• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Audio Surveillance Question

jak287

I had a question about recording audio in your house. In my house I have a microphone in my room which is just sitting out and it will record stuff that is loud enough. So frequently it records my children's conversations or whatnot that is going on in the hallway or living room outside of my room (in particular when they're yelling). Is there anything legally really that wrong with this ?

OC for ME

Check state law. However, it is your house and thus you may record audio and video as you see fit. The concern should reside with the presence of non-family members and their expectation of privacy.

Welcome to OCDO

Freedom1Man

Have this moved to the Texas sub forum because the recording laws vary from state to state.

Most of the time I would say yes, there is a problem, because of the reasonable expectation of privacy rulings.