• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Really bothered by somthing.( GoodWill)

cjohnson44546

Inform the business that you will be placing them on a "do not shop there" list. Tell them that you will be recommending to everyone you know and who will listen they they too do not shop there.
Most of these stores do not care about your letter. They do not publicize their rules about carry... they know that 95% of their carrying cusotmers will never know about the policies, and conceal and never know any difference and keep spending money.

Neither OC nor CCW is a right. It's against the law.
Incorrect. Having and bearing arms is a right. The government has passed laws unconstitutionally to infringe on it, but its still a right, even if its illegal.

Beyond all that... I wish people would stop going to Goodwill and put that company out of business. Just do some Google searching on how horrid of a company they are and how the founder is a billionaire (from profits from Goodwill) not caring to help anyones goodwill but his own.

Last edited:

aadvark

josh902:

Georgia Code Section 16-11-127(c) Authorizes a Private Property Owner to make whatever Policy They Wish in Regards to Firearms in, on, or within Their Property.

Like it or not, Goodwill is a Private Company, and Hence, Georgia Code Section 16-11-127(c) Applies.

Just Find another Place that Allows Firearms and Shop There Instead.

aadvark

Tibbar

Open carry in businesses

This is directly from Georgiacarry.org FAQ site and while this is referring to restaurants, it applies to any business location. Businesses are NOT public property, but private property so they have the right to set their own rules. While many here feel they will just take their business elsewhere, many, many others would do the same should these businesses allow folks to openly carry guns. Try concealing it and no one will ever question you. A little compromise would go along way for everyone concerned:

Q: Can I carry at Applebee’s or [insert other restaurant here]?
A: SB308 does not prohibit carry for Georgia Weapons License holders in restaurants. However, individual restaurant owners have the option of asking you to leave their establishment if they do not wish for you to carry there. Should a business owner or his agent ask you to leave while you are carrying a firearm, do so immediately, or as soon as reasonably possible. Failure to leave within a reasonable time, or refusing to leave, is a criminal offense known as “criminal trespass.” In addition, please maintain a polite demeanor so as to project a good image of yourself and other GCO members to the business owner and any witnesses even when being asked to leave.

Again this applies to any business of any type. Respect their rights as well, it is not all about "your" rights. Everyone has rights, and because it is their property their rules apply. Just as in your home your rules apply. If this is about rights, then respect the rights of businesses to do as they see fit. You are welcome to vote with your feet by leaving, but creating a scene, trying to argue with them, etc is NOT your right. You make it worse for everyone else.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
This is directly from Georgiacarry.org FAQ site and while this is referring to restaurants, it applies to any business location. Businesses are NOT public property, but private property so they have the right to set their own rules. While many here feel they will just take their business elsewhere, many, many others would do the same should these businesses allow folks to openly carry guns...

Where do you make this assumption? Because it most certainly is not true in many states, and I rarely think of Georgia when I think of the usual suspects.

You're new here, and we welcome you and your input, but please understand our rules which require you to somehow cite evidence when making such an outlandish claim.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
This is directly from Georgiacarry.org FAQ site and while this is referring to restaurants, it applies to any business location. Businesses are NOT public property, but private property so they have the right to set their own rules. While many here feel they will just take their business elsewhere, many, many others would do the same should these businesses allow folks to openly carry guns.

I doubt that. Very few folks are invested enough in the anti-gun agenda to actually do things like find another restaurant. This is in contrast to most OCers, who don't think twice about avoiding businesses we don't wish to finance. Plus, it's easier for us than it is for them, because the vast majority of businesses have no problem with OC.

Try concealing it and no one will ever question you. A little compromise would go along way for everyone concerned:

Compromise? Eschewing my natural human/civil right in favor of mere privilege is hardly a compromise.

Your logic:

"Some folks don't like minorities, so if you're a minority you should do those racists a favor and shackle yourself. A little compromise goes a long way."

That's forgetting the fact that CC has zero tactical advantage (unless you're a criminal or have fantasies of heroism), while OC has many. That's forgetting the fact that CC has no ability to normalize carry in the eyes of those who do not, themselves, carry, while OC has infinite ability to do so.

I think you'll find that most of us have outgrown the James Yeager approach to life, and are able to hold views which are the product of reason, rather than group-think consensus deriving from youtube. Point being, you'll have to do a lot better than this tripe.

Last edited:

Tibbar

really?

You cause more trouble by making your "point" with open carry in business establishments such as family restaurants, etc. I am in favor of gun ownership, but I promise you I have, and will, ask anyone who enters my business with a weapon in view of others to not bring it in my place of business. I will lose far more business allowing that to happen then I ever will upsetting someone with no common sense in their approach to carrying around weapons openly in someone else's business. You want to make a point, you invest in a business and carry openly to your hearts content. As for me I will not allow it, and have not allowed it. It will never happen, the only exception being someone with a clearly visible law enforcement badge or security I have hired. No exceptions, not ever, for anyone. Business is tough enough with out dealing with the ramifications that would result from allowing folks to oc in my place. Businesses are private property, and all it takes under the law is for a person to be asked to leave and them not immediately doing so for it to become criminal trespass which is punishable by up to 12 months in jail and a $1000.00 fine in the state of Georgia. I will not tolerate someone trying to make a point or change public attitudes towards OC at the expense of my business. There is no shame in compromise, keep it out of sight and no one will ever know. That is the only way to enter someone else's businesses without their express permission. No sign is required, assume you can not, unless told otherwise. You want progress to be made then be smart in how your use your rights. You have the right to swing your arms about freely until it comes into contact with someone's nose. You have no right to inflict harm on others ever, and that includes economic harm by causing business owners to lose customers by you using their facilities to exercise your rights at the expense of the business owner.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Pretty sure that is Goodwill's stance nationwide. Spend your money and donate your stuff elsewhere.

Goodwill in the Greater Richmond, Va. market has no such signs. I OC in them regularly w/o incident.

I OC in my local Goodwill. The ladies there have supported all of us who shop there while open carrying. I think it may be the attitudes of your locals. Washington is gun friendly (seattle is not) and everyone follows State law.

Tibbar, I hope you see this, but I think you are just a drive by.
I am sorry that you seem to have an innate fear of weapons. Yes, you do, I see people like you all the time. I do not carry my pistol to make a "statement". I carry it to be safe in my life. I do not threaten, I do not "scare people", I am just an old guy that just happens to be openly carrying a pistol, well holstered. If I shop in your store with a t-shirt over it, you would be happy because you do not see the firearm. OCing scares hell out of you.
I was in a shop that I had been frequenting for years. I asked for information from an employee, he helped me, and then told me to "cover up that thing, you're scarring the other customers". He was new in the shop, he was a Pakistani immigrant, he was lying. I understood where he was "coming from". If you do not like, or are afraid of weapons, man up and admit it. Put a bloody sign in your window. Don't put the blame on an open carrier keeping people out of your stores. You will be creating another "gun free/please rob me" zone. Sad

OC for ME

You cause more trouble by making your "point" with open carry in business establishments such as family restaurants, etc. I am in favor of gun ownership, but I promise you I have, and will, ask anyone who enters my business with a weapon in view of others to not bring it in my place of business. I will lose far more business allowing that to happen then I ever will upsetting someone with no common sense in their approach to carrying around weapons openly in someone else's business. You want to make a point, you invest in a business and carry openly to your hearts content. As for me I will not allow it, and have not allowed it. It will never happen, the only exception being someone with a clearly visible law enforcement badge or security I have hired. No exceptions, not ever, for anyone. Business is tough enough with out dealing with the ramifications that would result from allowing folks to oc in my place. Businesses are private property, and all it takes under the law is for a person to be asked to leave and them not immediately doing so for it to become criminal trespass which is punishable by up to 12 months in jail and a $1000.00 fine in the state of Georgia. I will not tolerate someone trying to make a point or change public attitudes towards OC at the expense of my business. There is no shame in compromise, keep it out of sight and no one will ever know. That is the only way to enter someone else's businesses without their express permission. No sign is required, assume you can not, unless told otherwise. You want progress to be made then be smart in how your use your rights. You have the right to swing your arms about freely until it comes into contact with someone's nose. You have no right to inflict harm on others ever, and that includes economic harm by causing business owners to lose customers by you using their facilities to exercise your rights at the expense of the business owner.
This is the quintessential example of a business owner exercising his right of ownership. +1 Sir.

I would/will respect your property right, as a business owner, and do business elsewhere. I'd place your business on a boycott list, if I knew what the name of your business is, that is.

My experience with businesses (I don't own a business) is that few, beyond the owner/staff, have any interest in citizens who OC if the OCd firearm is noticed. The cops get special treatment thing is understandable, some cops can be very vindictive when placed in the same category as the citizenry.

No hard feelings as the saying goes, just business.

Thank you for your perspective and honesty. Be safe and success to you and your business.

solus

tibber, you have been welcomed to the forum which is open to everyone to express their opinion(s) and i have seen quite a few who's opinions have caused me to go ~ 'HUH what are they rambling about?'

however, your post went to the top of my HUH list. while i am sure you are absolutely correct in how you wish to run your private enterprise and do so as you see fit as that is the part of entrepreneurship in America. However, i am afraid i am at a total loss to understand why on earth you would come trotting out to this forum and immediately begin chastising this membership, let's see how did you put it...oh right: quote: ....be smart in how your use your rights. and You have no right to inflict harm on others ever, and that includes economic harm by causing business owners to lose customers by you using their facilities to exercise your rights at the expense of the business owner. unquote

I am afraid you may have been watching way too much tv or reading the wrong reading material tibber. yes there are those in the nation who insist on their 15 minutes of fame by carrying LGs and challenging police and stores then posting their videos on al gore's invention, but the majority of this forum's membership are content to quietly go about their daily activities while carrying a firearm for their family's & their own self protection.

oh and the trespass threat was a nice touch, again for the most part the membership know and follow the law explicitly.

as i indicated, the forum is for everyone to express their opinion and i know your perspective will be listened to but instead of presenting as a posturing peach tree punk, come out, establish, and engage in a viable dialogue listening to what the membership is saying. no, trust me you may not agree with some of the sediments, but that is what precipitates the learning environment out here. we or you might walk away saying...'humm, never thought about that in that perspective!' and your dialogue was a contributing factor.

again welcome

ipse

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...You want to make a point...

h45C90E67

For the record, I am highly in favor of the property rights of business owners. I think you should be allowed to bar Jews, Christians, gays, blacks, and nerds, too.

But UNTIL you say or clearly post that you do, your business that is open to the public should not be assumed to be a bigoted establishment, but one that is open to all members of the paying public.