• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Know The Enemy of Liberty: the National Rifle Association

darrenlobo

(12) NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS: Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

"I have never believed in the general practice of carrying weapons. I seldom carry one. ... I do not believe in the general promiscuous toting of guns. I think it should be sharply restricted and only under licenses" --NRA President Karl T. Frederick, 1934 http://www.keepandbeararms.com/nra/nfa.asp

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
(12) NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS: Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Thank goodness that it's an indisputable fact that the NRA is the concealed carry permit training industry lobby, rather than a gun "rights" organization.

I'll take that assessment with me out the door if the moderators require.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

"I have never believed in the general practice of carrying weapons. I seldom carry one. ... I do not believe in the general promiscuous toting of guns. I think it should be sharply restricted and only under licenses" --NRA President Karl T. Frederick, 1934 http://www.keepandbeararms.com/nra/nfa.asp

I'm glad you're still stuck 80 years in the past. I guess if words spoken when people rarely had indoor toilets for chrissakes offend you that much that you're blinded to the effective work the modern NRA, you know, in the year 2014 (maybe you're using the wrong calender, if your calender says "1934" it's a little out of date) then you're part of the problem in why new gun laws get passed.

EMNofSeattle

I love the misattribution too.....

also the context of Fredericks testimony was altered in the earlier post... another segment of Fredericks testimony...

Mr. KNUTSON. Is it your thought to submit a substitute measure for H.R. 9066 and at the same time not infringe unnecessarily on the rights of law-abiding citizens?

Mr. FREDERICK. As I say, I have grave doubts as to the effectiveness of any such legislation.

Mr. HILL. You concede there is a necessity for something. In politics we have an old saying that you cannot beat somebody with nobody. You cannot hope to defeat or materially alter the legislation unless you submit to the committee something that is better or that will better attain the object that this legislation seeks to accomplish.

Mr. FREDERICK. I must differ with you in principle upon one point. I do not believe that Congress or the people back home want us to attempt miracles. In my opinion, based upon a rather extensive experience with this subject and study of it, very little of practical value can be accomplished by Federal legislation on the point.

Mr. HILL. I take it then that it is your opinion that the criminal is going to get firearms regardless of any laws.

Mr. FREDERICK. I think that is the opinion of any person who has knowledge of the subject. In most instances, the guns are stolen. They are not gotten through legitimate channels. Dillinger stole his guns. I have a half-dozen cases where guns have been used in prisons to effect a break; we have had that in New York, and all over the country. If you cannot keep guns out of the hands of criminals in jails, I do not see how you can keep them out of the hands of criminals walking about on the public highways.

The CHAIRMAN. If that be true, then the laws of the various States of the Union dealing with the subject, are not accomplishing a good purpose because they do not put them all out of business?

Mr. FREDERICK. I do not take that view of it at all. I believe in regulatory methods. I think that makes it desirable that any such regulations imposed should not impose undue hardships on the law-abiding citizens and that they should not obstruct him in the right of self-defense, but that they should be directed exclusively, so far as possible, to suppressing the criminal use, or punishing the criminal use of weapons.

The CHAIRMAN. You spoke of your experience, which we realize is valuable and extensive, in dealing with this matter. This bill contemplates the suppression of crime and the protection of law-abiding citizens. Do you consider that your experience and your knowledge of this subject is superior to that of the Department of Justice? Do you consider that your experience puts you in a better position to say what is necessary to accomplish the suppression of crime than the Department of Justice?

Mr. FREDERICK. I hesitate to set myself up in any comparative sense, because I recognize the prestige of the Department of Justice.

The CHAIRMAN. You recognize also their experience in dealing with this subject?

Mr. FREDERICK. Their experience, I think, has been comparatively recent. I think I may truthfully say this, and I think Mr. Keenan would agree with me, that I have given much more study to the problem of firearms regulations, extending over a longer period of time and going into far greater detail, than any man or all of the men in the Department of Justice.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Tread lightly gentlemen, if you please.

While I agree that the NRA has done very little that might be commensurate with promoting and/or defending open carry, general broad sides against that organization won't be well received here.

I've heard the argument that they want to keep their near perfect exclusive on CC instructors well lubricated with students bearing money. Yet all of the instructors I personally know include OC in their classes. Many NRA members locally OC regularly. It is at the top executive/management level where the redirection is likely most needed.

Has the NRA gone far beyond their original mandate? Without doubt and like any large corporation they try to expand their footprint. Along the way they have done some good things and some that were at the opposite end of the spectrum.

On a positive note: the NRA does keep the antis busy and contributes mightily to some severe heartburn amongst that dinner crowd :)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

While I agree that the NRA has done very little that might be commensurate with promoting and/or defending open carry, general broad sides against that organization won't be well received here.

I've heard the argument that they want to keep their near perfect exclusive on CC instructors well lubricated with students bearing money. Yet all of the instructors I personally know include OC in their classes. Many NRA members locally OC regularly. It is at the top executive/management level where the redirection is likely most needed.

Has the NRA gone far beyond their original mandate? Without doubt and like any large corporation they try to expand their footprint. Along the way they have done some good things and some that were at the opposite end of the spectrum.

On a positive note: the NRA does keep the antis busy and contributes mightily to some severe heartburn amongst that dinner crowd :)

I agree that individual NRA instructors may be pro-OC, and excellent instructors, and otherwise good people.

But the legislative history is clear. The NRA has amply and consistently demonstrated a preference for P4P, even when it comes at harm to the constitutional/OC cause. This isn't a surprise, as permit training is big bucks, and the NRA has a monopoly on the industry in most states.

sudden valley gunner

I don't like them because of their support of anti liberty legislation. Like the one a few years ago that they backed because they got an exemption in it.

OC for ME

NRA.....hmmm.....if they are, as they tout themselves to be, pro-2A then they must be pro-2A. There is no distinction between OC and CC in the 2A. Apparently, to me anyway, they hold such a distinction as evident.

Side note. The NRA ain't done jack to restore liberty in Missouri, in fact their best efforts here has been to remain silent in some instances regarding the eradication of the OC exemption contained within RSMo 21.750.3

The NRA.....hmmm.....

Saxxon

I can tell you that if the current leadership of the NRA spoke as Mr. Frederick spoke I'd be howling for his resignation. As it is, his name should be removed from the wall of honorable defenders of the Bill of Rights for the statements there.

I am a life member, and what he represent(ed) is not what i joined for. Notably the organizations tone was quite different in 1994 when I joined. Much of our current problems can be traced to his selling out back then it seems.

OC for ME

Re-citing facts is not bashing.....is it?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Re-citing facts is not bashing.....is it?
Most assuredly can be - especially when the volume exceeds the perceived level of complaint.

In the case of the NRA, we might be better to pump the stagnant/foul water rather than chop a hole in the bottom of the boat to drain it.

OC for ME

Most assuredly can be - especially when the volume exceeds the perceived level of complaint.

In the case of the NRA, we might be better to pump the stagnant/foul water rather than chop a hole in the bottom of the boat to drain it.
I have been duly notified. NRA is off limits.....