Thread: Framing the danger of guns as a public health risk will change the gun control debate

Framing the danger of guns as a public health risk will change the gun control debate

The problem is that supporters of new gun restrictions have traditionally approached the issue of gun violence as a political problem to be answered by changing laws. Instead, we need to start looking at guns as a public health problem to be answered by changing minds and habits. Until we change how we frame the debate through our messaging and strategy, the landscape for common-sense gun laws will only become increasingly hostile.
    [ ... ]
    What would a public health approach look like?
    First, ...
    Second, ...
    Third, ...
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...5a6_story.html

Agitprop! The term agitprop originated in the Russian SFSR (which later joined the Soviet Union), as a shortened form of отдел агитации и пропаганды (otdel agitatsii i propagandy), i.e., Department for Agitation and Propaganda, which was part of the Central and regional committees of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union. The department was later renamed Ideological Department. (Wikipedia)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framin...urther_reading A huge, 50 item list.

Now we know the impetus behind the recent armed Victims of Bullying study.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-05-2014 at 06:35 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Second, it would point toward solutions that might appeal to both sides in the debate — such as incentives for gun buyers to choose a weapon designed so it cannot be fired by anyone other than its owner. Positioned as a way to reduce accidents and thefts, this could appeal to responsible gun owners.
    From link above ^^

There it is again .. this mythical "responsible gun owner".

I am not a "responsible gun owner"; I am not an "irresponsible gun owner". I am a lawful gun owner.

I would say that a "responsible physician" should have his records open to the public so that a potential client can evaluate the physician's competency and philosophies for himself ~ after all one places their life in a physicians hands on occasion.

I would say that a "responsible legislator" should have all his calls and meetings recorded and made immediately available to the public.

I would say that a "responsible judge" should have a Q&A session about any decision he makes.

The "responsible gun owner" is a phrase meant to disarm argument. I do not fall for such terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Second, it would point toward solutions that might appeal to both sides in the debate — such as incentives for gun buyers to choose a weapon designed so it cannot be fired by anyone other than its owner. Positioned as a way to reduce accidents and thefts, this could appeal to responsible gun owners.
    From link above ^^

I am not a "responsible gun owner"; I am not an "irresponsible gun owner". I am a lawful gun owner.

I would say that a "responsible physician" should have his records open to the public so that a potential client can evaluate the physician's competency and philosophies for himself ~ after all one places their life in a physicians hands on occasion.

I would say that a "responsible legislator" should have all his calls and meetings recorded and made immediately available to the public.

I would say that a "responsible judge" should have a Q&A session about any decision he makes.

The "responsible gun owner" is a phrase meant to disarm argument. I do not fall for such terminology.
    +1

Sent from my SCH-R680 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    From link above ^^

+1 Good post; focused on the issue being discussed, straightforward examples pointing out the flaws.
    One of the few occasions I completely agree with what you post.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke