• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"My kids [sic] safety trumps your gun rights"

stealthyeliminator

I saw an article heading and an accompanying picture. I didn't bother to read the article. I'm not sure if it's true that reading dumb **** can actually make you dumber, but I don't want to chance it any more than I have to.

The picture is of a person holding up a sign. The sign reads, "My kids [sic] safety trumps your gun rights"

Does it though? Does it really? Show me any authoritative texts which support that assertion.

While you're at it, show me any authoritative texts which show that the exercise of my rights conflict with the safety of your children.

Thugs with jugs.

onus

Police officer safety trumps ALL rights so if the person writing that has a child who is in law enforcement then its an accurate statement.

papa bear

Police officer safety trumps ALL rights so if the person writing that has a child who is in law enforcement then its an accurate statement.

sorry but no ones safety trumps anybody's rights

but the question i would ask "how does my gun rights affect your child's safety?"

PistolPackingMomma

Apparently they don't care enough about their children s safety to have armed adults around to protect them.

+1.

I was visiting my disabled mother last year, and took her for a walk on the trail in the park. We were on the part furthest from the cars, playground and most of the people.
A woman and her two kids walked up behind us, and I could hear them whispering. The mom called for my attention, and explained that her daughters were curious as to why I was wearing a gun.
I explained it was for self defense, and the mom candidly bleated, "oh, I think I would just wait for the police."

...umm, lady? You were on a trail that goes for at least two miles from help, in a park that is at least 10 if not 15 minutes from police response. WTF did she think was going to protect her and her kids while she waited 12-20 minutes for cops to arrive AND locate her?

:banghead:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
+1.

I was visiting my disabled mother last year, and took her for a walk on the trail in the park. We were on the part furthest from the cars, playground and most of the people.
A woman and her two kids walked up behind us, and I could hear them whispering. The mom called for my attention, and explained that her daughters were curious as to why I was wearing a gun.
I explained it was for self defense, and the mom candidly bleated, "oh, I think I would just wait for the police."

...umm, lady? You were on a trail that goes for at least two miles from help, in a park that is at least 10 if not 15 minutes from police response. WTF did she think was going to protect her and her kids while she waited 12-20 minutes for cops to arrive AND locate her?

:banghead:

I thought you couldn't OC in South Carolina.

Regardless, your points are well taken and true. The mother is clueless.

PistolPackingMomma

Generally, you are correct. In this instance, I was visiting my Mom, who, thankfully, lives in an OC state.

mikeyb

I saw an article heading and an accompanying picture. I didn't bother to read the article. I'm not sure if it's true that reading dumb **** can actually make you dumber, but I don't want to chance it any more than I have to.

The picture is of a person holding up a sign. The sign reads, "My kids [sic] safety trumps your gun rights"

Does it though? Does it really? Show me any authoritative texts which support that assertion.

While you're at it, show me any authoritative texts which show that the exercise of my rights conflict with the safety of your children.

Thugs with jugs.

Too bad they have it wrong. Rights always trump safety. The right for me to travel is fraught with danger. I could be attacked, run over, or suffer from exposure.

I'm currently looking into US vs. Cruikshank. Lovely piece of interpretation of the 2A. Add that with the incorporation of the BoR to the states, that's enough to make any anti's head explode.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
"My kids safety trumps your right to own a car."

"My kids safety trumps your right to build a swimming pool."

"My kids safety trumps your right to use buckets/plastic bags/powerful magnets/knives/baseball bats/fists/arms/etc"

"My kids safety trumps your right to live."

papa bear

"My kids safety trumps your right to own a car."

"My kids safety trumps your right to build a swimming pool."

"My kids safety trumps your right to use buckets/plastic bags/powerful magnets/knives/baseball bats/fists/arms/etc"

"My kids safety trumps your right to live."

you do realize that there were no rights in any of the examples you just gave?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
you do realize that there were no rights in any of the examples you just gave?

LOL

I don't have a right to own a car?

I don't have a right to build a swimming pool?

I don't have a right to live?

Constitutional enumeration has next to nothing to do with whether something is a right. The sphere of right extends to all such actions as do not violate the equivalent freedom of action of another, or, to paraphrase Jefferson, all actions which "neither pick my pocket nor break my bone."

Now, explain how even one of those things doesn't fit that definition.

Last edited:

papa bear

LOL

I don't have a right to own a car?

I don't have a right to build a swimming pool?

I don't have a right to live?

Constitutional enumeration has next to nothing to do with whether something is a right. The sphere of right extends to all such actions as do not violate the equivalent freedom of action of another, or, to paraphrase Jefferson, all actions which "neither pick my pocket nor break my bone."

Now, explain how even one of those things doesn't fit that definition.

i stand corrected on the right to life. of course, you have the right to life, till a court decides to take that from you

but you do not have the right to a car or a pool, or even a house. if you did it would be up to the government to give you one, even if you didn't want it. something like having to buy insurance

i could point out in you scenario, that you getting a car may take away someone else's car from them. also if it were a right you would get it for free (which i have always thought we should be issued a free gun)

papa bear

Never read the 9th?

yes and that is one of the dilemmas that the founders had.

that is where ROE vs. WADE came from. it does generally fall to the states through the 10th.

but by all means you still have to have the rights enumerated, or say ruled on. if you didn't people could demand all kinds of rights. like demanding we have health care or a minimum wage

of course that is one thing we have had a good record on in this nation. anything that is man made, is left to the markets, and anything that the creator makes is what we have rights for

PistolPackingMomma

i stand corrected on the right to life. of course, you have the right to life, till a court decides to take that from you

but you do not have the right to a car or a pool, or even a house. if you did it would be up to the government to give you one, even if you didn't want it. something like having to buy insurance

i could point out in you scenario, that you getting a car may take away someone else's car from them. also if it were a right you would get it for free (which i have always thought we should be issued a free gun)

Seriously?

Wtf...

sudden valley gunner

yes and that is one of the dilemmas that the founders had.

that is where ROE vs. WADE came from. it does generally fall to the states through the 10th.

but by all means you still have to have the rights enumerated, or say ruled on. if you didn't people could demand all kinds of rights. like demanding we have health care or a minimum wage

of course that is one thing we have had a good record on in this nation. anything that is man made, is left to the markets, and anything that the creator makes is what we have rights for

No I don't need them ruled on. Rights preexist the state and do not rely on the states approval.

You have the right to health care and to insist you will only work for a minimum wage, you don't have the "right" to demand them from someone else.

Are we not part of nature why would we not have the rights to what we create?

OC for ME

We have a right to life, liberty, and property. Health care is not property. Health insurance is not property. A minimum wage is not property. The remunerations received from our labors in service to another is our property. We do not have a right to purchase a house, car, or any other "good", but once purchased it is our property.