• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FYI: SAF, Florida Carry sue Tallahassee over discharge ordinance

Dave Workman

aadvark

What is Law is Law, and Florida Code 790.33 is NO Exception!

Florida Carry also Sued Broward County as Well.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
What is Law is Law, and Florida Code 790.33 is NO Exception!

Florida Carry also Sued Broward County as Well.

There are many laws that get superseded with others .. they just leave them on the books .. they're lazy.

The problem is that a cop will read the ordinance and mess with people.

davidmcbeth

Banned
It's not that they don't know their laws are illegal. They have been approached about it but refuse to change their laws.

Do you want judges to order them to pass a law rescinding the old one? I don't want judges to have that authority.

They can rule its unlawful ... that's good enough in my book.

notalawyer

Do you want judges to order them to pass a law rescinding the old one? I don't want judges to have that authority.

They can rule its unlawful ... that's good enough in my book.

No. I think that would be a violation of the Separation of Powers doctrine.

But, since this is a willful violation of the law, certain punitive actions should be taken:

A $5,000 fine for each member (which cannot be paid with public money) and an order that they reimburse the city for the costs of the litigation.

The court order should then state that if the law is not repealed within let's say 60 days:

An order requiring city council notify to all law enforcement personnel under it's jurisdiction of the order in say 60 days. Any action taken by anyone after that date will result in the same $5,000 fine; termination from employment (or removal from office for elected folks) by the Governor as provided for in the law; and contempt of court charges.​

Refusal by any council member to 'authorize' such notification should result in contempt of court charges and a 'removal from office' recommendation to the Governor.​

That way the city council is given a choice and there are no constitutional issues involved. :cool:

And of course a final order by the court that any subsequent action by the city council in violation state law on this topic will result in a fine another $5,000 fine; and recommendation by the court to the Governor that he immediately remove from each member involved from office; and contempt of court charges.

All nice and tidy, lawful and constitutional. :banana:

Last edited:

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
The continued promulgation (publication) of these illegal ordinances is forbidden under 790.33(3)f. Since all ordinances must be published in the code of ordinances, the appropriate remedy for the court is a writ of mandamus compelling the city/county to repeal or amend. The courts have always had this power... Checks and balances.

Last edited:

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Because Wisconsin suffers similarly (http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...7-10-02-Carrying-concealed-weapons-prohibited) can you cite case law that might suggest an effective course of action.

It is all very dependant on how the state preemption statute is written. We wrote the enforcement provisions of Florida's in 2011 so we were able to make it pretty effective. This is not to say that it is prefect... In hindsight there are some minor tweaks we could have made to make it even more effective.

If you guys have a Wisconsin attorney dealing with preemption actions please put him in touch with us. We will help any way we can.

NRA v. South Miami and Florida Carry v. UNF are good cases to start with.

Last edited: