• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OH resident how they get WI license?

Carryon

Hi. May have been covered couple years ago. Have friend in OH that wants to CC in WI. Is his simplest option non-resident VA license??

He has an OH license.

Thanks.

Carryon

Thanks Protias. So what I see on this link that I did not see on others is that WI recognizes out of state licenses from states WI honors. That gives him more choices.

JustaShooter

One option is to get a PA non-resident license. It requires applying in person though, so depending on where in Ohio he lives that may be a bit of a hike...

Carryon

I'll let him know, JustaShooter. He is near Cleveland. I think he may pick one also based on what other states he wants to visit versus what states recognize that non-resident license.

There are several states that are heavily recognized by many other states.

JustaShooter

PA adds PA (of course), WI, GA and TX. Right now, that adds as many states to an OH license as anything else. Once you get past that (which is like 37 states) you have to add them one at a time, and there are many you just can't get.

From Cleveland, the closest two PA counties that issue to non-residents are Erie County and Crawford County (Meadville).

press1280

AZ & VA are your best bets, they can be done by mail. So can UT, but you may need specific UT training. Since your friend is in OH (and no PA/OH reciprocity), a trip to PA might be in order, not to mention the PA license is cheap. PA's law changed so AZ & VA non-resident permits are no longer honored. For now though UT is honored.

MKEgal

press1280 said:
AZ & VA are your best bets, they can be done by mail.
So can UT, but you may need specific UT training.
The only way to get the UT permit is to take the UT class, content for which is specified by the state of UT.

JustaShooter

The only way to get the UT permit is to take the UT class, content for which is specified by the state of UT.

And instructors for which must be certified by UT, in UT - they are now a dwindling breed because of this new requirement.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Good Reasons to allow non-residents to apply for and obtain the Wisconsin Permit

And instructors for which must be certified by UT, in UT - they are now a dwindling breed because of this new requirement.

Lots of people would do this. It would turn Wisconsin into a "go to" state for non-resident licenses. It would even bring in significant money to Wisconsin.

I do not see any downsides.

Anyone care to point out possible down sides?