• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DESPP refuses to provide records relating to 2 JAN 14 confisgation letter

davidmcbeth

Banned
Recall that 2 JAN 14 letter that's been posted on the web and maybe here?

Well, in FEB I called DESPP and they told me (and others) that the 2 JAN letter was never sent out.

In FEB I filed a FOIA request to see if the letter was a genuine DESPP letter .... they confirmed that it was via providing me with a pdf of the letter).

In MAR I filed a 2nd request seeking to inspect every letter that went out (not that they just had such a letter in their system), treating each as a separate document to be subject to inspection.

After emails back and forth I decided that they have no intention of providing me access to those letters.

So I filed 2 complaints .... first to FIC that might hear it before we all die .. and 2nd to the state's attny office asking for criminal charges...because DESPP has been ordered over and over to comply with the FOI Act but continues to just jerk people around and its on purpose. CGS Sec. 1-240 (b) allows for criminal convictions. From emails I got from the Freedom of Information Commission it appears as if DESPP waits around to "batch process" FOIA requests of people who file maybe 10-20 a year. So their process is designed to delay and frustrate the FOI Act.

Last edited:

PeaceBeWithYourSoul

Where are the so called "good" cops to make an investigation and an arrest?

This is why I always say, and never waver: ALL cops are bad. ALL cops are dirty. Until THEY start enforcing the law equally and arresting the dirty cops, these so called "good" are dirty as hell. Argument: 'We can't arrest them, those are our brothers.'

Criminals, your brothers? Dirty. Bad.

Why is there never a response from a Law Enforcement Officer?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Updated response of DESPP regarding those 2 JAN 14 confisgation letters

The Special Licensing and Firearms Unit has done an exhaustive search for the records you requested but they have been unable to locate any records. By way of explanation, we have been advised that the letter was not mailed to any specific individuals. It was a draft prepared in response to inquiries from some legislators and federally licensed firearms dealers regarding possible options for those who had not registered their assault weapons and/or high capacity magazines by the December 31, 2013 deadline. The letter was not addressed to any specific individuals, but rather was generic in nature. We have been further advised that it may have been provided to a couple of legislators and federal licensed firearms dealers for informational purposes only. The Special Licensing and Firearms Unit does not have any records as to who it went to. As you may know, a new letter was subsequently prepared which revised the draft letter and was sent to individuals who did not timely register their assault weapons and/or high capacity magazines.

Accordingly, we do not have any other records to provide you other than the letter previously disclosed to you.

Henri Alexandre

davidmcbeth

Banned
So they did send out letters ... what the text of those letters are is still not 100% known.

Of course, DESPP has said one thing on Monday and another on Tuesday so take what they say with a grain of salt.

I filed a new request to examine actual letters sent out.

Odd that they are now starting to answer my requests after I filed a criminal complaint against them .... other non-responding agencies have as well. I got calls today about 8 agencies that I filed criminal complaints about in about the last 2 weeks.

Seems as if 1-240(b) has some bite ... as I expected.

Last edited:

PeaceBeWithYourSoul

The Special Licensing and Firearms Unit has done an exhaustive search for the records you requested but they have been unable to locate any records. By way of explanation, we have been advised that the letter was not mailed to any specific individuals. It was a draft prepared in response to inquiries from some legislators and federally licensed firearms dealers regarding possible options for those who had not registered their assault weapons and/or high capacity magazines by the December 31, 2013 deadline. The letter was not addressed to any specific individuals, but rather was generic in nature. We have been further advised that it may have been provided to a couple of legislators and federal licensed firearms dealers for informational purposes only. The Special Licensing and Firearms Unit does not have any records as to who it went to. As you may know, a new letter was subsequently prepared which revised the draft letter and was sent to individuals who did not timely register their assault weapons and/or high capacity magazines.

Accordingly, we do not have any other records to provide you other than the letter previously disclosed to you.

Henri Alexandre

Does "a couple" of legislators refer to an exact number? Might be worth hassling them to uncover exactly how many Henri considers a couple to be, and specifically who.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Does "a couple" of legislators refer to an exact number? Might be worth hassling them to uncover exactly how many Henri considers a couple to be, and specifically who.

Well, I did file another foia request seeking actual letter(s) sent out ... but I agree, once the ltr is sent out to anyone it is no longer a "draft", especially since they sent them out to ffls !

So I sought out the actual ltr sent to people....and received their typical BS letter to which I replied today with this:

2 JUN 14

Dear Mr. Alexandre,

Almost immediately after being ordered by the Freedom of Information Commission to comply with the promptness provisions of the Act in FIC Case # 2013-420, you produce the attached letter.

I consider DESPP to be outside the promptness requirements of the Act. I think it must be a game that DESPP plays ... how long can we delay until a citizen complains. This is a game that has criminal penalties for DESPP however, I suggest you re-read CGS Sec. 1-240 (b).

Provide me with the information/access to records desired within 3 business days or I shall file a criminal complaint.