• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun Dilemma

KySIGGuy

Good Afternoon all. I would like some input from my fellow OC/CC or OC only people. Currently I own a SIG Sauer P228R. I recently added the SIG E2 (or enhanced ergonomic) 1 piece grips. Don't get me wrong, I love my SIG, but recently I have become very attracted to the Walther P99AS and the PPQ (don't care if it's M1 or M2 version). This attraction has me toying with the idea of trading in the SIG for a P99AS or PPQ. Problem is...there are no gun ranges around here that have these handguns available for rent, nor do I know anyone that owns one to let me try it. My wife is adament about only having 1 gun in the house (unless she can have a "Baby" Browning), so that rules out the possibility of purchasing a new gun. Any input would be appreciated from owners of any and/or all of these weapons. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

decklin

Good Afternoon all. I would like some input from my fellow OC/CC or OC only people. Currently I own a SIG Sauer P228R. I recently added the SIG E2 (or enhanced ergonomic) 1 piece grips. Don't get me wrong, I love my SIG, but recently I have become very attracted to the Walther P99AS and the PPQ (don't care if it's M1 or M2 version). This attraction has me toying with the idea of trading in the SIG for a P99AS or PPQ. Problem is...there are no gun ranges around here that have these handguns available for rent, nor do I know anyone that owns one to let me try it. My wife is adament about only having 1 gun in the house (unless she can have a "Baby" Browning), so that rules out the possibility of purchasing a new gun. Any input would be appreciated from owners of any and/or all of these weapons. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

You can never have to many guns in the house. Just point out all the times people have been saved by having a backup available. Also, if you do end up having to use your gun it will be taken by the police. You'd need to have another gun anyways.
I have regretted selling/trading a few firearms as you NEVER get what it's worth. The only gun I sold that I don't miss was my S&W Sigma SW40VE. That thing was a piece of garbage. I will never sell or trade anymore of my guns. They will always be worth more to me than the next guy.
The two guns I miss the most are my Walther P22 and most of all my Winchester Model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag.

KySIGGuy

You can never have to many guns in the house. Just point out all the times people have been saved by having a backup available. Also, if you do end up having to use your gun it will be taken by the police. You'd need to have another gun anyways.
I have regretted selling/trading a few firearms as you NEVER get what it's worth. The only gun I sold that I don't miss was my S&W Sigma SW40VE. That thing was a piece of garbage. I will never sell or trade anymore of my guns. They will always be worth more to me than the next guy.
The two guns I miss the most are my Walther P22 and most of all my Winchester Model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag.

Let me state also that she is unaware of a hidden Browning Hi-Power in the house. I know I wouldn't get what the SIG is worth, but if I were to trade it, I should be able to get either of the pistols listed above with little to no cost to me. My problem is that I need input about the Walthers. I've done Google searches and browsed numerous websites, but it's very rare to find an owner of all the guns or a critic who is intimately familiar enough with all 3 to give a completely unbiased opinion.

PnutButtaToast

Let me start by saying I have no experience with any of the 3 fire arms mentioned. That being said here is what I think.

Right now you have a fire arm you know and love. If this is your only fire arm you are able to carry do NOT trade it. Since you are unable to try either of the other 2 fire arms all you can go off of is other users experiences and problems. We all know each gun model has their owns problems and quirks. And while one specific gun may not suffer from any known problems of that model another may suffer from all of them and more. It would put you in a bad spot trading a gun that you know for a fact is reliable and that you are comfortable with for one that may not feel good and may have every known problem. Leaving you without a useable fire arm at all.

Now you should either toss the idea of owning one of those guns aside and be happy with the one you have, or grow a pair and just buy one without getting rid of yours. If you don't like it you can try to trade for the other one or sell it and take a hit. I have done similar things with other hobbies and have made huge mistakes that have cost me. I would never take that chance with my protection.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran

I think the only solution is to get your wife a "Baby" Browning, along with the Walther for yourself.

Problem solved!

You're welcome . . .

:)

Elm Creek Smith

Why would your wife be adamant about only having one gun in the house? My wife was adamant about having HER OWN GUN in the house! I wasn't going to get away with carrying MY gun into the other room or out onto the property leaving her without one! By all means get a gun for her, then get another gun for yourself. (Honey, I need this one in case the other one breaks.) Then, encourage her to go shooting with you. Pretty soon she'll want another gun of her own. End result - lots of guns in the house.

Rusty Young Man

I think the only solution is to get your wife a "Baby" Browning, along with the Walther for yourself.

Problem solved!

You're welcome . . .

:)

Unless you are having problems with your current gun, you probably will regret trading or selling it. JMHO.

^^These two quotes summarize my opinion in a more concise manner than I would have been able to type.

My wife likes guns also. she doesn't even blink and eye when another one follows me home.

She just wants to know if I got a good buy.

She sounds like a keeper. *Grumbles under breath: "Lucky bastard"* :lol::)

sounds to me like some more OCDO marriage counseling is needed!

PLEASE let us not go down that route again... unless we can get some kind of show out of it?:confused::lol:

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Why would your wife be adamant about only having one gun in the house? My wife was adamant about having HER OWN GUN in the house! I wasn't going to get away with carrying MY gun into the other room or out onto the property leaving her without one! By all means get a gun for her, then get another gun for yourself. (Honey, I need this one in case the other one breaks.) Then, encourage her to go shooting with you. Pretty soon she'll want another gun of her own. End result - lots of guns in the house.

This may be the most carefully thought-out plan ever.:lol: Me likey.:)

Firearms Iinstuctor

^^

She sounds like a keeper. *Grumbles under breath: "Lucky bastard"* :lol::)

l:

Been married too her for over 33years she shoots her deer every year carries her 357 some,

Bow hunted when she was younger now that cross bows are legal in Wis. she wants to use one to get back into bow hunting.

She won a few practical pistol matches earlier in are marriage when I was still competing she go and shoot the women's match.

KySIGGuy

The wife isn't as gun friendly as some. Her main concern is the safety of the kids and their tendancy to go snooping around the house when they shouldn't (admittedly this is how I found out my dad had a handgun years ago). The kids will be taught gun safety as soon as they are mature enough, and both of them seem eager to learn to shoot. My pistol is kept locked at all times and both my wife and I have a key in case she were to need it, but the Hi-Power is kept separate. I would love to be able to afford to purchase another one, but that's not an option unfortunately. More than likely I'll keep the SIG, because I have a feeling that trading it for one of the others would be similar to going from a Ferrari to a BMW. Walther has vastly improved their firearm quality, but SIG seems to be consistant in their quality.

Rusty Young Man

Been married too her for over 33years she shoots her deer every year carries her 357 some,

Bow hunted when she was younger now that cross bows are legal in Wis. she wants to use one to get back into bow hunting.

She won a few practical pistol matches earlier in are marriage when I was still competing she go and shoot the women's match.

There's no need to brag!:lol: What's that part about not coveting thy neighbor's luck in finding an awesome partner and what-not?:)

The wife isn't as gun friendly as some. Her main concern is the safety of the kids and their tendancy to go snooping around the house when they shouldn't (admittedly this is how I found out my dad had a handgun years ago). The kids will be taught gun safety as soon as they are mature enough, and both of them seem eager to learn to shoot.SNIP...

Don't mean to criticize, but gun safety isn't necessarily learning how to shoot. If they're old enough to snoop around, they're old enough to get ahold of the key and get to the guns (I remember what I used to do). Gun safety is more about teaching them to only touch guns under supervision and learning proper muzzle control.
Curiosity and ignorance (Mirriam-Webster definition) are the danger, not the guns themselves.

Last edited:

KySIGGuy

Gun safety is more about teaching them to only touch guns under supervision and learning proper muzzle control.

That's exactly what I meant when I said something about teaching them gun safety. When I said they were eager to learn to shoot, that was in no way tied to the statement about gun safety. It was simply another statement. The key to the lock is kept on my wife's keychain, and mine is on mine. I take it off when I'm home, but keep it on me. The kids never have access to it. They don't even know what the key looks like so at least there's that.

WalkingWolf

That's exactly what I meant when I said something about teaching them gun safety. When I said they were eager to learn to shoot, that was in no way tied to the statement about gun safety. It was simply another statement. The key to the lock is kept on my wife's keychain, and mine is on mine. I take it off when I'm home, but keep it on me. The kids never have access to it. They don't even know what the key looks like so at least there's that.
I always kept the key when I had children at home on a necklace that I wore alllll the time. Never took it off, even to sleep. Old school gun lock was a heavy padlock that would fit behind the trigger of a DA revolver, works the same for a Glock. Simple system that worked very well, though unless it happened and I did not know, my kids never messed with the guns.

1911/SA triggers required a different system, craftsman tool box with a lock. Though I had heard back then of owners drilling a hole in the long trigger of a 1911 and putting a small padlock through the hole. I felt better with the locked tool box.

EMNofSeattle

I always kept the key when I had children at home on a necklace that I wore alllll the time. Never took it off, even to sleep. Old school gun lock was a heavy padlock that would fit behind the trigger of a DA revolver, works the same for a Glock. Simple system that worked very well, though unless it happened and I did not know, my kids never messed with the guns.

1911/SA triggers required a different system, craftsman tool box with a lock. Though I had heard back then of owners drilling a hole in the long trigger of a 1911 and putting a small padlock through the hole. I felt better with the locked tool box.

why not just a combination safe and not tell the crumb crunchers the combo?

I wouldn't be drilling holes in any firearm unless i become a gunsmith....

WalkingWolf

why not just a combination safe and not tell the crumb crunchers the combo?

I wouldn't be drilling holes in any firearm unless i become a gunsmith....
A key is much faster and more positive than a combination, IMO. The skeleton 1911 triggers came to be, because owners drilled holes in them for the very reason to put a lock in. Wayyyy before your time though.

Firearms Iinstuctor

And here all along skeleton triggers were thought to lighten the trigger weight improving the triggers feel for targets guns.

But no they were popularized so people could put small padlocks into them.

One can learn new things every day.