• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Empty Holster Protest soon?

Javelina

Was wondering if there would be anyway to do a Nationwide Empty Holster Protest for all SCCC supporters sometime soon? I know that summer is pretty much upon us now but I figure the more time we have the better, possible the first week of school? Would be a good way to inform incoming students of what we believe in as well as give us time to inform the media? What are your guys thoughts?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=79458&start=225

check out Ohio.

6aa1ebde-69cb-45f4-b322-c061e74c37db_zpsa8062783.jpg

13 students open carrying on campus. Empty holsters don't work. JMHO

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Was wondering if there would be anyway to do a Nationwide Empty Holster Protest for all SCCC supporters sometime soon? I know that summer is pretty much upon us now but I figure the more time we have the better, possible the first week of school? Would be a good way to inform incoming students of what we believe in as well as give us time to inform the media? What are your guys thoughts?

Usually it is supposed to be the first week of April, but I didn't hear too much about it this year, nor would I have been able to participate (stuck indoors). The SCCC website also shows relatively little activity?

There's currently no director for the state of AZ, and I can say that the University of Arizona doesn't have a recognized club or too many members (some graduated, little exposure, etc.).
After Coty McKenzie graduated and went out into the real world, Greg Collins took over until he also graduated and went out into the real world; no current director for AZ.

I'm hoping to have enough time this next semester to resurrect the SCCC at the U of A, but most clubs don't survive unless they can get a professor to be their advisor; with how leftist Tucson is, only a tenured professor would be able to sponsor us without risking unemployment. THAT has been our biggest challenge.

SNIP... Empty holsters don't work. JMHO

Unfortunately, students risk expulsion for doing that. The students renounce their Rights when they sign a contract in order to attend. I agree that empty holsters are only symbolic, but that is the only way to bring attention to the issue since actual guns would land a student in trouble with the school (no real threat of criminal charges). The empty holster is to bring attention to the fact that students a left defenseless while the higher-ups pass feel-good measures like "Blue Boxes" and one or two more security officers. The only thing that might have been good was giving students pepper spray if they asked for it at the Women's Resource Center, but they also scrapped that program years ago. I guess criminals have a right to feel safe while assaulting or raping someone.

I'll have more time and less constraint AFTER I get my degree, but right now I need one more year, and I'm not about to throw 3 years of work and sleep-deprived nights away.

Last edited:

Javelina

@Rusty: I didn't know SCCC had their own website, i'll make sure to check it out. I'm more of and ASU over U of A kinda guy but for SCCC I guess I'll step on their campus and do anything I can to help :cool: with being in criminal justice I feel like there are people I could speak with in order to bring awareness of the issue we face with being unarmed on campus. If there is anything I can do at all someone please tell me!!! Also I agree 100% of not getting in trouble by bringing firearms onto campus, if I was not a student that would possibly be one thing but in all honesty at the end of the day I am going to do what is legal, whether I agree with it or not.

Primus

Usually it is supposed to be the first week of April, but I didn't hear too much about it this year, nor would I have been able to participate (stuck indoors). The SCCC website also shows relatively little activity?

There's currently no director for the state of AZ, and I can say that the University of Arizona doesn't have a recognized club or too many members (some graduated, little exposure, etc.).
After Coty McKenzie graduated and went out into the real world, Greg Collins took over until he also graduated and went out into the real world; no current director for AZ.

I'm hoping to have enough time this next semester to resurrect the SCCC at the U of A, but most clubs don't survive unless they can get a professor to be their advisor; with how leftist Tucson is, only a tenured professor would be able to sponsor us without risking unemployment. THAT has been our biggest challenge.

Unfortunately, students risk expulsion for doing that. The students renounce their Rights when they sign a contract in order to attend. I agree that empty holsters are only symbolic, but that is the only way to bring attention to the issue since actual guns would land a student in trouble with the school (no real threat of criminal charges). The empty holster is to bring attention to the fact that students a left defenseless while the higher-ups pass feel-good measures like "Blue Boxes" and one or two more security officers. The only thing that might have been good was giving students pepper spray if they asked for it at the Women's Resource Center, but they also scrapped that program years ago. I guess criminals have a right to feel safe while assaulting or raping someone.

I'll have more time and less constraint AFTER I get my degree, but right now I need one more year, and I'm not about to throw 3 years of work and sleep-deprived nights away.

Are you guys doing anything in MA? I have a few universities near me.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Javelina

@Primus bot that I know of, I'm trying to find the SCCC website, I guess they have one? Rusty will know more info whenever he is able to get back on. It would be sweet to do a whole nationwide thing with it.

Rusty Young Man

Here is the SCCC website:
http://concealedcampus.org/

Here is a summary of SCCC's stance (something I should have posted in another thread here, but never got around to doing):
http://concealedcampus.org/2014/04/...ns-on-unlicensed-carry-open-carry-k-12-carry/

Here is the Arizona page:
http://arizona.concealedcampus.org/

As I said, not much activity because of how hostile the environment is down here. You should have seen how some of my professors reacted when I "came out of the closet" regarding OC, DESPITE the fact that I don't carry on campus.

Rusty Young Man

The sad thing is, SCCC is a treasure trove of information that is not heard because of appeals to emotion.

Click here for responses to common arguments against CC on campus (warning: some of the arguments against CC are incredibly stupid, but I've heard more than half of them firsthand :facepalm:):
http://concealedcampus.org/common-arguments/

I worked in ASUA (Associated Students of the University of Arizona, "Your student government" :rolleyes:) two years ago when a survey was conducted and ASUA publicly announced a position against carry on campus. I'll spare everyone the details, but the word "whereas" was used a lot and one of the first lines was something along the lines of "guns do not belong in educational institutions"; I then pointed out to a few people there how there is no method in place to keep criminals with guns off campus (open campus with only a ceremonial wall and gate on the west perimeter) and would do nothing, but as they say "deaf ears."

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Rant on

As it is, even a club revolving around firearms safety (REAL safety=education, including range time at a local range) couldn't get an advisor to become a recognized club. Student Second Amendment Union (S2AU), founded in part by an ex-military guy coming in to study under the G.I. bill.

Here is the coverage for the club's founding:
http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/arti...mendment-club-to-educate-about-firearm-safety

Here is their FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/S2AUatUA

During the first push for getting the word out some people would not even sign up for the email list, claiming that "it goes against my beliefs".:banghead: I don't know what beliefs they are talking about, seeing as pretty much every major religion from Christianity to Islam to Hinduism (though the term is more of an umbrella for various creeds) to Sikhism has some mention of permission to do violence when threatened with annihilation (so, self defense). Unless they are REAL pacifists (no violence or wishing violence towards ANYONE), these idiots have no claim to an inexistent moral high ground.:cuss:
/rant off

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Folks - the way to get campus carry meetings to succeed is a "work around" effort. In short - it has to involve non students of the colleges that we plan to have gatherings at. Maybe a exchange program of sorts? This is the only way to defeat the "the disarmament clause" all students are forced to sign. In states where carry is legal by non students, simply get groups together and do their best to get the word out. In states where illegal to carry on campus the same idea applies - bring in people who need not fear the wrath of college administrators. As I see it, this is the only way enough people will be able to attend these meetings. Now - getting people off their couches and involved is another great challenge. :(

Not saying it can't be done, just saying planning and motivation are going to be needed. :cool:

Last edited:

Javelina

OC at Campuses you are not enrolled at?

I wonder if I am able to OC at a campus that I am not enrolled at? I would not want to create any problems but this just came into my head. I am pretty sure the form I was forced to sign to attend my community college covers all community colleges in AZ but I wonder if this applies to Universities in the valley? I do however want to make sure this wont get me in trouble in any way though as I may transfer to a university at some point in my life. FreeInAZ is right though, I believe if we get those involved who have no connection to the the campus at all that it will keep SCCC in the clear and still provide other students with info.

poetdante

I wonder if I am able to OC at a campus that I am not enrolled at? I would not want to create any problems but this just came into my head. I am pretty sure the form I was forced to sign to attend my community college covers all community colleges in AZ but I wonder if this applies to Universities in the valley? I do however want to make sure this wont get me in trouble in any way though as I may transfer to a university at some point in my life. FreeInAZ is right though, I believe if we get those involved who have no connection to the the campus at all that it will keep SCCC in the clear and still provide other students with info.

It depends on your state laws. In KY universities, colleges, trade schools, etc can regulate weapons on campus but it is not a crime to have one if you are legally allowed to possess one. That being said, if you are a student/employee they may discipline you as they see fit and if you are just passing through they can ask you to leave (and by "can" I mean "will"). If you give them ID, they will probably put you into a report and your name will probably get flagged later as a person who is not welcome at the campus for later on.