Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "My kids [sic] safety trumps your gun rights"

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar

"My kids [sic] safety trumps your gun rights"

I saw an article heading and an accompanying picture. I didn't bother to read the article. I'm not sure if it's true that reading dumb **** can actually make you dumber, but I don't want to chance it any more than I have to.

The picture is of a person holding up a sign. The sign reads, "My kids [sic] safety trumps your gun rights"

Does it though? Does it really? Show me any authoritative texts which support that assertion.

While you're at it, show me any authoritative texts which show that the exercise of my rights conflict with the safety of your children.

Thugs with jugs.
    Advocate freedom please

Banned
    So the kids want to carry too? That's great ..

Kids grow up moron, wan them to grow up in a dictatorship?

Police officer safety trumps ALL rights so if the person writing that has a child who is in law enforcement then its an accurate statement.

Quote Originally Posted by onus View Post
    Police officer safety trumps ALL rights so if the person writing that has a child who is in law enforcement then its an accurate statement.
    sorry but no ones safety trumps anybody's rights

but the question i would ask "how does my gun rights affect your child's safety?"
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Apparently they don't care enough about their children s safety to have armed adults around to protect them.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Apparently they don't care enough about their children s safety to have armed adults around to protect them.
    +1.

I was visiting my disabled mother last year, and took her for a walk on the trail in the park. We were on the part furthest from the cars, playground and most of the people.
    A woman and her two kids walked up behind us, and I could hear them whispering. The mom called for my attention, and explained that her daughters were curious as to why I was wearing a gun.
    I explained it was for self defense, and the mom candidly bleated, "oh, I think I would just wait for the police."

...umm, lady? You were on a trail that goes for at least two miles from help, in a park that is at least 10 if not 15 minutes from police response. WTF did she think was going to protect her and her kids while she waited 12-20 minutes for cops to arrive AND locate her?

Obviously.....well, maybe not obvious to some, our gun rights take a back seat to the rights of a property owner.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    +1.

I was visiting my disabled mother last year, and took her for a walk on the trail in the park. We were on the part furthest from the cars, playground and most of the people.
    A woman and her two kids walked up behind us, and I could hear them whispering. The mom called for my attention, and explained that her daughters were curious as to why I was wearing a gun.
    I explained it was for self defense, and the mom candidly bleated, "oh, I think I would just wait for the police."

...umm, lady? You were on a trail that goes for at least two miles from help, in a park that is at least 10 if not 15 minutes from police response. WTF did she think was going to protect her and her kids while she waited 12-20 minutes for cops to arrive AND locate her?

I thought you couldn't OC in South Carolina.

Regardless, your points are well taken and true. The mother is clueless.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Generally, you are correct. In this instance, I was visiting my Mom, who, thankfully, lives in an OC state.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    I saw an article heading and an accompanying picture. I didn't bother to read the article. I'm not sure if it's true that reading dumb **** can actually make you dumber, but I don't want to chance it any more than I have to.

The picture is of a person holding up a sign. The sign reads, "My kids [sic] safety trumps your gun rights"

Does it though? Does it really? Show me any authoritative texts which support that assertion.

While you're at it, show me any authoritative texts which show that the exercise of my rights conflict with the safety of your children.

Thugs with jugs.
    Too bad they have it wrong. Rights always trump safety. The right for me to travel is fraught with danger. I could be attacked, run over, or suffer from exposure.

I'm currently looking into US vs. Cruikshank. Lovely piece of interpretation of the 2A. Add that with the incorporation of the BoR to the states, that's enough to make any anti's head explode.

"My kids safety trumps your right to own a car."

"My kids safety trumps your right to build a swimming pool."

"My kids safety trumps your right to use buckets/plastic bags/powerful magnets/knives/baseball bats/fists/arms/etc"

"My kids safety trumps your right to live."

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Obviously.....well, maybe not obvious to some, our gun rights take a back seat to the rights of a property owner.
    Property owners and non -property owners have the same rights. all humans have the same rights
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    "My kids safety trumps your right to own a car."

"My kids safety trumps your right to build a swimming pool."

"My kids safety trumps your right to use buckets/plastic bags/powerful magnets/knives/baseball bats/fists/arms/etc"

"My kids safety trumps your right to live."
    you do realize that there were no rights in any of the examples you just gave?

- unknown

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    LOL

I don't have a right to own a car?

I don't have a right to build a swimming pool?

I don't have a right to live?

Constitutional enumeration has next to nothing to do with whether something is a right. The sphere of right extends to all such actions as do not violate the equivalent freedom of action of another, or, to paraphrase Jefferson, all actions which "neither pick my pocket nor break my bone."

Now, explain how even one of those things doesn't fit that definition.
    Last edited by marshaul; 05-02-2014 at 10:10 PM.

Never read the 9th?

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    LOL

I don't have a right to own a car?

I don't have a right to build a swimming pool?

I don't have a right to live?

Constitutional enumeration has next to nothing to do with whether something is a right. The sphere of right extends to all such actions as do not violate the equivalent freedom of action of another, or, to paraphrase Jefferson, all actions which "neither pick my pocket nor break my bone."

Now, explain how even one of those things doesn't fit that definition.
    i stand corrected on the right to life. of course, you have the right to life, till a court decides to take that from you

but you do not have the right to a car or a pool, or even a house. if you did it would be up to the government to give you one, even if you didn't want it. something like having to buy insurance

i could point out in you scenario, that you getting a car may take away someone else's car from them. also if it were a right you would get it for free (which i have always thought we should be issued a free gun)

- unknown

[ ... ] but you do not have the right to a car or a pool, or even a house. if you did it would be up to the government to give you one, even if you didn't want it. [ ... ]
    -1 another statist speaks above. Learn to live without interference from the state.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Never read the 9th?
    yes and that is one of the dilemmas that the founders had.

that is where ROE vs. WADE came from. it does generally fall to the states through the 10th.

but by all means you still have to have the rights enumerated, or say ruled on. if you didn't people could demand all kinds of rights. like demanding we have health care or a minimum wage

of course that is one thing we have had a good record on in this nation. anything that is man made, is left to the markets, and anything that the creator makes is what we have rights for

- unknown

i stand corrected on the right to life. of course, you have the right to life, till a court decides to take that from you

but you do not have the right to a car or a pool, or even a house. if you did it would be up to the government to give you one, even if you didn't want it. something like having to buy insurance

i could point out in you scenario, that you getting a car may take away someone else's car from them. also if it were a right you would get it for free (which i have always thought we should be issued a free gun)
    Seriously?

Wtf...

yes and that is one of the dilemmas that the founders had.

that is where ROE vs. WADE came from. it does generally fall to the states through the 10th.

but by all means you still have to have the rights enumerated, or say ruled on. if you didn't people could demand all kinds of rights. like demanding we have health care or a minimum wage

of course that is one thing we have had a good record on in this nation. anything that is man made, is left to the markets, and anything that the creator makes is what we have rights for
    No I don't need them ruled on. Rights preexist the state and do not rely on the states approval.

You have the right to health care and to insist you will only work for a minimum wage, you don't have the "right" to demand them from someone else.

Are we not part of nature why would we not have the rights to what we create?

We have a right to life, liberty, and property. Health care is not property. Health insurance is not property. A minimum wage is not property. The remunerations received from our labors in service to another is our property. We do not have a right to purchase a house, car, or any other "good", but once purchased it is our property.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

trumps
    They misspelled 'depends on'...

We have a right to life, liberty, and property. Health care is not property. Health insurance is not property. A minimum wage is not property. The remunerations received from our labors in service to another is our property. We do not have a right to purchase a house, car, or any other "good", but once purchased it is our property.
    Well... We have the right of free association, by which is implied a right to enter into contracts. A right to enter into contracts certainly implies a right to be free to purchase services and goods.

Obviously that negative right doesn't imply a positive "right" to force somebody to provide you with those goods and services.
    Last edited by marshaul; 05-03-2014 at 10:59 AM.

Our gun rights don't take a back seat, it's that our rights end where someone else's begin.

Banned
    Or "my kids safety trumps your kids safety"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast