• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

filing notice of treapass towns/city's within ct

sidelinellc

between windsor and north grandby, Connecticut, US
I understand it's been covered on this board, but more specifically, what is the proper procedure CT folks have used when filing notice of trespass with town agencies to keep them legally off there property?

To be fare, I am referencing all agencies in this request, not just Leo's.

Examples welcome

Last edited:

Primus

Also watching closely. Something I'm not sure believe exists. Willing to be proven wrong though.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

davidmcbeth

Banned
I understand it's been covered on this board, but more specifically, what is the proper procedure CT folks have used when filing notice of trespass with town agencies to keep them legally off there property?

To be fare, I am referencing all agencies in this request, not just Leo's.

Examples welcome

NOTICE OF TRESPASS

This Notice of TRESPASS is given to the City of XXX, address: blah blah blah

All or ANY employees of the City of XXX who enter onto my property, located at:
My property address
Shall be trespassing on the property and be subject to immediate arrest.
Do not enter the property for any reason. No further warning will be given.

There is no perfect notice ... it's just a notice ... stating who is subject to the notice and the property and stating your control over the property. Give to clerk of town/city .. and cc the Chief of Police as a courtesy. Keep a file stamped copy for your records. You can file a FOIA request for a copy that they have ... proving that they did indeed get it without question (although your file stamped copy should be golden).

Of course, cops can still enter your property if they have a right to enter. Warrants, arrests, etc.

But the notice keeps them away from knocking on your door for any/no reason. If a person violates the notice, call the cops. You do not have to speak to them ~ they already have been told to stay off.

A notice of trespass is to avoid confrontation ~ not to instigate it.

In CT one can issue such a notice and it has the effect desired; in other locations, who knows, the worst it can be is a non-valid instrument. But still, you call the police and say there is a trespasser in violation of your notice...it will go from there.

Last edited:

Primus

NOTICE OF TRESPASS

This Notice of TRESPASS is given to the City of XXX, address: blah blah blah

All or ANY employees of the City of XXX who enter onto my property, located at:
My property address
Shall be trespassing on the property and be subject to immediate arrest.
Do not enter the property for any reason. No further warning will be given.

There is no perfect notice ... it's just a notice ... stating who is subject to the notice and the property and stating your control over the property. Give to clerk of town/city .. and cc the Chief of Police as a courtesy. Keep a file stamped copy for your records. You can file a FOIA request for a copy that they have ... proving that they did indeed get it without question (although your file stamped copy should be golden).

Of course, cops can still enter your property if they have a right to enter. Warrants, arrests, etc.

But the notice keeps them away from knocking on your door for any/no reason. If a person violates the notice, call the cops. You do not have to speak to them ~ they already have been told to stay off.

A notice of trespass is to avoid confrontation ~ not to instigate it.

In CT one can issue such a notice and it has the effect desired; in other locations, who knows, the worst it can be is a non-valid instrument. But still, you call the police and say there is a trespasser in violation of your notice...it will go from there.

Is there any case law or any examples of this in use? Or even the statute that lays out the usage?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Is there any case law or any examples of this in use? Or even the statute that lays out the usage?

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...rcement-departments&highlight=notice+trespass

I have posted information on this several times .. ex: above, post #39 with some links...

Its all state dependent ... a google scholar search may answer ? about your specific one of interest, if you have one.

Some of the links are dead ... some examples are still linked on the post #39 ... some examples give statutory references. Such is the way of the internet.

Last edited:

Primus

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...rcement-departments&highlight=notice+trespass

I have posted information on this several times .. ex: above, post #39 with some links...

Its all state dependent ... a google scholar search may answer ? about your specific one of interest, if you have one.

Some of the links are dead ... some examples are still linked on the post #39 ... some examples give statutory references. Such is the way of the internet.

Thank you