Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Finally getting my first gun, important question about the M&P9

  1. #1
    Regular Member Vagrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Greensboro
    Posts
    35

    Finally getting my first gun, important question about the M&P9

    So the stars have finally aligned themselves and i have decided to get an M&P 9 as i just keep getting a ramp up in price on the FN FNX, i am currently on GunBroker dealing with a couple of Factory M&P's. What i wanted to know is what is the difference between a Blued Finish and a Black Finish? As i think i created some confusion for myself when i saw someones used M&P9 Pro, i called Gander Mountain and they stated that the gun i might have seen was probably a Cerakote Blue, that was done individually, as 99% of M&P's are Blued in the first place.

    This is actually a picture of the "Blue" M&P 9

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0035_zpsb36ee985.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	11555


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pix420065250.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	11556

    and i might just be going crazy as that looks to me like that is what someone would consider a "blued" finish. While i look at this one and it looks like a "Black" finish.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pix620627425.jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	11557

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pix449181247.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	11558

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville NC
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    What i wanted to know is what is the difference between a Blued Finish and a Black Finish? As i think i created some confusion for myself when i saw someones used M&P9 Pro, i called Gander Mountain and they stated that the gun i might have seen was probably a Cerakote Blue, that was done individually, as 99% of M&P's are Blued in the first place.
    Most guns are "blued"; that is, they are finished with a compound that resists corrosion. The cerrakote finish does the same thing but is a much different shade. In fact, cerrakote comes in a variety of colors. Before you commit to any of the guns on gunbroker, make sure you know what the MSRP is for that model. Check around locally to see if your LGS can get it for you at about the same price. Online auction price + shipping + transfer may not be all that much different than store price + tax (especially since you are legally obligated to pay the tax anyway LOL).

    Personally, GET THE BLUE, MAN!
    Last edited by bc.cruiser; 05-03-2014 at 07:35 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Apex, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    40
    The finish on those two guns are the same. It's just the lighting in the photo. Go see both of them in person if you can. The finish on M&Ps from the factory is Melonite. I own three of them (Standard, Pro, and Compact all in 9mm). They are all the same unless you custom Cerakote it. I would just buy which ever one you've got the better deal on.

  4. #4
    Regular Member markush's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kenosha
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by kdcyyz View Post
    The finish on those two guns are the same. It's just the lighting in the photo. Go see both of them in person if you can. The finish on M&Ps from the factory is Melonite. I own three of them (Standard, Pro, and Compact all in 9mm). They are all the same unless you custom Cerakote it. I would just buy which ever one you've got the better deal on.
    kdcyyz is absolutely correct...I think a little time spend on S&W's website would confirm the same thing.

  5. #5
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    I suggest looking online at sellers other than auction sites for deals. Bud's guns has some very good deals on guns, and they ship free. My LGS only charges $25 for paperwork/transfer. I haven't looked for some time but a new M&P was around $440 on Bud's.

    As to the finish most guns are blued, but the final finish on the gun often makes the guns look different. The slide on the M&P is stainless so the finish may not be typical bluing but a chemical coating. Stainless does not blue very well, it mostly turns grey.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  6. #6
    Regular Member markush's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kenosha
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The slide on the M&P is stainless so the finish may not be typical bluing but a chemical coating.
    Yeah maybe

  7. #7
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,866
    ok, i am confused since you didn't provide any type of comparison between the two M&Ps nor the FNX

    ...the FNX at buds is $551 and the M&P 9 Pro is $538...both with free shipping...where is the decision here as the FNX is a far superior firearm?

    by the time the bleu'n wears off to make a difference, the world as we know it will have been hit by a meteorite or two!!

    keep us apprised how the purchase transpires and when you get your new firearm.

    oh, have you taken any type of firearm handling course, e.g., NRA's basic pistol course?

    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 05-04-2014 at 03:32 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    326
    The slide and barrel are Stainless. The metal is Carbo-nitrated and the coating is called "Blacking" by S&W. It does have a blueish tint to it though.
    "I'm kinda high (or maybe low) profile around here, to hate on me is just sour grapes." - NCHeel

    "Nuts" followed by "You can go straight to Hell." Jake from Jericho

  9. #9
    Regular Member Vagrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Greensboro
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    ok, i am confused since you didn't provide any type of comparison between the two M&Ps nor the FNX

    ...the FNX at buds is $551 and the M&P 9 Pro is $538...both with free shipping...where is the decision here as the FNX is a far superior firearm?

    by the time the bleu'n wears off to make a difference, the world as we know it will have been hit by a meteorite or two!!

    keep us apprised how the purchase transpires and when you get your new firearm.

    oh, have you taken any type of firearm handling course, e.g., NRA's basic pistol course?

    ipse
    It wasnt about which one was "superior" thats a foolish endeavor, it was about which one I could get affordably and the features of each, when you compare the two they are not big differences, I got the M&P from a store in Coshocton,Ohio for 390 bucks, there was no way I was going to get an FN FNX for that price range, and in itself M&P has more accessories , so I bit.

  10. #10
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    It wasnt about which one was "superior" thats a foolish endeavor, it was about which one I could get affordably and the features of each, when you compare the two they are not big differences, I got the M&P from a store in Coshocton,Ohio for 390 bucks, there was no way I was going to get an FN FNX for that price range, and in itself M&P has more accessories , so I bit.
    thanks for the comeback it answers a couple questions...enjoy your new firearm.

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville NC
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    thanks for the comeback it answers a couple questions...enjoy your new firearm.

    ipse
    +1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •