Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really bothered by somthing.( GoodWill)

Really bothered by somthing.( GoodWill)

Hey everyone just posting this to left of a lil steam I am a legal CCW gun owner and earlier today i was asked to leave goodwill. When i inquired as to why they said it was because i couldn't carry weapon on me(I was open carrying at the time) I responded with that i am licensed to carry my weapon and they told me it didn't matter it was company policy. So i didnt want to start an uproar i was like ok ill go put it in my friends car then. I went to get the key to the vehicle i was in( the manager followed me the entire time btw witch made me feel very uncomfortable) on my way out the door i looked to see if there was a sign or anything saying i couldn't carry inside, There was no sign that i could locate (checked both doors). I put my weapon in the car and locked the doors. I just couldn't help but feel like i was some what violated by this i have no problem putting my weapon in the car if theres a sign or something there to inform me. Instead i was made to feel like a criminal for exercising my Second Amendment rights. Im licensed i went through my background check and fingerprints i just feel like this is somehow wrong.

Walk away and take your money with you. "No gun, no money."
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Banned
    You are free to file a civil rights lawsuit if you choose.

Welcome to the forum !

I think you did well (except for going back lol)

Well my friend was in there and i couldnt leave her lol

Good thing the car wasn't broken into and the firearm stolen after at least one person saw you putting it in there and leaving it.

Put that, and your feelings about the encounter, into a nice letter to corporate, along with the promise to never return.

If we ALL did it, it would help.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Pretty sure that is Goodwill's stance nationwide. Spend your money and donate your stuff elsewhere.

Well you could have said 'If I put it in the car and someone breaks into the car and robs your store, aren't you gonna feel foolish?'

Further: video him asking you, ask him his name. When he says why?, say "In fact, if it's stolen I'm going to personally sue you, and if the store is held up and I'm put at risk because you disarmed me a law abiding citizen, I'm going to sue you and the store, got it?"

The Goodwill in My Area does have a Company Policy which does Prohibit Firearms.

Private Property Rights are Paramount, and Georgia State Law does Codify that Goodwill has The Right to Bar Firearms in, on, or within Their Private Property.

If Goodwills' Policies are Repugnant to Your Beliefs, as They are Mine, just Simply go Elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    The Goodwill in My Area does have a Company Policy which does Prohibit Firearms.

Private Property Rights are Paramount, and Georgia State Law does Codify that Goodwill has The Right to Bar Firearms in, on, or within Their Private Property.

If Goodwills' Policies are Repugnant to Your Beliefs, as They are Mine, just Simply go Elsewhere.
    +1
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    [ ... ] If Goodwills' Policies are Repugnant to Your Beliefs, as They are Mine, just Simply go Elsewhere.
    And the Red Cross.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

All stores in the Atlanta area have signs posted on the door at the entrance, they clearly show no guns are allowed. If this bothers you on a principle I'd suggest shopping at a Salvation Army store where there are no such signs.

So I had just finished reading this one. Clicked back to the forum and saw Goodwill Hiring on the ad banner. Gotta love the Google ad manager...

R/
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Josh902 View Post
    Im licensed i went through my background check and fingerprints
    Relevance?

No gun...no money. The other day my wife and I went out for lunch. While entering TGIFridays we noticed a "No Guns" signs. We turned around and left. Chili's has better food anyway.
    Tomcatt

If you are in Georgia and have a Georgia Weapons Carry License it's not a CCW license. In Ga you can carry openly or concealed with the GWCL, there is no concealed carry permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcatt View Post
    No gun...no money. The other day my wife and I went out for lunch. While entering TGIFridays we noticed a "No Guns" signs. We turned around and left. Chili's has better food anyway.
    Tomcatt

Chillis banned guns June 1st. As did Sonic.

http://www.newsmax.com/US/Sonic-Chil.../01/id/574501/

Target as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5551101.html

I suggest people write to their local AND head office stating that you respect their private property rights and will no longer do business there as they don't respect the Constitution and your 2nd amendment rights.

I would also state that many of the estimated 100 million firearm owners, will also likely view their policy the same.

Be polite, and wish them a happy and successful future with their remaining customers.

:-)

Inform the business that you will be placing them on a "do not shop there" list. Tell them that you will be recommending to everyone you know and who will listen they they too do not shop there.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Josh902 View Post
    Hey everyone just posting this to left of a lil steam I am a legal CCW gun owner and earlier today i was asked to leave goodwill. When i inquired as to why they said it was because i couldn't carry weapon on me(I was open carrying at the time) I responded with that i am licensed to carry my weapon and they told me it didn't matter it was company policy. So i didnt want to start an uproar i was like ok ill go put it in my friends car then. I went to get the key to the vehicle i was in( the manager followed me the entire time btw witch made me feel very uncomfortable) on my way out the door i looked to see if there was a sign or anything saying i couldn't carry inside, There was no sign that i could locate (checked both doors). I put my weapon in the car and locked the doors. I just couldn't help but feel like i was some what violated by this i have no problem putting my weapon in the car if theres a sign or something there to inform me. Instead i was made to feel like a criminal for exercising my Second Amendment rights. Im licensed i went through my background check and fingerprints i just feel like this is somehow wrong.
    Isn't it wrong to have to be fingerprinted to exercise a right?
    What I told my wife when she said my steel Baby Eagle .45 was heavy, "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it doesn't work you could always hit him with it."-Boris the Blade

MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by ron73440 View Post
    Neither OC nor CCW is a right. It's against the law. http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/gacode/default.asp

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126

GEORGIA CODE
    Copyright 2014 by The State of Georgia
    All rights reserved.

*** Current Through the 2014 Regular Session ***

TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES
    CHAPTER 11. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
    ARTICLE 4. DANGEROUS INSTRUMENTALITIES AND PRACTICES
    PART 3. CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126 (2014)

(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.
    (h) (1) No person shall carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license unless he or she meets one of the exceptions to having such license as provided in subsections (a) through (g) of this Code section.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by ron73440 View Post
    Yes.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    Pretty sure that is Goodwill's stance nationwide. Spend your money and donate your stuff elsewhere.
    Goodwill in the Greater Richmond, Va. market has no such signs. I OC in them regularly w/o incident.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Inform the business that you will be placing them on a "do not shop there" list. Tell them that you will be recommending to everyone you know and who will listen they they too do not shop there.
    Most of these stores do not care about your letter. They do not publicize their rules about carry... they know that 95% of their carrying cusotmers will never know about the policies, and conceal and never know any difference and keep spending money.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Neither OC nor CCW is a right. It's against the law.
    Incorrect. Having and bearing arms is a right. The government has passed laws unconstitutionally to infringe on it, but its still a right, even if its illegal.

Beyond all that... I wish people would stop going to Goodwill and put that company out of business. Just do some Google searching on how horrid of a company they are and how the founder is a billionaire (from profits from Goodwill) not caring to help anyones goodwill but his own.
    Last edited by cjohnson44546; 07-16-2014 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    [ ... ] Just do some Google searching on how horrid of a company they are and how the founder is a billionaire (from profits from Goodwill) not caring to help anyones goodwill but his own.
    The founder of Goodwill Industries Rev. Edgar J. Helms has been dead since 1942. Ordained as he was while ordination meant something, frequently vows of poverty, it's unlikely that he was ever a billionaire. Indeed, John D. Rockefeller is the first billionaire and was a contemporary, so much better known making it more unlikely Helms was particularly wealthy.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

josh902:

Georgia Code Section 16-11-127(c) Authorizes a Private Property Owner to make whatever Policy They Wish in Regards to Firearms in, on, or within Their Property.

Like it or not, Goodwill is a Private Company, and Hence, Georgia Code Section 16-11-127(c) Applies.

Just Find another Place that Allows Firearms and Shop There Instead.

aadvark

Open carry in businesses

This is directly from Georgiacarry.org FAQ site and while this is referring to restaurants, it applies to any business location. Businesses are NOT public property, but private property so they have the right to set their own rules. While many here feel they will just take their business elsewhere, many, many others would do the same should these businesses allow folks to openly carry guns. Try concealing it and no one will ever question you. A little compromise would go along way for everyone concerned:

Q: Can I carry at Applebee’s or [insert other restaurant here]?
    A: SB308 does not prohibit carry for Georgia Weapons License holders in restaurants. However, individual restaurant owners have the option of asking you to leave their establishment if they do not wish for you to carry there. Should a business owner or his agent ask you to leave while you are carrying a firearm, do so immediately, or as soon as reasonably possible. Failure to leave within a reasonable time, or refusing to leave, is a criminal offense known as “criminal trespass.” In addition, please maintain a polite demeanor so as to project a good image of yourself and other GCO members to the business owner and any witnesses even when being asked to leave.

Again this applies to any business of any type. Respect their rights as well, it is not all about "your" rights. Everyone has rights, and because it is their property their rules apply. Just as in your home your rules apply. If this is about rights, then respect the rights of businesses to do as they see fit. You are welcome to vote with your feet by leaving, but creating a scene, trying to argue with them, etc is NOT your right. You make it worse for everyone else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast