• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle citizen threatens me with Citizen Arrest for legal carry

RogueReflections

Broken limb

You should've been arrested for joining the mob hounding to TV station reporter. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're the guy with the gun reported in the news.....

The middle of an illegal riot is not the place to try 2nd amendment advocacy. And your own posted video of encircling the reporters acting aggressively and yelling obscurities in their faces and restricting their movements tells me all I need to know, any action against you is justified on that basis alone.

Filming what I filmed was documenting what was happening. I have nothing to do with those events. Some of my videos can be offensive. I hounded no one. You going out on your limb shows you have already made up your mind and therefore are no longer worth any of my responses. I was not the man arrested for the firearm. I don't believe in restricting movements or blocking people from being free.
At any rate, others may respond to your presumptuous and incorrect assumptions, but I can no longer do so.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Filming what I filmed was documenting what was happening. I have nothing to do with those events. Some of my videos can be offensive. I hounded no one. You going out on your limb shows you have already made up your mind and therefore are no longer worth any of my responses. I was not the man arrested for the firearm. I don't believe in restricting movements or blocking people from being free.
At any rate, others may respond to your presumptuous and incorrect assumptions, but I can no longer do so.

Documenting them at two feet? The camera doesn't lie. You were right there, you could have been further away for the same effect, you would've been indistinguishable from the others in the crowd, maybe less vocal. I don't generally film people so close I can touch then

MontanaResident

Rogue, prior to you recording, did he say that you are under citizen's arrest, or that he should put you are under citizen's arrest, or that he could put you are under citizen's arrest?

I'm not sure about Washington's rules on citizen's arrest.

If should / could, then he was just stating an empty threat, as you know.
BUT, if he said that he is making a citizen's arrest, then you are under arrest, stop talking, stand quietly, and wait for the LEOs.
If he doesn't call them, you should. (That would be an interesting conversation).
Obviously the arrest would be illegal (under what you describe), but once he states that you are under citizen's arrest then you are arrested and detained AND the responsibility and liability falls on him... he has to turn you over to the police, file the proper reports / forms, show up in court, etc.

After the court laughs and throws it out, you counter with a civil suit for false arrest (don't forget to include the stress and mental anguish he put you through) $$$.

Also, early in the video, he is yelling out to the crowd: "this man has a weapon", "this man has a pistol".
Would this fit under "breach of the peace" or disorderly conduct?
If, under Washington law, this attempt to instill fear and panic to the surrounding crowd is illegal, then you could have placed him under citizen's arrest (using only the force necessary to detain him) until you hand him over to the LEOs (video proof copy e-mailed home while waiting, then shown to the officers). I wouldn't, but the possibilities are interesting.

In Oregon, ORS 133.220 allows arrest by private person, and ORS 133.225 gives the details and "A private person making such an arrest shall, without unnecessary delay, take the arrested person before a magistrate or deliver the arrested person to a peace officer." Use of physical force by private person making citizens arrest is detailed in ORS 161.255

While states differ, Oregon and Washington are very similar (but not exact) so research Washington law (and let us know).

And here is how to take an insane situation and make it fully insane. Life is full of nonsence, why give it credibility?

wimwag

You should've been arrested for joining the mob hounding to TV station reporter. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're the guy with the gun reported in the news.....

The middle of an illegal riot is not the place to try 2nd amendment advocacy. And your own posted video of encircling the reporters acting aggressively and yelling obscurities in their faces and restricting their movements tells me all I need to know, any action against you is justified on that basis alone.

Here's how I see it. He was doing some reporting, wasn't getting the angle he desired and risked his safety to get the money shot. Not all journalists are employed. Bloggers like myself included. We do what we do because the truth will always be omitted by the corporate news stations.

If I ever get some decent video equipment, that's where I'll be.

wimwag

I didn't see him doing any of that and I've been watching his videos. He was simply documenting the event via video. Hell, his posted videos may help police to arrest those committing crimes. And citizens engaged in illegal activity too.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
part one...The middle of an illegal riot is not the place to try 2nd amendment advocacy.........................
part two.................yelling obscurities in their faces and restricting their movements tells me all I need to know,
part three.....any action against you is justified on that basis alone.

Part one.. Where do you go to get the "memo" on where you will be needing your weapon today? I would like to see that.

part two..Yelling, by itself, is legal. Yelling "obscurities" would probably not be understood by most anyway.

Part three.. What "action" do you suggest for his "crimes" and just what crime did he commit?

You are beginning to test the limitations of my medication.

EMNofSeattle

Part one.. Where do you go to get the "memo" on where you will be needing your weapon today? I would like to see that.

part two..Yelling, by itself, is legal. Yelling "obscurities" would probably not be understood by most anyway.

Part three.. What "action" do you suggest for his "crimes" and just what crime did he commit?

You are beginning to test the limitations of my medication.

Disorderly conduct, menacing, any number of offenses, what action? arrested, thrown in jail, fined. if he resists, maybe a tazing.

how about riot? r criminal mischief?

RCW 9A.84.010
Criminal mischief. (Effective January 1, 2014.)

(1) A person is guilty of the crime of criminal mischief if, acting with three or more other persons, he or she knowingly and unlawfully uses or threatens to use force, or in any way participates in the use of such force, against any other person or against property.

(2)(a) Except as provided in (b) of this subsection, the crime of criminal mischief is a gross misdemeanor.

(b) The crime of criminal mischief is a class C felony if the actor is armed with a deadly weapon.

I'll bet you'd have seriously considering popping one of that group if they were standing 6 inches from your face trying to incite trouble by yelling F%&* YOU and "DONT F*&$%ING TOUCH ME...... and every time you tried to leave they regrouped and stood in front of your way.....
I don't go to events like mayday, so my gun will stay with me at home. last time I was in seattle on mayday these freaks tried to harass me because I was dressed nice (because I was applying for job, to be a productive member of society and not Woodstock episode 2
His videos of him at Mayday make it clear he was not just a citizen journalist, he was active participant in the "festivities".

maybe it's hard to feel sympathy because i regularily open carry in Seattle and have had no issues at all. I tire of this attitude to where people will make unfounded accusations against the police, claim they have evidence, but won't release it because they percieve it will lower their chance of a payday on my dime.

and look at his video of the "citizens arrest" guy and his video of ensnaring the TV reporters, the guy yelling the F-bombs looks almost exactly like the guy threatening RR with citizens arrest. note the daytime in the TV reporter video, and after dark in the CA video. what if they are the same guy? could that point to a staged event? considering the wild accusations with no evidence to support them against SPD (and not just RR, NO ONE on YT has footage anything like what RR claims to have witnessed) it wouldn't surprise me

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

Disorderly conduct, menacing, any number of offenses, what action? arrested, thrown in jail, fined. if he resists, maybe a tazing.

how about riot? r criminal mischief?

I'll bet you'd have seriously considering popping one of that group if they were standing 6 inches from your face trying to incite trouble by yelling F%&* YOU and "DONT F*&$%ING TOUCH ME...... and every time you tried to leave they regrouped and stood in front of your way.....
I don't go to events like mayday, so my gun will stay with me at home. last time I was in seattle on mayday these freaks tried to harass me because I was dressed nice (because I was applying for job, to be a productive member of society and not Woodstock episode 2
His videos of him at Mayday make it clear he was not just a citizen journalist, he was active participant in the "festivities".

maybe it's hard to feel sympathy because i regularily open carry in Seattle and have had no issues at all. I tire of this attitude to where people will make unfounded accusations against the police, claim they have evidence, but won't release it because they percieve it will lower their chance of a payday on my dime.

and look at his video of the "citizens arrest" guy and his video of ensnaring the TV reporters, the guy yelling the F-bombs looks almost exactly like the guy threatening RR with citizens arrest. note the daytime in the TV reporter video, and after dark in the CA video. what if they are the same guy? could that point to a staged event? considering the wild accusations with no evidence to support them against SPD (and not just RR, NO ONE on YT has footage anything like what RR claims to have witnessed) it wouldn't surprise me

ERIC,
Take a chill pill and get a grip.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I tire of this attitude to where people will make unfounded accusations against the police, claim they have evidence, but won't release it because they percieve it will lower their chance of a payday on my dime.

:lol:

A: Way to blame the victim.

B: You love paying taxes. Quit yer bellyachin'.

Geerolla

The adults marched in the afternoon and made their point peacefully, like adults. The kids came out at night. Happens every year.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

RogueReflections

Street videography

Here's how I see it. He was doing some reporting, wasn't getting the angle he desired and risked his safety to get the money shot. Not all journalists are employed. Bloggers like myself included. We do what we do because the truth will always be omitted by the corporate news stations.

If I ever get some decent video equipment, that's where I'll be.

Indeed. Street videography, without the use of special equipment, requires getting close enough to the action to not only get visual images, but also to have the audio picked up by in in-camera mic. My video "Open Carry Discussion on the Streets of Seattle" would have been a thousand times better if the discussion could have actually been heard. My associate was standing approximately 5 feet away and there is basically no perceivable conversation.
I heard there would have been people speaking out against mainstream media. I purposed to document it if I saw it. The guy in the video that is filming the KIRO people happens to be the same guy as my citizen arrest fail video. He is also in another video entitled "Seattle Anti-Police Brutality March. Evidently he is a big name in the activist world. To protect his privacy, I choose not to share his name, but he is well known as an activist. I think he is quite misguided, but he simply makes for a good video. LOL.
With regards to your blogging: you don't have to have high end equipment. Many of my videos are filmed on a Canon HS-300 pocket camera. All you really have to do is get in there and let the events and people tell their own story. While the only criminal activity I witnessed came from Seattle PD, I would be naive to think no one else engaged in any. I just did not personally witness any other crime. I have always been supportive of SPD and have, on many occasions, written their OPA, with examples of good videos, requesting they commend those officers involved, in front of their peers, for a job well done. Until this particular event, I was under the assumption that SPD and I shared a wonderfully positive and professional rapport.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/

And the result? Even "smart gun" mandates' biggest boosters are starting to realize that threats to require "smart guns" are the biggest obstacle to the guns ever making it to gun dealers' shelves, and now, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Senator Weinberg may soon ask the New Jersey legislature to repeal her law:

As predictable as night following day.

I hope these laws are repealed. The technology does deserve a chance, on free market terms.

sudden valley gunner

EMN would have scolded those pesky brits living in the Americas who did many of the things he just mentioned. Shame on them for not following the edicts of their rulers!