Thread: Georgia Catholic & Episcopalian Archbishops ban guns

Georgia Catholic & Episcopalian Archbishops ban guns

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2014/05...olic-churches/

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/state-r...ion-of-/nfkZk/

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...fPnO20lJ0M0rJM

I suggest the Episcopalians take a lesson from the schism of the Episcopal Diocese of South Carolina from the Episcopal Church in the United States.

“[B]efore this legislation takes effect in July, I will officially restrict the presence of weapons in our Catholic institutions except for those carried by the people that civic authorities have designated and trained to protect and guard us — and those who are duly authorized law and military officials,” Catholic Archbishop Wilton D. Gregory wrote in an op-ed in this week’s Georgia Bulletin. Episcopal churches in Middle and North Georgia will follow a similar policy, the Diocese of Atlanta’s Bishop Robert Wright said in a statement this week.
    http://www.georgiabulletin.org/comme...s-new-gun-law/

https://www.episcopalatlanta.org/Cus...gunsletter.pdf
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-02-2014 at 01:17 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

this stuff drives me nuts. I'm a catholic, and I carry at mass... but then again here in Washington which never had a law banning carry in churches, so I guess it has never had the potential to be a modern media issue.
    Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 05-02-2014 at 01:40 PM.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Bishop Robert C. Wright

Just another liberal.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I guess that crack Jesus made about selling your cloak to buy a sword was just a joke. Or were his disciples "civic authorities" instead of fishermen?
    Last edited by PistolPackingMomma; 05-02-2014 at 02:15 PM.

1619, Virginia required everyone to attend church on the Sabbath, “and all such as bear arms shall bring their pieces, swords, powder and shot.” Those failing to bring their guns were subject to a three shilling fine.

1627, Plymouth Colony had similar rules about coming to church armed. Issack de Rasieres, a visitor from New Netherland, described 1627 Plymouth and “the Sabbathday procession up the hill to worship, every man armed and marching three abreast."

1637, Massachusetts Bay Colony ordered every male above eighteen years of age (except magistrates and elders of the churches) to “come to the public assemblies with their muskets, or other pieces fit for service, furnished with match, powder, & bullets, upon pain of 12d. for every default….”

1641, Plymouth ordered, “It is enacted that every township within this government do carry a competent number of pieces fixed and complete with powder, shot, and swords every Lord's day to the meetings--one of a house from the first of September to the middle of November, except there be some just & lawful impediment.”

1642, Maryland required that any man who was “able to bear arms” “to go to church or chapel or any considerable distance from home” had to carry a loaded gun.

1643, Connecticut ordered, “To prevent or withstand such sudden assaults as may be made by Indians upon the Sabbath or lecture days, it is ordered, that one person in every several house wherein is any soldier or soldiers, shall bring a musket, pistol or some piece, with powder and shot to each meeting….” No fine was specified, but it only took a month for the legislature to remedy that.

1644, New Haven (originally a separate colony from Connecticut) ordered "that every male from 16 to 60 years old within this jurisdiction be furnished forthwith, with a good gun, a sword, a pound of good powder….” On “viewing days” militia officers were to inspect everyone’s guns, with fines for failure to be armed.

1743, South Carolina required “every white male inhabitant of this Province, (except travelers and such persons as shall be above sixty years of age,) who [are] liable to bear arms in the militia of this Province” to “carry with him a [long] gun or a pair of horse-pistols… with at least six charges of gun-powder and ball…” to church. Anyone who failed to bring a long gun or a pair of pistols with ammunition was to be fined 20 shillings.

In 1770, Georgia passed a somewhat similar law requiring every free man to carry a rifle or pistol to church each Sunday. The Georgia statute authorized church officials to search every man up to 14 times per year to make sure that they were armed.

My, how the times have changed.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 05-02-2014 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    [ ... ]1743, South Carolina required “every white male inhabitant of this Province, (except travelers and such persons as shall be above sixty years of age,) who [are] liable to bear arms in the militia of this Province” to “carry with him a [long] gun or a pair of horse-pistols… with at least six charges of gun-powder and ball…” to church. Anyone who failed to bring a long gun or a pair of pistols with ammunition was to be fined 20 shillings..
    When we watch The Patriot (a couple of times each year) I have to leave the room before the suicide scene. It affects me deeply.

He's from Chicago, so no surprise there. Although one's automobile's embellishments are a personal choice, I could object to the flashy rims that he rolls with on his car or the $2.5 million dollar house that he had built for himself. These are personal choices that reflect the vanity of men who come from different parts of the country. He's not a southerner so he doesn't understand our cultural and social affinity with guns but he's not gonna be Archbishop forever.

Catholic Pope demands 'legitimate redistribution' of wealth.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...05-09-06-31-28

I briefly looked for the value of the Holy See, but it is well hidden. I am glad that I am a Lutheran protestant. Come, try to redistribute my wealth. MOLON LABE

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...05-09-06-31-28

I briefly looked for the value of the Holy See, but it is well hidden. I am glad that I am a Lutheran protestant. Come, try to redistribute my wealth. MOLON LABE
    Your wealth redistribution is predestined.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Your wealth redistribution is predestined.
    I do not believe so, not as a Lutheran saved by faith alone sola fide, and not as a wannabe historiographer familiar with the fallacy of historicist prophesy.

If I remember my history lessons correctly the Catholic Bishops supported Hitler also. They apologized for that, and then go down the same road yet again.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    If I remember my history lessons correctly the Catholic Bishops supported Hitler also. They apologized for that, and then go down the same road yet again.
    History is written by the victors. You remember your history lessons incorrectly. Pius XII was resisted as much as possible by the papists.

Even the Wikipedia article has 300 footnotes to thirty references for you to study.

The Reichskonkordat (Reich Concordat) is a treaty between the Holy See and Germany negotiated during its transition into Nazi Germany. It was signed on 20 July 1933 by Secretary of State Eugenio Pacelli (who later became Pope Pius XII) on behalf of Pope Pius XI and Vice Chancellor Franz von Papen and President Paul von Hindenburg on behalf of the German government respectively. The treaty guarantees the rights of the Roman Catholic Church in Germany, but Nazi breaches of the agreement began almost as soon as it had been signed, leading to protest from the Church, including in the 1937 Mit brennender Sorge encyclical of Pope Pius XI.

The Reichskonkordat is the most controversial of several concordats between Germany and other nations that the Vatican negotiated during the pontificate of Pius XI. It is frequently discussed in works that deal with the rise of Hitler in the early 1930s and the Holocaust. The concordat has been described by some as giving moral legitimacy to the Nazi regime soon after Hitler had acquired quasi-dictatorial powers through the Enabling Act of 1933, though Reichskanzler Hitler himself is not a signatory to the treaty and the treaty does not make mention of Hitler, or the Nazi Party. The source document is addressed to President Paul von Hindenburg.

The treaty places constraints on the political activity of German clergy of the Catholic Church. This contributed to a decrease in the previously vocal criticism of Nazism by the hierarchy of the Catholic Church in Germany, after September 1933 when the treaty was ratified. From a Roman Catholic church perspective it has been argued that the concordat prevented even greater evils being unleashed against the Church. Though some German bishops were unenthusiastic, and the Allies at the end of World War II felt it inappropriate, Pope Pius XII successfully argued to keep the concordat in force. It is still in force to this day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vatican46_22.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	11592

ONLY ONE of the MANY photos of willing Catholic Hierarchy supporting the Nazis.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 05-11-2014 at 10:13 AM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump