Thread: Daily Show Ken Cuccinelli & Self Defense Insurance

Campaign Veteran

Thumbs down Daily Show Ken Cuccinelli & Self Defense Insurance

The Daily Shows spoofs on Cuccinelli's Virginia Self Defense Law Insurance and others...

Tagline for the video is: "Jordan Klepper investigates a low-cost legal defense program intended to make shooting people more affordable for Americans. "

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/bt...ers-everywhere

Daily Press has an article at:
    http://www.dailypress.com/news/polit...0,6260431.post

[Mods: This might fit better in GD, but since the video focuses on the Cucch I posted here.]
    "Rule 1: All Guns Are Always Loaded" - Jeff Cooper
    On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs - by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

I don't have the snappy sound-bite off the top of my head just yet, but of course the REAL purpose for such services is to prevent the criminal from both killing or gravely injuring you and/or your loved ones, AND also prevent them from taking your freedom and ruining you financially after the fact just for spite.

TFred

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I don't have the snappy sound-bite off the top of my head just yet, but of course the REAL purpose for such services is to prevent the criminal from both killing or gravely injuring you and/or your loved ones, AND also prevent them from taking your freedom and ruining you financially after the fact just for spite.

TFred
    And to make you buy insurance to own and possess a gun ....

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    And to make you buy insurance to own and possess a gun ....
    No, I don't see any ill-motive in the business. They certainly did not have any intent to require you to purchase their services before you buy and possess a gun. We may or may not like the proprietors or their business model, but it is a good service they provide, needed because of certain anti-gun / anti-self-defense factions that you may or may not encounter within the legal system, should you one day be forced to defend yourself.

TFred

Banned
    No, I don't see any ill-motive in the business. They certainly did not have any intent to require you to purchase their services before you buy and possess a gun. We may or may not like the proprietors or their business model, but it is a good service they provide, needed because of certain anti-gun / anti-self-defense factions that you may or may not encounter within the legal system, should you one day be forced to defend yourself.

TFred
    I think you need to investigate this issue further ... the idea of requiring insurance for gun owners actually comes from Japan ... and the antis have been banging the drums for this as it adds a huge cost to gun ownership.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I think you need to investigate this issue further ... the idea of requiring insurance for gun owners actually comes from Japan ... and the antis have been banging the drums for this as it adds a huge cost to gun ownership.
    Mandatory insurance for gun owners is another nail in the antis crucifixion kit.

Don't see it gaining any real traction - don't think it will happen. Still we must remain vigilant.

Back when dirt was still young, I had a million dollar liability policy that would protect me to the degree that the Homestead Exemption Act would have otherwise accomplished.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    [ ... ] the Homestead Exemption Act would have otherwise accomplished.
    Which Act is this, please?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Which Act is this, please?
    In Virginia where I reside and the focus of this thread.
    http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...exemption.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    In Virginia where I reside and the focus of this thread. http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...exemption.html
    Thanks.

http://legsearch.state.va.us/search?...ps=1&site=VAGA
    Your search - "homestead exemption act" - did not match any documents.
    No pages were found containing ""homestead exemption act"".
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Code of Virginia Title 34. Specifically, Chapter 2, Sections 34-4 through 34-25 deal with the homestead exemptions

http://law.onecle.com/virginia/homes...tions/ch2.html

It really is impossible to carry on a cogent conversation with you. I'm done here.

TFred

I have noticed that the entity involved has stopped using my name and has stopped saying they're the first defense oriented firm in the Commonwealth, for which I commend them. I still think there are problems with their approach, which I believe was originated by Dennis F. - he discussed his idea with me a couple of years ago, and I told him I couldn't go in on it because it would be both illegal and unethical to do so. I believe he discussed it with the subject individuals as well after I said "no", and they apparently took the ball and ran with it. I'm of the opinion that it can't possibly work as advertised. It could well be profitable if one has millions of subscribers and only has to actually defend a few, particularly if one plans to do plea-bargains instead of trials, but the practice of law is supposed to be a profession, not a business model. When you're defending other people's lives and property, I think that you have to take that responsibility seriously.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Banned
    It really is impossible to carry on a cogent conversation with you. I'm done here.

TFred
    Just because you have not fully investigated this issue as I have don't blame me for your ignorance. I suggested you learn more about it but no, you just bang your head like a child.

I say NO to liability for gun owners insurance...

Its the devil in disguise. One available, it will be made mandatory. For the children.

TFred
    LOL There never has been one with it. (At least not that I have seen on this board)

I don't even bother to reply to it anymore.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    LOL There never has been one with it. (At least not that I have seen on this board)

I don't even bother to reply to it anymore.
    It really doesn't Taz. Have you noticed he's getting more wild eyed like Leo229?

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    It really doesn't Taz. Have you noticed he's getting more wild eyed like Leo229?
    Exactly! ;>)

Wow, free advertising

Oh look, free advertising ... courtesy(?) Ryan Nobles:

Cuccinelli's new gun rights firm promises protection; draws criticism

Ken actually comments on the Henrico brandishing case ...

" ... and his conviction was upheld on appeal."

So, Ken appears to be presenting himself as some kind of Knight in Shining Armor -- on a retainer. After all, gun owners are exposed to a "legal risk" that is "accelerating" and gun owners could benefit from his brand of insurance.

No comments on what he did in the GMU case. All is forgiven?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post

So, Ken appears to be presenting himself as some kind of Knight in Shining Armor -- on a retainer. After all, gun owners are exposed to a "legal risk" that is "accelerating" and gun owners could benefit from his brand of insurance.

I'm pretty annoyed with Ken. User is indeed a knight in shining armor even if it is camoed a little .....and they try to siphon the good will he's built up.

Also no comment on exactly what he did in the Henrico Scouser brandishing case (exactly nothing). Oh, and btw, Scouser paid very little in attorneys' fees if I recall correctly, though lots of folks took up a collection to help out with that; and the case is still on appeal.
    Last edited by user; 05-09-2014 at 10:02 AM.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Also no comment on exactly what he did in the Henrico Scouser brandishing case (exactly nothing). Oh, and btw, Scouser paid very little in attorneys' fees if I recall correctly, though lots of folks took up a collection to help out with that; and the case is still on appeal.
    That specific issue has come up in conversation.

Would you (User) accept him as co-counsel on one of your cases?

Notice we are not even discussing if he would accept you as co-counsel, as his "retainer agreement" clearly says it is for exclusive representation.

For the record, I am disappointed in the outcome of the GMU case, but not with what Cuccinelli did as Attorney General. In his official capacity he determined that the GMU rule was valid and constitutional, and thus that he had a duty to defend it. To the best of his ability. Against a pro se plaintiff who was repeatedly counseled and warned that the argument he framed was not the "most elegant" way of addressing the issue. He could have determined otherwise, but he did not.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

... and the case is still on appeal.
    That is correct, and that is what is so misleading by NBC12. Nobles gives the impression that the appeal was upheld by an appellate court; no mention of circuit court.

...the practice of law is supposed to be a profession, not a business model. When you're defending other people's lives and property, I think that you have to take that responsibility seriously.
    I agree.

Of course, one wonders exactly how professional litigators fit into that picture at all...

(Disclaimer: I do tend to favor a reduction in the perceived necessity for lawyers and the baggage – and expense – they carry with them. That being said, in the real world today I think defense attorneys are about the least offensive – sometimes even heroic – aspect of our criminal justice system.)
    Last edited by marshaul; 05-09-2014 at 03:51 PM.

That is correct, and that is what is so misleading by NBC12. Nobles gives the impression that the appeal was upheld by an appellate court; no mention of circuit court.
    well that's the thing with NBC12 News, they don't research anything. I've had to contact them and correct them about several things in the past (not necessarily firearm related) and all their "reporters" have done is cry and ask me to "stop picking on them"

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    well that's the thing with NBC12 News, they don't research anything. I've had to contact them and correct them about several things in the past (not necessarily firearm related) and all their "reporters" have done is cry and ask me to "stop picking on them"
    Oh good grief.

If NBC12 want a good example of being 'picked on' I would suggest Sharyl Attkisson; at least she landed on her feet here.