• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Really bothered by somthing.( GoodWill)

Josh902

Hey everyone just posting this to left of a lil steam I am a legal CCW gun owner and earlier today i was asked to leave goodwill. When i inquired as to why they said it was because i couldn't carry weapon on me(I was open carrying at the time) I responded with that i am licensed to carry my weapon and they told me it didn't matter it was company policy. So i didnt want to start an uproar i was like ok ill go put it in my friends car then. I went to get the key to the vehicle i was in( the manager followed me the entire time btw witch made me feel very uncomfortable) on my way out the door i looked to see if there was a sign or anything saying i couldn't carry inside, There was no sign that i could locate (checked both doors). I put my weapon in the car and locked the doors. I just couldn't help but feel like i was some what violated by this i have no problem putting my weapon in the car if theres a sign or something there to inform me. Instead i was made to feel like a criminal for exercising my Second Amendment rights. Im licensed i went through my background check and fingerprints i just feel like this is somehow wrong.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You are free to file a civil rights lawsuit if you choose.

Welcome to the forum !

I think you did well (except for going back lol)

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Good thing the car wasn't broken into and the firearm stolen after at least one person saw you putting it in there and leaving it.

Put that, and your feelings about the encounter, into a nice letter to corporate, along with the promise to never return.

If we ALL did it, it would help.

Maverick9

Well you could have said 'If I put it in the car and someone breaks into the car and robs your store, aren't you gonna feel foolish?'

Further: video him asking you, ask him his name. When he says why?, say "In fact, if it's stolen I'm going to personally sue you, and if the store is held up and I'm put at risk because you disarmed me a law abiding citizen, I'm going to sue you and the store, got it?"

aadvark

The Goodwill in My Area does have a Company Policy which does Prohibit Firearms.

Private Property Rights are Paramount, and Georgia State Law does Codify that Goodwill has The Right to Bar Firearms in, on, or within Their Private Property.

If Goodwills' Policies are Repugnant to Your Beliefs, as They are Mine, just Simply go Elsewhere.

carolina guy

The Goodwill in My Area does have a Company Policy which does Prohibit Firearms.

Private Property Rights are Paramount, and Georgia State Law does Codify that Goodwill has The Right to Bar Firearms in, on, or within Their Private Property.

If Goodwills' Policies are Repugnant to Your Beliefs, as They are Mine, just Simply go Elsewhere.

+1

Gunluvr

All stores in the Atlanta area have signs posted on the door at the entrance, they clearly show no guns are allowed. If this bothers you on a principle I'd suggest shopping at a Salvation Army store where there are no such signs.

Matthew J. Willis

So I had just finished reading this one. Clicked back to the forum and saw Goodwill Hiring on the ad banner. Gotta love the Google ad manager...

R/
Matt

Tomcatt

No gun...no money. The other day my wife and I went out for lunch. While entering TGIFridays we noticed a "No Guns" signs. We turned around and left. Chili's has better food anyway.
Tomcatt

Johnbo

If you are in Georgia and have a Georgia Weapons Carry License it's not a CCW license. In Ga you can carry openly or concealed with the GWCL, there is no concealed carry permit.

marrandy

No gun...no money. The other day my wife and I went out for lunch. While entering TGIFridays we noticed a "No Guns" signs. We turned around and left. Chili's has better food anyway.
Tomcatt

Chillis banned guns June 1st. As did Sonic.

http://www.newsmax.com/US/Sonic-Chilis-guns-ban/2014/06/01/id/574501/

Target as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/02/target-guns-ban_n_5551101.html

I suggest people write to their local AND head office stating that you respect their private property rights and will no longer do business there as they don't respect the Constitution and your 2nd amendment rights.

I would also state that many of the estimated 100 million firearm owners, will also likely view their policy the same.

Be polite, and wish them a happy and successful future with their remaining customers.

:)

OC for ME

Inform the business that you will be placing them on a "do not shop there" list. Tell them that you will be recommending to everyone you know and who will listen they they too do not shop there.

ron73440

Hey everyone just posting this to left of a lil steam I am a legal CCW gun owner and earlier today i was asked to leave goodwill. When i inquired as to why they said it was because i couldn't carry weapon on me(I was open carrying at the time) I responded with that i am licensed to carry my weapon and they told me it didn't matter it was company policy. So i didnt want to start an uproar i was like ok ill go put it in my friends car then. I went to get the key to the vehicle i was in( the manager followed me the entire time btw witch made me feel very uncomfortable) on my way out the door i looked to see if there was a sign or anything saying i couldn't carry inside, There was no sign that i could locate (checked both doors). I put my weapon in the car and locked the doors. I just couldn't help but feel like i was some what violated by this i have no problem putting my weapon in the car if theres a sign or something there to inform me. Instead i was made to feel like a criminal for exercising my Second Amendment rights. Im licensed i went through my background check and fingerprints i just feel like this is somehow wrong.

Isn't it wrong to have to be fingerprinted to exercise a right?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Isn't it wrong to have to be fingerprinted to exercise a right?

Neither OC nor CCW is a right. It's against the law. http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/gacode/default.asp

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126

GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2014 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current Through the 2014 Regular Session ***

TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES
CHAPTER 11. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
ARTICLE 4. DANGEROUS INSTRUMENTALITIES AND PRACTICES
PART 3. CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126 (2014)

(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.
(h) (1) No person shall carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license unless he or she meets one of the exceptions to having such license as provided in subsections (a) through (g) of this Code section.

stay safe.