Thread: Audio Surveillance Question

Audio Surveillance Question

I had a question about recording audio in your house. In my house I have a microphone in my room which is just sitting out and it will record stuff that is loud enough. So frequently it records my children's conversations or whatnot that is going on in the hallway or living room outside of my room (in particular when they're yelling). Is there anything legally really that wrong with this ?

Check state law. However, it is your house and thus you may record audio and video as you see fit. The concern should reside with the presence of non-family members and their expectation of privacy.

Welcome to OCDO
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Have this moved to the Texas sub forum because the recording laws vary from state to state.

Most of the time I would say yes, there is a problem, because of the reasonable expectation of privacy rulings.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Think about Donald Sterling...what don't you want to be recorded?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Banned
    OP can start here:

http://www.akininc.com/PDFs/TEXAS%20...PING%20LAW.pdf

Then examine court case opinions.

Post back with results/questions.