Thread: Is there a definition for private schools as it pertains to 9.41.280 in the RCWs?

Is there a definition for private schools as it pertains to 9.41.280 in the RCWs?

I ask because my 3 year old son receives treatment for autism at a facility that is very ill defined in terms of what they are, and I want to know if I need to lock up my pistol in the car when I go in there for conferences or to pickup/dropoff.

Kinda seems like one could make an argument that they are a private school, but they really are almost more of a therapy/daycare.

Obviously I want to abide by the law. For now I'm locking it up since it seems too close to a private school to me, but I was wondering if anyone knew.

I found these

(39) "Private school" means a school regulated under chapter 28A.195 or 28A.205 RCW.

(40) "Public school" has the same meaning as in RCW 28A.150.010.

at RCW 9.94A.030 Definitions.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    It might help if you told us the name of the location in question.
    It is a FEAT WA facility. Families for effective autism treatment.

Well, their website was certainly no help :-). If they are a licensed daycare facility, they must prohibit firearms on the premises as a condition of their license but they are not required to post signs.
    they must not allow it per their rules, but he can't get arrested and charged with a felony for violating a DC's rules, a skrool is a class C felony prohibited by law... clearly this is an important distinction...
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

It depends also upon whether or not thewise1 has a WA CPL or not. If the OP has a CPL, then they are completely exempt from the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act. Violation of RCW 9.41.280 is only a misdemeanor - and then only if they are not under one of the specific exemptions in 9.41.280.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280
    hmm, I guess you're right, I had thought it was a Class C for .280.

my mistake.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member