• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun Dilemma

WalkingWolf

And here all along skeleton triggers were thought to lighten the trigger weight improving the triggers feel for targets guns.

But no they were popularized so people could put small padlocks into them.

One can learn new things every day.

Yea I laugh every time I hear someone talk about taking a thousands of a ounce off to lighten a trigger. It really is ridiculous, I knew several officers who carried 1911's in the seventies who drilled their own triggers so they could lock the trigger. Locking the trigger was with a padlock was common before the fancy smancy trigger locks came around. But back then people didn't need to pay a mechanic 200 dollars an hour to change a flat tire, or put water in the radiator.

S

ScottEdvin

For your and your family members safety, you should know about gun safety rule and follow all the rules. It is very dangerous to use any type of gun in home or other if you don't follow gun safety. Use the gun case and keep it in that place which is out of reach to your family members.

WalkingWolf

It is just my opinion, but the safest place for a handgun in the family home is being carried by the parent. For bedside all that is needed is a good trigger lock. IMO safes are for storing multiple weapons, not used for self defense, unless the bad guy gives you advance warning.

HPmatt

I've got my PPQ right here by my desk. It is my carry gun, but in Texas w/o OC and it now being summer, it rides in my briefcase. I would say it compares very similar to my XDM in grip and weight. I also have the PPX (from Buds), but the PPQ seems to be slightly tighter tolerances in fit & finish. Love the overall feel of the gun and the compound trigger.

Looking forward next week to OC on my drive back from VA to the Sabine River - the Eastern border of Louisiana & Texas.

FreeInAZ

@OP - you may be able to pick up a P99AS (Anti-Stress trigger) for a reasonable price either used or "new" old stock. We have one & my wife shoots well with it. Be aware that it well take time to get used to the trigger. It is quite different from the SIG you own. Decent gun and you can use the mags from the S&W99 in them also I'm told. I picked hers up lightly used with a nice safariland retention holster and 3 mags for $400 from a friend who went to a glock32 instead (357 Sig). The P99AS is now starting to fade away and I suspect as it gets older (now 18 years + on market) the prices will start to spike in the used market.

Here's a good write on them -
http://www.all4shooters.com/en/articles/pistols/2013/Walther-P99-20-years-tested-models/

Last edited:

HolyOrangeJuice

Bought my Glock after spending a lot of time researching different handguns. Had the shop take out all the main brands and felt out which one was the best for me. Glock 17 got my attention so I bought it. Never fired one before. I love it and have been using it for years now. I did the same thing with my motorcycle. Researched a while, sat on it, never test drove it, bought it. Happy as can be. So for me the Researching and getting a feel for it without actually using it has been enough for me to be happy.