• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Boulder County

LibertyReloaded

OC Boulder County Questions

All,

I'll be visiting Colorado next week after 9 months away and will be primarily in Boulder County. I will, however, be going through RMNP and over into Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

I am aware of the Denver ban and recent normal capacity magazine ban. Are there any other recent cases/experiences/laws/encounters of which I should be aware?

As I understand it:
- Denver is off-limits
- Permit to OC In a car
- Open space, national parks, state parks, etc are all authorized
- Campus Carry is now approved (will be going to The Hill in Boulder)
- Local ordinances may prevent OC in public spaces, but has to be clearly marked at all entrances

Is any of that not correct?

Last edited:

Dario

All,

I'll be visiting Colorado next week after 9 months away and will be primarily in Boulder County. I will, however, be going through RMNP and over into Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

I am aware of the Denver ban and recent normal capacity magazine ban. Are there any other recent cases/experiences/laws/encounters of which I should be aware?

As I understand it:
- Denver is off-limits
- Permit to OC In a car
- Local ordinances may prevent OC in public spaces, but has to be clearly marked at all entrances

There is no permit needed to carry in a car. Loaded handguns can not be accessible to minors so must be kept holstered or in a lockbox when children are in the car. Long guns must be unloaded.

Also the magazine ban only applies to magazines that hold more than 15 rounds that may have been acquired after July 1, 2013 (One could on for days on how stupid this law is).

HTH

Last edited:

JG_Buffalo

All,

As I understand it:
- Denver is off-limits
- Permit to OC In a car

Denver is off limits to OC, you can CC with permit
CC and OC are permitted in car without permit
OC permitted everywhere except as posted
"The Hill" isn't technically campus and CC on campus has been de jure for ~10 years
Going to school in Boulder for 3 years the only places I've seen "No guns" sign was in the library and the city council chambers. Probably the courthouse and sheriffs office too, other than that just keep an eye out.

OC is very rare in Boulder county, and the local ordinances banning OC (preempted by state law in 2004) are still on the books (they may not have been challenged in court yet). Hopefully the cops know that the local ordinance is defunct. The city/county government are not friends of the 2nd amendment and may harass you whenever possible.

Please tell us how it goes!