• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

They took my gun!!

OC for ME

Actually, I believe he was wrong in that. I find no state law that makes firearms possession illegal on Indian lands. Tribal laws do not apply to non-tribal members. I'm still looking, but the most I can see is that the Indians can only trespass him from their lands, or at least back onto the highway.

<snip>
The OP believed at the time, and may yet retain that belief, that his carrying was unlawful. Said so in his op. So, the singular point is, if you "know" it to be unlawful, your act, why violate the "law."

Actual legality is irrelevant.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...to the best of my knowledge if a Skokomish visits the Navajo reservation the Navajos can't touch him with their tribal law either...

This is correct. Each tribe's laws only apply to members of that tribe, not to any Indian.

Jeff Hayes

If I am the tribe I am thinking my property, my land, my nation I published my rules for entering my property and he choose to willfully ignore them. If nothing else that is rude being rude in return is kinda earned IMO especially since they basically have no authority over the visitors to their nation.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

If you are not breaking any other laws of the state what I am hearing is you will lose your firearm and be kicked of the Reservation. I am also hearing you will never get your firearm back. If you are breaking other state laws they will most likely contact the local state authorities and they will come and they will arrest you. Most Tribes work closely with the the local Sheriff and State Officials in Law Enforcement. In some states they are also sworn state Police Officers. That depends on the state and the Tribe. New Mexico is the only state that has a statute that states your NM issued permit/license is not valid on the Reservations. Going to a Reservation is like leaving the country in some aspects. I remember talking to a Federal Agent who worked near and on a Reservation years back. I ask him what the laws were and how they worked. His answer was: "When you find out please tell me!"

What still confuses me is if the Indian Cops have no authority over not tribal members and one is on Tribal property how can the local Sheriff trespass you. I am not sure how the local sheriff has any jurisdiction over anyone on Tribal property. I know it happens I am just not sure where the Sheriff get hos authority. It seems to me that no one has authority over non tribal members on tribal property. There must be something I am missing.

notalawyer

If I am the tribe I am thinking my property, my land, my nation I published my rules for entering my property and he choose to willfully ignore them. If nothing else that is rude being rude in return is kinda earned IMO especially since they basically have no authority over the visitors to their nation.

So you believe that if your neighbor ignores some of your 'rules' you can confiscate his personal property and not return it.....interesting.

And let's get one thing clear. Indian Land is not an independent nation. It is land granted to Indian tribes under treaty from the United States Government (the sovereign owner along with the State in which they exist).

Last edited:

notalawyer

Chalk this one up to an action that hopefully you are able to live and learn a valuable lesson to pass on to someone else before they get into hot water.

Some wish they could've only been able to say what you are experiencing, after they lost their gun through an unfortunate incident, while they now sit in prison reliving a moment of bad judgement.

Theft!

oddMichaelThompson

the solution to prevent the situation from happening again

I think that you should use the protable gun safe to store your firearm. Otherwise the theif can easily access your gun again. You can choose the small gun safe that is more protable if you have to frequently carry your gun with you.

Jeff Hayes

So you believe that if your neighbor ignores some of your 'rules' you can confiscate his personal property and not return it.....interesting.

Where did I say that? I said the tribes are doing it I never said I was OK with it.

And let's get one thing clear. Indian Land is not an independent nation. It is land granted to Indian tribes under treaty from the United States Government (the sovereign owner along with the State in which they exist).

They are Domestic Dependent Nations to be exact. Section 8 of the Constitution separates the Indian Nations from the states and the federal government. Tribal authority is not granted by the states their land is in.

PavePusher

I didn't ask for your opinion and I know for a fact that no one here who carries their fire arm daily is going to leave their gun at home while passing through a reservation on their way to go somewhere else where it is legal to carry so go somewhere else with your ignorant opinions because I will bet a good amount of money that you drink a beer or whiskey from time to time and no one is going to give you crap about it as long as your not drunk when you carry and the same should be said of marijuana but regardless I didn't ask your opinion on wether or not I should carry a firearm or be aloud to what I do in the privacy of my home is my business

1 Actually, by posting openly in a public forum, you certainly did "ask for (our) opinion(s)".

2. If you'd had the firearm unloaded and secured per FOPA, you'd probably have been legal across the Res. (I'll defer to others on that one, but it appears to cover it...?)

3. Some, maybe many, will agree with you on what the law SHOULD be.... but we have to actually operate under what the law IS, while working to change it. Break the law, just or unjust, at your peril. Duh.

4. Dude, like, use, like, some grammar, like, and punctuation. THEN complain to us. Or have someone, like, proof-read your scribblings. Because massively run-on sentences do NOT increase your credibility.

PavePusher

Ive already replaced my stolen property and am probably much more responsible when handling fire arms then you..

Im 18 years old with my associates degree and a job that pays 54k a year with full benefits so I think Ill just continue to get high with my cousin while I finger f*** my new XDm 3.8 Compact .40.. Ignorant Ill Informed Idiot..

A. I find it hard to believe they'll pass out an Associate's to someone who writes as you do here.

B. You just announced your intent to commit what is currently a crime, on a public web-forum. "Ignorant Ill Informed Idiot", indeed.....

I smell... TROLL.

wimwag

I got my GED when I was 16 and immediately working on my degree in computer science n got it soon after my 18th birthday.. a week later I had a secure position payin much more then you could even imagined making when you were my age..

GED at 16? Big deal. In my younger days when I spent some time locked up, I used it to get my GED 3 times. (you have to slightly change the spelling of your name.) And that's on top of my high school diploma and an Associates of Applied Science in Marketing. Money don't make the man pothead. Learn a lesson from this if you're so smart.