Thread: Second Amendment Rally Article

Second Amendment Rally Article

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/in...ry_advoca.html

"Guest column: Open carry advocates at gun rally should demonstrate best practices for firearms safety"

Alright and everything muzzle down on pavement, should there be a discharge, could cause a ricochet and hurt someone. If we need it always pointed in a 100% safe direction I don't know that we could carry anywhere other than a beach muzzle down.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    yeah, there really is no 100% guarantee of safety. in crowds i prefer to carry muzzle down and gun in front of me so i can see and maintain positive control of it 100% of the time. other people there did have some pretty sloppy methods of carry though.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    yeah, there really is no 100% guarantee of safety. in crowds i prefer to carry muzzle down and gun in front of me so i can see and maintain positive control of it 100% of the time. other people there did have some pretty sloppy methods of carry though.
    Someone posted a long reply as to how muzzle up is the preferred way to carry a rifle, Even after having the MSP ask that they be pointed down unless the person was in the capital and then the MSP asked that muzzles be pointed up.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    Alright and everything muzzle down on pavement, should there be a discharge, could cause a ricochet and hurt someone. If we need it always pointed in a 100% safe direction I don't know that we could carry anywhere other than a beach muzzle down.
    It IS scientifically proven that bullits shot straight up DO NOT REACH TERMINAL VELOCITY on their way down! FACT! So every bullit shot straight up from any firearm (muzzle up) CANNOT be fatal! FACT! CARRY ON!
    Last edited by hamaneggs; 05-02-2014 at 06:41 PM.
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    Like this?

Taken from last year's spring march. Yes, that was on TV

Image altered to protect identities but to demonstrate problem of urban LGOC by novice carriers esp muzzle up.
    Last edited by TheQ; 05-15-2014 at 12:43 AM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Well - wise of you to post it here for all our foes to have easy access to. Doh!
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 05-04-2014 at 03:36 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Well - wise of you to post it here for all our foes to have easy access to. Doh!
    I have seen that posted before. I think it is great posting a pic to shame the person into carrying in a better way than just reaching out to them and talking to them. I see them at many events and have talked with them, nice people.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    I see them at many events and have talked with them, nice people.
    If you have spoken to them, why do they still carry in an unsafe manner. I am not a very nice man when it comes to unsafe acts with weapons.

A few years ago we had a rally at our capitol in Olympia (WA). There was a portly gentleman with several long guns wrapped around him. He was constantly sweeping and they slipped off his shoulders quite a bit. Very sloppy, dangerous man.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Regardless of height anyone notice the gun is upside down? Looks like the front sight post is pointed down.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    If you have spoken to them, why do they still carry in an unsafe manner. I am not a very nice man when it comes to unsafe acts with weapons.

A few years ago we had a rally at our capitol in Olympia (WA). There was a portly gentleman with several long guns wrapped around him. He was constantly sweeping and they slipped off his shoulders quite a bit. Very sloppy, dangerous man.
    They don't carry like that anymore. At the recent event they carried like this: http://www.wzzm13.com/picture-galler...42914/8464667/
    Last edited by Venator; 05-05-2014 at 06:14 PM.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    They don't carry like that anymore. At the recent event they carried like this: http://www.wzzm13.com/picture-galler...42914/8464667/
    First, I would like to thank this Forum for all the great information that is here..

Last year was the first "Rally" we went to, we were in the march down Michigan Ave. to the rally.
    We spent all day mingling, and pictures being taken, And I will say NOBODY and I mean NOBODY came up to us to say ya know the proper way to carry is to point it down, it would of taken only 5 seconds to some one to be nice...
    nothing I say will change it....

The Q, thank you also.. By all means NEVER miss an opportunity to use us as a learning experience to criticize someone on the improper way to be seen in public you are absolutely right, it's the internet it will never go away..

Venator,Raggs,FreeinAz thanks for the kind words, what Raggs meant was that he has talked with us in general after that rally,not about that day that we were in error..

That was the first and last time for that blunder...nothing I say will change it, learn and move on..

We have been to many event's in the past year most recent, the NRA convention in Indianapolis,
    with MSNBC.COM posting our picture. The Romulus rally with our picture, the Lansing rally with our picture
    the Los Angeles Times with our picture.

We are humbled by our experience to promote OPEN CARRY .... thank you Chris and Marty

I talked to the guy briefly in Romulus. He was carrying correctly on that day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OCM4 RS.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	11591  

LGOC is just rife with problems, especially for novice carriers. My post was meant to demonstrate this. I thought we don't talk about LGOC on OCDO?
    Last edited by TheQ; 05-15-2014 at 12:19 AM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    I have seen that posted before. I think it is great posting a pic to shame the person into carrying in a better way than just reaching out to them and talking to them. I see them at many events and have talked with them, nice people.
    It wasn't so much to shame the people in the pic but rather to demonstrate the problems of LGOC, especially by novice carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggs
    It wasn't so much to shame the people in the pic but rather to demonstrate the problems of LGOC, especially by novice carriers.
    TheQ, your post was correct and appropriate. If someone has a pic or video of me violating any of the four laws of gun safety, post it for everyone else's education.

The 1st Law - The Gun Is Always Loaded.
    The 2nd Law - Never Point The Gun At Something You Are Not Prepared To Destroy.
    The 3rd Law - Always Be Sure Of Your Target And What Is Behind It.
    The 4th Law - Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until Your Sights Are On The Target.

Bolded for emphasis on what I am reminded of by TheQ's post. Particularly for LGOC'ers, such as myself on special occasions like the annual political event in Lansing, don't LGOC if you don't have the four laws down rock solid.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi