• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

They took my gun!!

dingywingy

Ok well to keep a long story short I was passing through a reservation about a month ago and my Glock 23 got taken from me.. I knew It was illegal for me to be carrying on a reservation but I was just passing through and thought I wouldn't have any issues but I was wrong and with hindsight I regret having my gun on me that day but anyways the cops were cool and just confiscated my gun baton and knife I was carrying at the time with no charges and they told me to go pick my stuff up from property when I could

Well im only 18 and for some reason no police station will release my gun to me I have to either have my parents get it or in the case of the reservation I brought my cousin to get my property..

Well as im filling out the paper work a narcotics officers comes out of no where and tells me and my cousin that a sensor that detects narcotics in the air went off so he searches me and my cousin and checks my tounge and eyes and says that im under the influence of marijuana which at the time was untrue I was not under the influence at all , but my cousin was high but the officer apparently didn't believe him to be high.. Well he takes the dog to search my car and finds my moms prescription medication and that was all..

Well he tells me that because I was under the influence of marijuana he was going to take my gun and melt it down.. I told him that my father had given me the gun and it was all I had and it softened him up a bit and he then told me if I get a certificate from a drug counsler and show him he would release my gun to me..

So my question is this.. Can he legally withhold my fire arm from me? there is no physical proof other then his conclusion of the way my eyes moved and my tounge was white can he still keep my gun? This is also on a reservation tho so I don't know if he can do this or not..

I know the ATF says anyone addicted to an illegal substance cant own or posses a fire arm but there is no proof I was under the influence and I was in fact not under the influence at the time so please help if you can

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sounds like your Glock is bye bye.

Going to a police station with someone who is high is not very bright.

Beats me what type of certificate the PD is looking for or the rules of the reservation.

Getting the certification may cost more than the gun is worth.

dingywingy

Sounds like your Glock is bye bye.

Going to a police station with someone who is high is not very bright.

Beats me what type of certificate the PD is looking for or the rules of the reservation.

Getting the certification may cost more than the gun is worth.

Well I didn't know he was high until after the entire encounter and neither did the narcotics officer I was just pointing out how stupid it was that he would say I was high when I actually wasn't yet he conducted the same test on my cousin yet he couldn't tell he was high.. and he is simply asking me to go through a drug program and finish it and show him proof I haven't been using drugs so he is personally asking for me to do it before he releases my gun from me but I do not see how a narcotics officer has that type of power

I do not understand how he can legally keep my gun from me..

Last edited:

OC for ME

Produce this sensor that detects airborne narcotics. It very well could have been the cop who was emanating narcotics.

I knew It was illegal for me to be carrying on a reservation...
Know the law, you apparently did. Comport yourself within the confines of the law, apparently you did not.

The gun is bye bye.

Teachable moment?

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
(Some content snipped)

I knew It was illegal for me to be carrying on a reservation

Well as im filling out the paper work a narcotics officers comes out of no where and tells me and my cousin that a sensor that detects narcotics in the air went off so he searches me and my cousin and checks my tounge and eyes and says that im under the influence of marijuana which at the time was untrue I was not under the influence at all , but my cousin was high but the officer apparently didn't believe him to be high.. Well he takes the dog to search my car and finds my moms prescription medication and that was all..

I know the ATF says anyone addicted to an illegal substance cant own or posses a fire arm but there is no proof I was under the influence and I was in fact not under the influence at the time so please help if you can

I also believe that your firearm is gone, and deservedly so.

You knew that it was illegal to carry a firearm on a reservation, but you simply ignored the law, believing that you would not get caught.

You are a self-admitted marijuana user based on the officer's testing and your statements that you were "in fact not under the influence at the time" which suggests that you do get high, but didn't happen to be under the influence at that time.

It may sound harsh, but I don't believe you should be carrying a firearm. Your disregard for the law and your propensity to use mind-altering drugs does not add to what law-abiding gun carriers are trying to achieve: the general population's acceptance and normalization of firearms carry as a right. Every example of someone carrying who disregards the law diminishes our success.

Last edited:

dingywingy

I also believe that your firearm is gone, and deservedly so.

You knew that it was illegal to carry a firearm on a reservation, but you simply ignored the law, believing that you would not get caught.

You are a self-admitted marijuana user based on the officer's testing and your statements that you were "in fact not under the influence at the time" which suggests that you do get high, but didn't happen to be under the influence at that time.

It may sound harsh, but I don't believe you should be carrying a firearm. Your disregard for the law and your propensity to use mind-altering drugs does not add to what law-abiding gun carriers are trying to achieve: the general population's acceptance and normalization of firearms carry as a right. Every example of someone carrying who disregards the law diminishes our success.

I didn't ask for your opinion and I know for a fact that no one here who carries their fire arm daily is going to leave their gun at home while passing through a reservation on their way to go somewhere else where it is legal to carry so go somewhere else with your ignorant opinions because I will bet a good amount of money that you drink a beer or whiskey from time to time and no one is going to give you crap about it as long as your not drunk when you carry and the same should be said of marijuana but regardless I didn't ask your opinion on wether or not I should carry a firearm or be aloud to what I do in the privacy of my home is my business

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
What is actually IN WRITING about any of these incidents and seizures?

JamesCanby

Activist Member
I didn't ask for your opinion and I know for a fact that no one here who carries their fire arm daily is going to leave their gun at home while passing through a reservation on their way to go somewhere else where it is legal to carry so go somewhere else with your ignorant opinions because I will bet a good amount of money that you drink a beer or whiskey from time to time and no one is going to give you crap about it as long as your not drunk when you carry and the same should be said of marijuana but regardless I didn't ask your opinion on wether or not I should carry a firearm or be aloud to what I do in the privacy of my home is my business

By posting on this discussion website, you invite comments and opinions on what you post. Some may be positive and supportive of your position; mine -- and others -- were not.

The "fact" that "everyone else" does it does not alter the fact that it is illegal to carry on a reservation. You made the choice to carry illegally and advocating illegal acts is not tolerated on this forum. Forum Rule (15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

You do not know and cannot possibly know anything about my carry scenarios, but one may safely infer from your original post that you do, at times, get high. Since you admit carrying illegally at times, one may also safely infer that you carry when high.

Lastly, there was no discussion of what you "do in the privacy of [your] home." In any case, what you do at home is irrelevant to this discussion.

Last edited:

Bernymac

"Narcotics air sensor"??? You got suckered. Get a lawyer...they would have a better chance of helping you. Opinions and judgements of your character will be plentiful here, but one thing is for sure...it won't help you in any way. If you can't afford a lawyer, no one will provide you one for free.

Chalk it up to experience. Forget about buying another gun, just save your money for more weed. You can just get high with your cousin and you'll soon forget the troubles about your lost property.

OC for ME

Fair and honest question. I do not know where to find the answer. Maybe BIA.gov?

Is there a lawful manner of transporting a firearm when passing through a reservation?

dingywingy

By posting on this discussion website, you invite comments and opinions on what you post. Some may be positive and supportive of your position; mine -- and others -- were not.

The "fact" that "everyone else" does it does not alter the fact that it is illegal to carry on a reservation. You made the choice to carry illegally and advocating illegal acts is not tolerated on this forum. Forum Rule (15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

You do not know and cannot possibly know anything about my carry scenarios, but one may safely infer from your original post that you do, at times, get high. Since you admit carrying illegally at times, one may also safely infer that you carry when high.

Lastly, there was no discussion of what you "do in the privacy of [your] home." In any case, what you do at home is irrelevant to this discussion.

When did I ever say I carry illegally? NEVER and you saying you can safely infer I carry when high is the same as me saying you carry when you get drunk so shut up your no longer welcome here in this discussion which should of been obvious so now you're just talking to yourself..

dingywingy

"Narcotics air sensor"??? You got suckered. Get a lawyer...they would have a better chance of helping you. Opinions and judgements of your character will be plentiful here, but one thing is for sure...it won't help you in any way. If you can't afford a lawyer, no one will provide you one for free.

Chalk it up to experience. Forget about buying another gun, just save your money for more weed. You can just get high with your cousin and you'll soon forget the troubles about your lost property.

Ive already replaced my stolen property and am probably much more responsible when handling fire arms then you..

Im 18 years old with my associates degree and a job that pays 54k a year with full benefits so I think Ill just continue to get high with my cousin while I finger f*** my new XDm 3.8 Compact .40.. Ignorant Ill Informed Idiot..

JamesCanby

Activist Member
When did I ever say I carry illegally? NEVER and you saying you can safely infer I carry when high is the same as me saying you carry when you get drunk so shut up your no longer welcome here in this discussion which should of been obvious so now you're just talking to yourself..

You said it in your original post, sonny. "I was passing through a reservation about a month ago and my Glock 23 got taken from me.. I knew It was illegal for me to be carrying on a reservation."

You do not get to determine who posts on this forum or thread. It's a discussion board. If you don't want your situation discussed, you shouldn't post.

Your reaction to my observations doubles down on my opinion that you should not be carrying at all. You display real problems with anger management.

Bernymac

Ive already replaced my stolen property and am probably much more responsible when handling fire arms then you..

Im 18 years old with my associates degree and a job that pays 54k a year with full benefits so I think Ill just continue to get high with my cousin while I finger f*** my new XDm 3.8 Compact .40.. Ignorant Ill Informed Idiot..

Yeah, this is coming from a person who believed in the "narcotics air detector". Uh-huh! Yeah! Pass the weed.

dingywingy

dingywingy

You said it in your original post, sonny. "I was passing through a reservation about a month ago and my Glock 23 got taken from me.. I knew It was illegal for me to be carrying on a reservation."

You do not get to determine who posts on this forum or thread. It's a discussion board. If you don't want your situation discussed, you shouldn't post.

Your reaction to my observations doubles down on my opinion that you should not be carrying at all. You display real problems with anger management.

Isnt it funny how your opinion doesn't matter to anyone anywhere and has no effect on what I do? like I said I don't care what you have to say think or feel so take it somewhere else..

Matter of fact none of you have provided me the answer in which I came here to ask so I think ill go somewhere else where people are better informed and less likely to be the offspring of the copulation of brother and sister..

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Isnt it funny how your opinion doesn't matter to anyone anywhere and has no effect on what I do? like I said I don't care what you have to say think or feel so take it somewhere else..

Matter of fact none of you have provided me the answer in which I came here to ask so I think ill go somewhere else where people are better informed and less likely to be the offspring of the copulation of brother and sister..

It is obvious from your statements that no one's opinion matters to you unless it supports your illegal activities.

As for you having an Associate's degree ... please do NOT name the community college you attended; I am certain they would be embarrassed by your lack of writing "skills." That is, if you even actually have an AA. Eighteen is the normal age for high school graduation and it would have typically taken two years at a CC to obtain an AA. You must be one of those "prodigies."

Good luck on finding a forum where "people are better informed" about gun issues.

Thanks for playing, and don't let the door hit you in the a$$ when you leave.

Bernymac

http://www.sensorsmag.com/networkin...al-detection-part-1-understanding-ion-mo-3950

You are an idiot this technology is in place and has been for some time now I never said I believed him when he said he had one in his ****** police station because i didn't but wether or not I believed him at the time didn't matter.. now who looks stupid?

You must be really high. You are the one who got suckered into believing they have that in the station and consented to a search. Just because the technology is there does not mean they have it and use it. And if you are really knowledgeable, you will know that they are not very reliable. A rudimentary google search does not really provide you with the intricate knowledge of trace chemical detectors.

The cops relied on your ignorance and full blown stupidity and they took advantage of that. You may think I am stupid, but you already proved that you are.

Primus

It is obvious from your statements that no one's opinion matters to you unless it supports your illegal activities.

As for you having an Associate's degree ... please do NOT name the community college you attended; I am certain they would be embarrassed by your lack of writing "skills." That is, if you even actually have an AA. Eighteen is the normal age for high school graduation and it would have typically taken two years at a CC to obtain an AA. You must be one of those "prodigies."

Good luck on finding a forum where "people are better informed" about gun issues.

Thanks for playing, and don't let the door hit you in the a$$ when you leave.

He did use "copulation" sounds like he must be edjumacated. :D

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk