• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally getting my first gun, important question about the M&P9

Vagrant

So the stars have finally aligned themselves and i have decided to get an M&P 9 as i just keep getting a ramp up in price on the FN FNX, i am currently on GunBroker dealing with a couple of Factory M&P's. What i wanted to know is what is the difference between a Blued Finish and a Black Finish? As i think i created some confusion for myself when i saw someones used M&P9 Pro, i called Gander Mountain and they stated that the gun i might have seen was probably a Cerakote Blue, that was done individually, as 99% of M&P's are Blued in the first place.

This is actually a picture of the "Blue" M&P 9

IMG_0035_zpsb36ee985.jpg

pix420065250.jpg

and i might just be going crazy as that looks to me like that is what someone would consider a "blued" finish. While i look at this one and it looks like a "Black" finish.

pix620627425.jpg

pix449181247.jpg

bc.cruiser

What i wanted to know is what is the difference between a Blued Finish and a Black Finish? As i think i created some confusion for myself when i saw someones used M&P9 Pro, i called Gander Mountain and they stated that the gun i might have seen was probably a Cerakote Blue, that was done individually, as 99% of M&P's are Blued in the first place.

Most guns are "blued"; that is, they are finished with a compound that resists corrosion. The cerrakote finish does the same thing but is a much different shade. In fact, cerrakote comes in a variety of colors. Before you commit to any of the guns on gunbroker, make sure you know what the MSRP is for that model. Check around locally to see if your LGS can get it for you at about the same price. Online auction price + shipping + transfer may not be all that much different than store price + tax (especially since you are legally obligated to pay the tax anyway LOL).

Personally, GET THE BLUE, MAN!:cool:

Last edited:

kdcyyz

The finish on those two guns are the same. It's just the lighting in the photo. Go see both of them in person if you can. The finish on M&Ps from the factory is Melonite. I own three of them (Standard, Pro, and Compact all in 9mm). They are all the same unless you custom Cerakote it. I would just buy which ever one you've got the better deal on.

markush

The finish on those two guns are the same. It's just the lighting in the photo. Go see both of them in person if you can. The finish on M&Ps from the factory is Melonite. I own three of them (Standard, Pro, and Compact all in 9mm). They are all the same unless you custom Cerakote it. I would just buy which ever one you've got the better deal on.

kdcyyz is absolutely correct...I think a little time spend on S&W's website would confirm the same thing.

WalkingWolf

I suggest looking online at sellers other than auction sites for deals. Bud's guns has some very good deals on guns, and they ship free. My LGS only charges $25 for paperwork/transfer. I haven't looked for some time but a new M&P was around $440 on Bud's.

As to the finish most guns are blued, but the final finish on the gun often makes the guns look different. The slide on the M&P is stainless so the finish may not be typical bluing but a chemical coating. Stainless does not blue very well, it mostly turns grey.

solus

ok, i am confused since you didn't provide any type of comparison between the two M&Ps nor the FNX

...the FNX at buds is $551 and the M&P 9 Pro is $538...both with free shipping...where is the decision here as the FNX is a far superior firearm?

by the time the bleu'n wears off to make a difference, the world as we know it will have been hit by a meteorite or two!!

keep us apprised how the purchase transpires and when you get your new firearm.

oh, have you taken any type of firearm handling course, e.g., NRA's basic pistol course?

ipse

Last edited:

NC-Heel

The slide and barrel are Stainless. The metal is Carbo-nitrated and the coating is called "Blacking" by S&W. It does have a blueish tint to it though.

Vagrant

ok, i am confused since you didn't provide any type of comparison between the two M&Ps nor the FNX

...the FNX at buds is $551 and the M&P 9 Pro is $538...both with free shipping...where is the decision here as the FNX is a far superior firearm?

by the time the bleu'n wears off to make a difference, the world as we know it will have been hit by a meteorite or two!!

keep us apprised how the purchase transpires and when you get your new firearm.

oh, have you taken any type of firearm handling course, e.g., NRA's basic pistol course?

ipse

It wasnt about which one was "superior" thats a foolish endeavor, it was about which one I could get affordably and the features of each, when you compare the two they are not big differences, I got the M&P from a store in Coshocton,Ohio for 390 bucks, there was no way I was going to get an FN FNX for that price range, and in itself M&P has more accessories , so I bit.

solus

It wasnt about which one was "superior" thats a foolish endeavor, it was about which one I could get affordably and the features of each, when you compare the two they are not big differences, I got the M&P from a store in Coshocton,Ohio for 390 bucks, there was no way I was going to get an FN FNX for that price range, and in itself M&P has more accessories , so I bit.

thanks for the comeback it answers a couple questions...enjoy your new firearm.

ipse