mistakenly forgot to notify the requestor of any findings.....

....but, if it can be found that all their excuses are complete B.S.:

They can probably concoct any number of additional excuses that would sound "reasonable" to any court.

(Which is exactly where a requestor would have to take it to receive redress.)

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well duh, the only logical, rational, reasonable, explanation using critical thinking is: They (the CSP, DESPP, CT state government) have something to hide.

Philosoraptor question: If the FOIA is a law, and the law states the government agencies must comply with valid FOI requests.......and the government agencies refuse to provide the information.....isn't that against the law? Also known as illegal? Also known as a crime?

Is it not the job of Law Enforcement Officers to enforce the law? That is, make arrests when the law has been broken, to thereby enforce the law?

Are there any Law Enforcement Officers who will investigate and enforce the law in this matter? :shocker:

Sec. 1-240. (Formerly Sec. 1-21k). Penalties. (a) Any person who wilfully, knowingly and with intent to do so, destroys, mutilates or otherwise disposes of any public record without the approval required under section 1-18 or unless pursuant to chapter 47 or 87l, or who alters any public record, shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor and each such occurrence shall constitute a separate offense.

(b) Any member of any public agency who fails to comply with an order of the Freedom of Information Commission shall be guilty of a class B misdemeanor and each occurrence of failure to comply with such order shall constitute a separate offense. (P.A. 75-342, §16; P.A. 79-631, §24; P.A. 82-188, §2.)

I think that their delays are now criminal in nature....they have been ordered and ordered and ordered to comply with the Act and they still refuse.

Superlite27

The problem seems to be the lack of a specified time frame.

I'm sure they're continuously "in the process".

The law says they must comply.

It doesn't specify how long the act of complying can take.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The problem seems to be the lack of a specified time frame.

I'm sure they're continuously "in the process".

The law says they must comply.

It doesn't specify how long the act of complying can take.

Did you read the decisions of the cases that were noted? There IS a time frame that they ignore and are found to ignore.