Thread: Visiting Memphis

Visiting Memphis

Does Tennessee honor Missouri permits for conceil carry?

yes, TN honors any valid HCP or CCW permit. You may CC or OC in Tennessee. Keep in mind, TN law does require you to present your permit upon request of an LEO. We had hoped to change that this year but it got hung up in the budget committee.

Im an AR resident (live just across the river) but i OC all the time in memphis. About two weeks ago, i was finally asked for my permit by two officers that came into starbucks behind me. Showed them my permit, then DL and enjoyed a good convo about my kimber raptor.

Thanks so much! Missouri hopefully will be following with the OC part....

Quote Originally Posted by jad316 View Post
    Thanks so much! Missouri hopefully will be following with the OC part....
    I visited branson in january this year. Apparently MO is an OC state but cities can preempt the state which makes it very confusing. While in branson, we were inevitably stuck in downtown traffic . While sitting the in the car next to two LEOs that were mindlessly waving their arms at traffic, i asked the nearest one if OC was legal. He just shrugged his shoulders and said "yeah, if you have a permit". The other officer (who was about 5'3") piped up in a mickey mouse voice and asked what i said. the other officer said, he asked if he can open carry his weapon. The second officer vehemently denied the right to OC and said branson has a city ordinance against it. I was going to push the issue and ask what the ordinance is but traffic started moving again and besides, it was winter so i just used my OTW holster but i always had a jacket on so it was a mute point.

I dabbled in your MO forum after that a little bit. you definitely have a patchwork of confusing carry laws.

Thats why I nvr open carry....Just wish oneday I would have the option to if I feel like it!

Quote Originally Posted by jad316 View Post
    Thats why I nvr open carry....Just wish oneday I would have the option to if I feel like it!
    Well, you can when you come to TN!

So our trip to Memphis was a success! It was a very good trip and we enjoyed our anniversary weekend. I didnt notice anyone open carrying while their but I like the idea of having the option. Thats what it should be about being able to if you chose to do so. We will def be coming back next year!